cleghorn tips and requirements - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 10-12-2015, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Burgundy2002tj

cleghorn tips and requirements

I been thinking about going to cleghorn for a while now I'm starting to get a little bored of azusa. I was wondering if there are any requirements regarding your rig. I'm currently running 32s with a 2 inch lift and i dont think i have lockers would I be fine? All feedback and tips about the trail is greatly appreciated. Also question when is it open weekends or daily? Entrance fee?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-13-2015, 08:44 AM
BRC_1980
2008 JK Wrangler 

Cleghorn is just twisty. There is a down hill part that says "don't go" but it's not bad. There's another off camber spot coming down that people try to avoid the rock but if you do there's a chance of flipping so you should put your passenger tire on that.

Also on almost every part is a by pass. They have every single way marked so you know if it's moderate or hard. Their black diamond marks are usually way under that. There isn't a black diamond on that trail.
post #3 of 13 Old 10-13-2015, 11:11 PM
suicideking
2006 LJ Wrangler 

You can do most of Cleghorn with a stock Jeep, so 2" should be fine. Do you have rock (side) rails?

Cleghorn doesn't close and doesn't cost anything. There are some sections that were recently closed, but mostly the harder sections. So you will see some fenced off areas on the West side of the mountain.

Best to go with at least one other person, don't go by yourself.
post #4 of 13 Old 10-15-2015, 02:09 AM Thread Starter
Burgundy2002tj

Quote:
Originally Posted by suicideking View Post
You can do most of Cleghorn with a stock Jeep, so 2" should be fine. Do you have rock (side) rails?

Cleghorn doesn't close and doesn't cost anything. There are some sections that were recently closed, but mostly the harder sections. So you will see some fenced off areas on the West side of the mountain.

Best to go with at least one other person, don't go by yourself.
I don't have rock rails. Everything is stock besides lift and tires. I was originally planning on going with somebody else I've had people tell me to go with other people that drive only thing is I don't know many people with a 4x4. Also I was told to dissconect sway bar links I feel very sketchy about this since I've never done it reading up on it saying it could be bad if you don't know the capabilities with it off is it that much of a difference?
post #5 of 13 Old 10-15-2015, 02:11 AM Thread Starter
Burgundy2002tj

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRC_1980 View Post
Cleghorn is just twisty. There is a down hill part that says "don't go" but it's not bad. There's another off camber spot coming down that people try to avoid the rock but if you do there's a chance of flipping so you should put your passenger tire on that.

Also on almost every part is a by pass. They have every single way marked so you know if it's moderate or hard. Their black diamond marks are usually way under that. There isn't a black diamond on that trail.
Is this rock noticeable?
post #6 of 13 Old 10-15-2015, 11:10 AM
ZJ1995
1995 ZJ 

A person was just killed about 2 days ago when they rolled down a hill and always going wheeling in a group

The mind is like a parachute, it works better when open!
95 ZJ UNLimited upcountry suspension ::::: 98 ZJ ProComp Rims Needs a radio(SOLD)
95 XJ Fixed! (SOLD)... F.S. 4.0 I6 130k, 42RE trans and D35 3.73 gears
post #7 of 13 Old 10-15-2015, 12:34 PM
BRC_1980
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgundy2002tj View Post
Is this rock noticeable?
Yeah, it's basically in the middle but for some reason people try to go around. It's not that big of a rock.

Also, if you don't disconnect your sway bar links, especially out there, that won't be good. It's twisty in most spots and if you stay connected, you are going to be on 2-3 wheels a lot with chances of flipping. Whoever told you don't disconnect is wrong.
post #8 of 13 Old 10-15-2015, 12:36 PM
BRC_1980
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJ1995 View Post
A person was just killed about 2 days ago when they rolled down a hill and always going wheeling in a group
In Cleghorn?
post #9 of 13 Old 10-15-2015, 03:00 PM
suicideking
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRC_1980 View Post
In Cleghorn?
http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...F14%2F69912%2F

Unclear if they were on a side trail or the fire road. Sounds like they were going too fast lost control.
post #10 of 13 Old 10-15-2015, 03:16 PM
ZJ1995
1995 ZJ 

Yea. http://rotwnews.com/2015/10/14/69912/

The mind is like a parachute, it works better when open!
95 ZJ UNLimited upcountry suspension ::::: 98 ZJ ProComp Rims Needs a radio(SOLD)
95 XJ Fixed! (SOLD)... F.S. 4.0 I6 130k, 42RE trans and D35 3.73 gears
post #11 of 13 Old 10-15-2015, 03:39 PM
suicideking
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I don't have rock rails. Everything is stock besides lift and tires. I was originally planning on going with somebody else I've had people tell me to go with other people that drive only thing is I don't know many people with a 4x4. Also I was told to dissconect sway bar links I feel very sketchy about this since I've never done it reading up on it saying it could be bad if you don't know the capabilities with it off is it that much of a difference?
Rails aren't required, just good to have. I did Cleghorn a few times when I had a bone stock 2012 JKU. I did most of the trail, skipped a few sections. I had some pin stripes, but no body damage.

Up to you if you want to try it without rails. I've seen people hit the rocker right under a door and not be able to open it afterwards. Didn't see this on Cleghorn, but there's always the possibility of damage.
post #12 of 13 Old 10-15-2015, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Burgundy2002tj

I know there's usually posts about a group going out to cleghorn I can't find any. Do you guys know if there is one up or planning to go? I'm starting to think about waiting to atleast go with a handful of people
post #13 of 13 Old 10-15-2015, 09:43 PM
suicideking
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I know there's usually posts about a group going out to cleghorn I can't find any. Do you guys know if there is one up or planning to go? I'm starting to think about waiting to atleast go with a handful of people
I don't know of any runs for Cleghorn right now. Definitely good to go with a a group though. Now that it's FINALLY cooling off, there will be more Cleghorn runs. Usually in the summer everyone goes to Big Bear.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.