Central Valley - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > Central Valley

Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-30-2009, 04:08 PM   #1
Blkdvll
2004 WJ 

Arrow Central Valley

Hows it going guys, I am new to this forum and new to Visalia. My name is Steven and I have a 04 WJ Laredo (stock for now). I've owned it for a hair over a year and love it to death. I just moved to Visalia from the Central Coast and VERY eager to do some wheeling, especially since I am now in the ranks of the unemployed (for now, long story). I don't have much trail experience with this vehicle under my built and really want to fix this. Are there any other members here from the surrounding areas? Where are some good places to wheel?

Blkdvll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2009, 10:19 PM   #2
Blkdvll
2004 WJ 

Anyone out there?
Unread 02-01-2009, 09:37 AM   #3
puttputt56
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Central Valley

I am just about 45 minutes south of you in Bakersfield California (Bakersfield Trailblazers 4x4 Club). There should be a lot of places to go just east of you in the mountains there. There should also be some 4x4 clubs in your area also. Check with your local Chamber of Commerce to see if they have a list of Car Clubs etc. Since you just arrived from the East Coast I hope you are prepared for the Summer Heat we have here in Central Valley of California. Have fun and I hope I helped you a little!! puttputt56
puttputt56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2009, 10:25 AM   #4
Blkdvll
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by puttputt56 View Post
I am just about 45 minutes south of you in Bakersfield California (Bakersfield Trailblazers 4x4 Club). There should be a lot of places to go just east of you in the mountains there. There should also be some 4x4 clubs in your area also. Check with your local Chamber of Commerce to see if they have a list of Car Clubs etc. Since you just arrived from the East Coast I hope you are prepared for the Summer Heat we have here in Central Valley of California. Have fun and I hope I helped you a little!! puttputt56
Central Coast = San Luis Obispo County.

I've explored a little to the east off of the 198 and all I can find are locked gates. I've also browsed the internet for 4x4 clubs around here and found a forum that has a couple on it but they really don't seem to be that active, and by the looks of the pictures, my stock WJ wouldn't stand a chance (even after I get my 2" BB and 245 AT's)
Unread 02-02-2009, 11:31 AM   #5
igofshn
Locked @ both ends

Lock and Low is a club in Visalia. They have some members that are very active and some that do nothing. Good club.

[Jeep Pics
igofshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2009, 11:24 AM   #6
puttputt56
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Central Valley

Sorry I missed that, I thought you had moved out from the East Coast my miss take. Did you find out any information regarding places to go etc. puttputt56
Unread 02-04-2009, 11:35 AM   #7
Blkdvll
2004 WJ 

Yah, slowly finding more. I subscribed to Trails.com which lead me to checking one out. On the way I stopped at a ranger station and picked up a map which lead me to checking out another one on the same trip. Nothing real special, first trail easily being a 1 and the second being a 2 which had a couple little trails wondering off of the 4ish nature BUT I wasn't able to really explore those being I was by myself.

All in all it was fun. Great views and it got me out of the house.

Just need to meet people around here that are into wheeling I hate moving to new places
Unread 02-04-2009, 06:50 PM   #8
puttputt56
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Central Valley

Glad to hear you have found a few places to go and try out! You will find some people in that area that enjoy doing just that and will make a few friends in the process. Moving is a bummer! puttputt56
Unread 02-05-2009, 09:47 PM   #9
ReconZJ

1997 ZJ 

Nice to see another Grand getting off-road! A stocker will do quite a bit, but you've got to watch your rockers and underside until you add on some protection. Hope you at least have tow hooks in front, and a receiver hitch on the rear (Warn makes a receiver shackle that will slide right in for a rear tow point) if you don't have the rear hook.

Charles A. Wells has some great trail guides; his "Guide to Northern California Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails" describes many areas around Visalia (and south to Bakersfield) with ratings from easy to difficult. The companion "Guide to Southern California Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails" includes some of the Death Valley trails as well as all those on south to the border.

This is a good place to hang out, and the members I've wheeled with from here are cool. There are also some sites more specific to Grands, so feel free to shoot me a pm if you want to chat about that.

Gary
ReconZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2009, 11:16 PM   #10
93gc40
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I'm in Visalia also... If you see me wave...

Not many real 4x4 trails in the area that are open right now. There are lots of trails up in the Nat Forest areas of Sequoia, but they are closed till spring. Most of these can be run in 2wd, but it a great area to see. when Open go to Park Ridge trail, out of Grant Grove and the Buck rock trail, in Big Meadows. Also Huckleberry trail. This time of the year the only thing available are the trails off of HWY180, before the park entrance, You could run from Hwy180 cross country to Pine Flat Lake. Bunch of trails north end of Pine Flat.

Closest real 4x4 trails are up around Shaver Lake, Dickey Creek area, Bald Mountain, Brewer Lake, Swap Lake, Dusy-Ershim trails. Bald Mountain trail is only one open in winter.
93 ZJ 4.0 / 2"BB / Wranglers / RIP-Gone but not forgotten.

If it aint dirty, it aint a JEEP, it's just a SUV.
93gc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2009, 10:40 AM   #11
Blkdvll
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93gc40 View Post
I'm in Visalia also... If you see me wave...

Not many real 4x4 trails in the area that are open right now. There are lots of trails up in the Nat Forest areas of Sequoia, but they are closed till spring. Most of these can be run in 2wd, but it a great area to see. when Open go to Park Ridge trail, out of Grant Grove and the Buck rock trail, in Big Meadows. Also Huckleberry trail. This time of the year the only thing available are the trails off of HWY180, before the park entrance, You could run from Hwy180 cross country to Pine Flat Lake. Bunch of trails north end of Pine Flat.

Closest real 4x4 trails are up around Shaver Lake, Dickey Creek area, Bald Mountain, Brewer Lake, Swap Lake, Dusy-Ershim trails. Bald Mountain trail is only one open in winter.
Same to you. Mine is pretty easy to spot, it's either EXCESSIVELY dirty, or EXCESSIVELY clean. I'm a detailer so it's either going to be covered in mud top to bottom front to back or brand new shinny

(****ty phone pic)

I came across a jeeper at the gas station and asked him if he knew of any close trails. He mentioned Dry Creek Rd. I've traveled it a few times now and can't find anything that doesn't have large locked gates?

If you want to wheel anytime just shoot me a message!
Unread 02-06-2009, 08:14 PM   #12
puttputt56
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Central Valley

I was looking through the CA4WDC list of clubs and found only two in your area that are members of CA4WDC:

Sierra Road Runners and Lock & Low 4WDC. Sorry it doesn't list a contact number for either of them. puttputt56
Unread 02-06-2009, 08:36 PM   #13
4point
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I'm up north of Fresno. The Kingsburg Snow Run is coming up soon check the CA4WDC web site.
4point is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2009, 09:49 PM   #14
93gc40
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Same to you. Mine is pretty easy to spot, it's either EXCESSIVELY dirty, or EXCESSIVELY clean. I'm a detailer so it's either going to be covered in mud top to bottom front to back or brand new shinny
Well that pic is the cleanest mine ever gets.. Washing the Jeep, to me, means hitting the windows with some windex.
93 ZJ 4.0 / 2"BB / Wranglers / RIP-Gone but not forgotten.

If it aint dirty, it aint a JEEP, it's just a SUV.
93gc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2009, 01:06 PM   #15
iochixdiggitoi
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Xj

I'm up in Fresno, and the only place I've gone lately was Bald Mt. It's up a little past shaver. It's usually not too bad, but it was a little more difficult in the snow. So if you're still looking, it's open! It's on Trails.com so you can probably find it easy enough.
iochixdiggitoi is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.