Chain laws - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > Chain laws

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!

Unread 11-16-2012, 04:34 PM   #1
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Lightbulb Chain laws

Just ran across an interesting bit of info concerning our state's chain laws and I'm wondering how many of you have been affected by the third requirement.

Quote:
TYPES OF CHAIN CONTROL
During the winter months motorists may encounter traction device controls in the mountain areas of California. When chain controls are established, signs along side the road will be opened indicating the type of requirement. There are three requirements in California.

Requirement One (R1): Chains or snow tread tires required. Snow tires must have a tread depth of 6/32" with a "M & S" imprint on the tire's sidewall.

Requirement Two (R2): Chains required on all vehicles except four-wheel drives or all-wheel drives with snow tread tires on all four wheels. NOTE: four-wheel and all-wheel drive vehicles must carry traction devices in chain control areas)

Requirement Three (R3): Chains are required on all vehicles, no exceptions.
Taken from here: http://www.dot.ca.gov/dist3/departme...ireschains.htm

I only ask because my tires would not benefit at all from chains especially if aired down to a lower psi.

Unread 11-16-2012, 05:33 PM   #2
Gene13
2007 JK Wrangler 

I have never had chains for any of my 4wheel drives and never been asked if I do and I have driven in some crazy snow storms.
Gene13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2012, 06:54 PM   #3
bananaslug
1996 ZJ 

ARTICLE 4. Tires, Section 27459.
"No person shall operate any motor vehicle, trailer or semitrailer upon any portion of a highway without tire traction devices when that portion of the highway is signed for the requirement of tire traction devices. In any case where a passenger vehicle or motortruck having an unladen weight of 6,000 pounds or less may be required by the Department of Transportation or local authorities to be equipped with tire traction devices, the devices shall be placed on at least two drive wheels, or the department or local authorities may provide, in the alternative, that the vehicle may be equipped with snow-tread tires on at least two drive wheels when the weather and surface conditions at the time are such that the stopping, tractive, and cornering abilities of the snow-tread tires are adequate. The snow-tread tires shall be of a type and design manufactured for use on snow as a replacement for tire chains or tire traction devices, shall be in good condition, and shall bear the marking of M-S, M/S, or other marking indicating that the tire was manufactured for use on snow, or, in the case of tires purchased before January 1, 1987, shall either bear the markings or, in the opinion of the inspecting officer, comply with the tread pattern requirements of Section 558."

In the link, they dont cite to a section of the Vehicle Code that lists those requirements because there isnt one. Not sure why they put that up there. Logically, there wouldnt be a Requirement 1 and 2 if Reguirement 3 were true.
bananaslug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2012, 07:04 PM   #4
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
No person shall use those tires on four-wheel drive vehicles in
place of tire traction devices whenever weather and roadway
conditions at the time are such that the stopping, tractive, and
cornering abilities of the tires are not adequate or whenever the
Department of Transportation or local authorities, in their
respective jurisdictions, place signs prohibiting their operation

unless equipped with tire traction devices.
This is why I'm asking.
Unread 11-18-2012, 08:39 PM   #5
Grt_Ape
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Always good to carry chains during winter to keep The Man happy. But, in my experience, they will typically close the road before calling an R3 condition.

---

Left JF and signed on to NorCal. Looks like they are saying the same thing about CHP closing the road before R3. Good to know others have had the same experience.

2006 LJ Rubicon

Last edited by Grt_Ape; 11-18-2012 at 10:21 PM.. Reason: updated info
Grt_Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2012, 10:11 AM   #6
cliffordmck72
1994 ZJ 

Late response nick but here's message I recieved from a buddy a bit south of us.

Yeah, they do help, I carry two sets of cables in the wrangler when we go to big bear. One trip there was a chp checkpoint on our way. Down the mountain and they only let me and 2 others dudes through because we had 4wd and 2 sets of chains in the truck.

....Apparently they sent other 4x4 vehicles back without TWO sets of chains in the vehicle, so i does happen for what it's worth.

Sent from my iPhone
cliffordmck72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2012, 03:02 PM   #7
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Good to know. Maybe I will grab some for tr honda and just carry them in the jeep. Haha!!

I will have to buy one tire's worth at a time. They're expensive for the bigger rubber.
Unread 12-16-2012, 03:50 PM   #8
cliffordmck72
1994 ZJ 

For sure, I got one pair on eBay $40 with shipping then got lucky and got a matching pair Craigslist $40. But I'm running in between 31-32". Typically $130 a pair though. And I have trouble with my regular bills these days.....
Unread 12-16-2012, 04:27 PM   #9
cliffordmck72
1994 ZJ 

Never mind I'll bet you can afford this setup.....

Unread 12-16-2012, 04:30 PM   #10
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I think I would buy some Mattracks before I got those.
Unread 12-16-2012, 04:58 PM   #11
cliffordmck72
1994 ZJ 

You ARE a 1%er. I'm jealous
Unread 12-16-2012, 05:08 PM   #12
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffordmck72 View Post
You ARE a 1%er. I'm jealous
I think you have me confused with someone else. I was born a poor black child.
Unread 12-20-2012, 01:29 PM   #13
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I carry chains in my camper and I have a set for the jeep as well. Have only used them a couple times but it's better to have them on hand than risking not being able to get home. In my experiences in Big Bear they do a lousy job clearing the road and there is a lot of compacted snow and ice so chains really do help, mostly with stopping.

I miss living in northern New England. They dump tons of salt on the roads and generally they are black and steaming. Of course your vehicle rots out in about three years.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2012, 10:49 AM   #14
cliffordmck72
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman
I think I would buy some Mattracks before I got those.
Make sure you break another money roll out for the screw in studs for the ice. Of course what does money mean to you!!
Unread 12-21-2012, 07:16 PM   #15
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffordmck72 View Post
Make sure you break another money roll out for the screw in studs for the ice. Of course what does money mean to you!!
I'm the treasurer of your club, I would hope it means something...

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.