CAUSE...everyone has one. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > CAUSE...everyone has one.

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 01-17-2013, 08:23 PM   #1
mojavedave
1998 XJ Cherokee 

CAUSE...everyone has one.

What is your "cause"? For some folks it's their wives, family, children...

That has been mine for many years now. Honestly and truly, THAT IS my ultimate "cause". But , what of those without that? What of those who have either raised those kids enough to get back out into the wilderness, whether it's desert, trees and streams, history? What of those, of YOU, who have the ability to make a change? No, i am not talking about curing Cancer...(I wish I was)... And I am not talking about solving world issues. But, this...

This...

HISTORY!

How many of you have taken your friends-family-children on a day trip or even a multi-day/night trip somewhere that has "history"? Practically everywhere you may make such a trip!

It is because of you! The people who have a sense of HISTORICAL PRIDE...I ask just who is willing to help "cleanup" and "repair" a piece of history? A piece in this wonderful place we know as The Mojave Desert?!!!

Who?....I ask....who?

More to come. I am on a rant I suppose. But, either way, yet ANOTHER piece of history is falling by the wayside...

Is it personal to me? Absolutely!

Is it personal to you? Maybe, maybe not.

Either way, this (and MANY others) are subject to those of disrespect, carelessness and even worse-VANDALISM!

We CAN make a difference and I plan on beginning such a project soon, very soon. I, that is to say, WE, some very good friends of mine of caring and considerate ilk, have done so before. I will update this thread soon with more information as I can confer with my good friend, Steve, AKA, cooksterdog.

This particular place is known as the Edith E. Cabin located in Goler Gulch, Goler, Ca.

A considerable group from my HI N LO Desert Runners Club to another group from a Dodge Forum will be there this February 15-17 to have fun. Although this February trip is simply my annual get-awy, while there I am going to take inventory and put together a list of items needed to put this cabin back together.

This thread is to see just who knows and cares about this area.

Thanks for reading!

Dave, AKA, Mojavedave

https://www.facebook.com/hinlo.desertrunners

Last edited by mojavedave; 01-18-2013 at 10:25 AM.. Reason: typos
mojavedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2013, 10:50 AM   #2
mojavedave
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Scheduling

I will, over the next few weeks or so, try to come up with a rough idea just when I can allocate some materials for this project and have a better idea when I can put together a "planned" weekend to head back out there to the Edith E. in the months to follow my Feb. trip.

I am in hopes I can possible get a few others to join me in this effort.

I have been going to this area religiously since 1998. My friend Steve has been heading out to this same area since the 1950's! And with as much demolition, vandalism and just simply rude and careless acts that I have seen in the area since '98, I can only imagine what Steve has slowly witnessed over his El Paso Mountain Range Tenure. It saddens me. It saddens me not only because of the landmarks degrading and wasting away. But, more of this wasting away is unfortunately at the hands of no good doers. Weather and time will ALWAYS take their toll on these man made dwellings and items. For years, my group and several others devoted plenty of time to do just what I am planning. The "Joni Jack" cabin in Bonanza Gulch was one we took care of and made regular repairs for quite some time. It showed as well. It has been my experience (and I am sure others as well) that if something is left uncared for, that lack of care is reflected in the very item(s) left uncared for. And as a result in situations like the Edith E., if no care is shown, unfortunately, disrespect soon follows...often intentionally. My plan is to clean up this cabin and make a few repairs. It's in desperate need of some TLC. The roof has boards missing, the fire place has been ripped of it's once beautiful pebble, shell and stone facing, the windows broken and/or missing....it's a shame, truly a shame. I KNOW, I JUST KNOW, with a little respect it will reflect. If it reflects, others will be less likely to DISRESPECT it. I know this because we have done this before. Once she's back in decent shape, it must be ongoing though. I am proposing that a few of us dedicate something, ANYTHING, to this effort.

Here's what I am asking, this is what we need.

I ask that if anyone has scraps, say an old garage door or some leftover plexiglass, used items such as hinges or a doorknob, hardware, anything of this nature to please save it and let me know. I of course will need some help as far as coordinating not only the repairs, but getting these items and materials together. I am NOT asking anyone for $$ nor am I asking anyone spend any $$. I firmly believe with enough of us getting together, we can come up with what is needed. Other things needed...time. I also ask if anyone can, to please head out there once in awhile, maybe pick up a little trash, peak inside, etc. Just as a vacant home is the first ransacked and vandalised, so is this cabin. If it seems used, occasionally habitated and cared for, the disrepsect will at the very least ease up, slow down and one can only hope ~ STOP! There was a time for my first several years to this area that this cabin had an active claim. It was lived in quite often by the claim holder at that time. They did share it on a first come first serve basis, and it was officially listed in the BLM Adopt a Cabin Program.

Now when I ask you, any of you, for time, I am not asking someone to sit there with a shotgun and protect it like that. I ask that perhaps "Bob Whoever" may take a drive in March, pass by, grab some trash, make a note of any repairs needed or any vandalisim that's taken place and let the forum/thread know. Then maybe "John Doe" goes out the end of March or early April with a buddy for his buddy's first time, they stop by, have a sandwich, pick up some trash, maybe straighten out the fire ring and notice the broken window...take a measurement of the window opening and if he can't do anything at that point, kindly report his findings to this thread. I hope that makes sense. It's not any ONE of us that can make the difference. But, rather ALL of us as a whole that can make this change. I want to get as many involved in this as possible. As a blue collared worker, even in this nasty office, I work my arse off, pay my taxes, abide by the rules (for the most part lol) and still watch my freedoms slowly be taken away, our rights treaded upon not LIGHTLY...and now...and for far too long, I, as many of you, have watched our history slowly become just that, history. It can be averted. Or at the very least and perhaps more realistically, slowed. I have taken my sone out there since he was 5. Wouldn't it be cool if he could take his son to this same cabin? I can only hope and pray...AND, do something about it.

So, who wants to help out with this? Again, not one large task each, but many small tasks each and this WILL make the change.

Please let me know and thanks so much for reading.
Unread 01-18-2013, 03:21 PM   #3
VINCH

Every time I am out there I fill my truck full of trash etc. My wife walks and picks up even more garbage whiloe I am prospecting. Last time out we collected over 60# of small metalic trash.I noticed last month that the "shooting range" across the road form it was SPOTLESS. The cabin area is not as bad as you might think although I myself would never stay in it. last year when I was there a pretty seedy group was there living it up like no tomorrow. I was alone at the time otherwise I would have had words with them. I would like to see the old Holland camp structure have some TLC given to it. 1 of the 2 buildings at the old Goler air strip has burned down to the ground and the other has new NO TRESPASSING signs all around it now. I think it is just a matter of time before BLM razes them all
I dont know when the last time you were out there but many trails have been closed and LOTS of NEW closed signs and new trail signs. Use caution as to where you go and what you do as the hills now have eyes. Lots of Berkley types in S.U.V's spying on what is happening out there. the main goal of the Greenies is to shut down the E.P. mountains completely. I do suggest stopping at the station and get the new BLM maps. The friends of Jawbone maps are no longer accurate and you could find yourself in trouble.
BLM had a series of meetings last Oct and Nov on this matter (they have until March 19th I believe) to get the whole E.P. range signed up etc. As it turns out the Greenies are collecting data etc of trail abusers etc and using this info in the law suit they have against the BLM. Bottom line BLM's Back has been put up against a wall and they have to act. A lot of the problems arise from the city folk (no offense intended) come out to our sandbox and think they can do whatever they want blow up what ever they want and leave all the garbage they desire out here just cause its the desert. What a crappy train of thought but that is what we are up against. Last I heard BLM was supposed to be getting more enforcement deputies, and Kern county sheriffs dept has been making a bigger presence out there. IE more helo and small plane traffic in the skies.
I am all for doing my part to keep these MTNS open I hope more will be jumping on this band wagon

Have you ever taken the trip up to Cerro Gordo Mines it is well worth the trip to go up via Keeler and come out via Saline Valley road in D.V. bounderies. The keepers of C.G. will give you a tour of all the old buildings and all the relics inside of them just bring an extra case or 2 per vehicle for the "tour fee"
Pin striping by Bob Spina

Last edited by VINCH; 01-18-2013 at 03:35 PM..
VINCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2013, 03:37 PM   #4
mojavedave
1998 XJ Cherokee 

With ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by VINCH View Post
Every time I am out there I fill my truck full of trash etc. My wife walks and picks up even more garbage whiloe I am prospecting. Last time out we collected over 60# of small metalic trash.I noticed last month that the "shooting range" across the road form it was SPOTLESS. The cabin area is not as bad as you might think although I myself would never stay in it. last year when I was there a pretty seedy group was there living it up like no tomorrow. I was alone at the time otherwise I would have had words with them. I would like to see the old Holland camp structure have some TLC given to it. 1 of the 2 buildings at the old Goler air strip has burned down to the ground and the other has new NO TRESPASSING signs all around it now. I think it is just a matter of time before BLM razes them all
I dont know when the last time you were out there but many trails have been closed and LOTS of NEW closed signs and new trail signs. Use caution as to where you go and what you do as the hills now have eyes. Lots of Berkley types in S.U.V's spying on what is happening out there. the main goal of the Greenies is to shut down the E.P. mountains completely. I do suggest stopping at the station and get the new BLM maps. The friends of Jawbone maps are no longer accurate and you could find yourself in trouble.
BLM had a series of meetings last Oct and Nov on this matter (they have until March 19th I believe) to get the whole E.P. range signed up etc. As it turns out the Greenies are collecting data etc of trail abusers etc and using this info in the law suit they have against the BLM. Bottom line BLM's Back has been put up against a wall and they have to act. A lot of the problems arise from the city folk (no offense intended) come out to our sandbox and think they can do whatever they want blow up what ever they want and leave all the garbage they desire out here just cause its the desert. What a crappy train of thought but that is what we are up against. Last I heard BLM was supposed to be getting more enforcement deputies, and Kern county sheriffs dept has been making a bigger presence out there. IE more helo and small plane traffic in the skies.
I am all for doing my part to keep these MTNS open I hope more will be jumping on this band wagon

Have you ever taken the trip up to Cerro Gordo Mines it is well worth the trip to go up via Keeler and come out via Saline Valley road in D.V. bounderies. The keepers of C.G. will give you a tour of all the old buildings and all the relics inside of them just bring an extra case or 2 per vehicle for the "tour fee"
Yeah, I have read and heard much of your first paragraph here. I Still believe something can be done at our level. Again, a little here and there, etc. I was last out there Feb 2012 for my last annual trip. Yes, it's been a bit. I noticed the trail signs changed/rearranged/and new ones as well. I had a to and from trip to Bishop and wanted to stop at the station on the way back, snow and ice in Bishop slowed my round trip by 2 and 1/2 hours so I missed the chance. They, i.e. as you put it, "The Greenies" have been pushing in said direction for several years, but particularly harder these last 2.

As for Cerro Gordo, I am dying to get out that way. Have to make time, but not sure when.
Unread 01-18-2013, 03:41 PM   #5
bananaslug
1996 ZJ 

I dont think ill have enough time, but I wish you the best. Ill keep an eye on this. Good luck!
bananaslug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2013, 03:42 PM   #6
mojavedave
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Averted or Avoided

What troubles me the most with the current situation is 1) more respect from visitors and 2) a more constant effort from BLM in terms of the rangers occasional visit that I used to encounter often, to sign maintenance, etc. more consistently and higher frequency could have helped avert or avoid much of what has happened. Everyone would be happy. With state budget cuts 7 ways from Sunday, combined with the lack of respect along with no enforcement = current devastation

There was a time just a few years ago, myself and several friends were going to stake a claim as at that point you still could. So simple too. I am unsure of that status currently. I am still interested tho. The requirements, at least at that time, were quite simple. And, once a claim approved, you either dug or paid a $100.00 annual maintenance fee. When I looked into it, it would have cost a mere $135 the first year! But, again, that was before much of the cuts that have since taken place.

As far as my plan to make a physical effort towards repairing the Edith E., I understand times have changed, more accurately due to the last couple of posts. But, I don't feel it's a losing battle just yet.

Last edited by mojavedave; 01-18-2013 at 03:47 PM.. Reason: add info
Unread 01-18-2013, 03:57 PM   #7
mojavedave
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Times have changed

Just wanted to share a quick read from Desert USA that briefly interviewed my club "back in the day"...so much has changed since then.

http://www.desertusa.com/mag03/aug/b_trail.html

Last edited by mojavedave; 01-18-2013 at 03:57 PM.. Reason: typo
Unread 01-18-2013, 04:08 PM   #8
Hotshot
Limit straps are cool!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

When I read about this cabin being vandalized in one of your other posts my first thought was we should all try and fix it back up. I was thinking we could find most materials for cheap on craigslist. You can count me in to help anyway I can.
Hotshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2013, 04:40 PM   #9
VINCH

I have read that article even used it for trail reference in the past
Good read informative

At least we dont have to pay to play as needed between Randsburg and Cal city

I go to the area of topic about 4-6 times a year for 3-7 days at a time also make about 3-5 day trips a year it :is a favorite during winter and fall
Spring and summer i go to Monanche Meadows near Kennedy Meadows its where my ashes go when i am gone we have a spot my wife calls our meadow sorry i wont share exactly where on a public forum lol
Pin striping by Bob Spina
VINCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2013, 05:01 PM   #10
mojavedave
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotshot View Post
When I read about this cabin being vandalized in one of your other posts my first thought was we should all try and fix it back up. I was thinking we could find most materials for cheap on craigslist. You can count me in to help anyway I can.
I will. This is serious to me. Ther's a meeting Feb 22 that I may atttend in the Ridgecrest Field office regarding possible El Paso closures.
Unread 01-18-2013, 05:02 PM   #11
mojavedave
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Forgive my typos as I am currently on my iphone lol
Unread 01-18-2013, 10:30 PM   #12
mojavedave
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I have read some interesting news today regarding BLM and a particular group making noise against the BLM. Its a sad situation to say the least. I may just (if at all possible) take Feb. 22, 2013 off from work to attend a meeting at the Ridgecrest Field Office BLM regarding the possible future closures of as much as 80-85% of the now open trails and roads of the El Paso Mountain Range.

Angrily, mojavedave
Unread 01-19-2013, 11:59 AM   #13
mojavedave
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Here is a link to a quick read(I think I posted this link already, lol). I am in fact contacting BLM Ridgecrest Monday. I have already emailed this group as well...

Ron Schiller, Chairman
High Desert Multiple Use Coalition, Inc.
P.O. Box 1167
Ridgecrest, CA 93555
Phone: 760-377-5053

...they have loads of information, little of which I have at the moment. I know what you're getting at and I agree, I need more infor before heading forward. But, not because of their guidelines...I know their guidelines, I have done this before in the Bonanza Gulch. The guidelines are simple. It's the BLM's "intent" that I need to address. I would love to repair this cabin and know with the others I already have involved it can be done easily. But, I don't want to do so just to have it razed by the BLM. They have made many and serious changes to the area from changing/adding new and different numbered route signs for the trails completely causing current trail maps to be innaccurate, covered mineshafts (safety, I understand that), to blocking a few trails. The trails blocked so far, are trails for "foot" use only already and it makes sense to keep trucks and bikes off of those paths. It's the future intent and plans for the area that I need to learn. Down in Goler, in 1998 there were 13 buildings in decent shape, mostly habitable. Over the course of perhaps the nexg 4 years or so another group, I don't remember who or what they called themselves, did a wonderful job restoring those buildings. Then, there was what some alledged "witnesses" claim was an accident by bikers burned one building to the ground. That group treaded forward and made the remaining buildings rather nice. I have stayed in several of them many times. Over the last few years tho, it seems about 1 building per year, mysteriously burns to the ground. There were two "true" cabins left as of last February 2012 when my group headed out, although one had the front porch roof failing miserably. It was quite obvious that the "failing" was intentional as this structure was rather sturdy and the rest of the buildings would have blown away before this "roof" would have ever failed. It looked as though the pillars/posts were chained to a truck and pulled down, collapsinig the roof. It was a sad image. I just recently found out that that building has since, too, burned to the ground an is no more. I hope I can sve the Edith E. Cabin up Goler Gulch from this fate. Time will tell.

Anyway, if I learn the adopt a cabini program is to remain in effect as is currently the case, I will proceed. The first dwelling to be vandalised is a vacant dwelling. Same goes here. With some care shown, the disrespect fades, at least that has been my experience in the past with others I have done the same with. I have around a dozen folks not only ready to help with materials and time and effort, but, to make annual trips to the cabin/area (that's a dozen different visits at different times of the year)at various times. If we can get the cabin back together and these folks along with myself visit/frequent it, it WILL change for the better. How much and for how long remains unanswered. But, I can't sit and watch it just fade away at the hands of deliberate bad doers. Time, weather, age, I can accept that to a degree. This vandalism is insane and terribly upsetting to think how some people think.

I am on several forums with this information and will update each of my threads regarding this as I learn more. Thanks for reading!
Unread 01-19-2013, 12:30 PM   #14
mojavedave
1998 XJ Cherokee 

More good and interesting reading

http://www.scahome.org/publications/...gs.24Horne.pdf
Unread 01-19-2013, 05:30 PM   #15
Hotshot
Limit straps are cool!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Is this the cabin? There's a big nest in the attic. Needs two doors, some windows, roofs in bad shape. Someone put some plastic over the hole. Had a nice little drive out there today.
image-3830884251.jpg   image-164062790.jpg   image-4022865198.jpg   image-2523466542.jpg   image-1602618979.jpg  

image-2657763439.jpg   image-3548951756.jpg   image-462810761.jpg   image-4217917378.jpg   image-2750979334.jpg  

image-2750091325.jpg  
Hotshot is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.