JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   California Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f317/)
-   -   Can a stock Jeep run Gold Mountain Trail (Big Bear)? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f317/can-stock-jeep-run-gold-mountain-trail-big-bear-1193237/)

982500h 04-07-2011 02:52 PM

Can a stock Jeep run Gold Mountain Trail (Big Bear)?

I'd like to take some friends on Gold Mountain trail (Big Bear) that have a variety of Jeeps in stock or near stock form. I've run the trail in my "improved" Jeep, and I saw others there that day struggling with stock, long wheelbase pick-ups. Anyone have experience taking a Jeep w/o traction aided differentials (TAD-e.g. LSD, locker) and 31" or smaller tires on this trail?

I've gotten a post on another forum that a stock Jeep with 31" tires can do it, and another post that it would be possible but very difficult. I'm looking for feedback and experience. Thanks.

XJohnnyC 04-07-2011 10:46 PM

It's possible to do open/open with 31 inch tires. Just have to pick the right lines.

Torxhead 04-08-2011 01:38 PM

Going in on the 3N16 entrance or North side would be the easiest way to do it.

XJohnnyC 04-08-2011 10:57 PM

People generally run Gold Mountain south to north. Best to stay with the flow of traffic to avoid logjams. Just like Deep Creek is run west to east and John Bull is run east to west.

IEcrawlerTJ01 04-16-2011 05:52 PM

I have ran every trail in big bear in a stock xj on 31's except John bull. But I know I coul do that as well

Sent from my iPod touch using JeepForum

97-TJ-Sahara 10-29-2013 02:17 AM

I have a stock TJ rolling on 31's, running open/open: It is possible to make it through. I did it this past Saturday. I can tell you that it was a lot easier for the Jeeps in our group that had lockers, but with the right line and a good spotter, it is certainly doable. Good Luck on it. Challenging, and fun.

WOKNROX 10-30-2013 08:08 AM

Hey Bill...nice to see you on here....
Short answer is yes....you'll have to give some spotting in a few places but all in all your go to go..
Hope to get out on the trail with you again soon ...bud
SteveO

WOKNROX 10-30-2013 08:12 AM

Short answer is yes....you'll have to give some spotting in a few places but all in all your go to go..
SteveO

WoW...I just saw that this thread was over 2 yrz old....lol,

jbolty 10-30-2013 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WOKNROX (Post 17283514)
SteveO

WoW...I just saw that this thread was over 2 yrz old....lol,

He must have made it. I didn't see him stranded out there a few months ago.

WOKNROX 10-30-2013 12:59 PM

He he...yeah!
We were wheelin out at the Hammers a few weeks ago and he didn't mention anything... lol

zombiehunta666 12-05-2013 10:16 PM

I wouldn't start from the hardball. I'd go up and around near the Jon bull trail head from the forest road. That way you'd be going down for each if the major obstacles. I'd take the by pass for the rock garden though if he's stock. I imagine 33s with 2" lift would be preferred.

danielbuck 12-16-2013 05:24 PM

just don't leave all the rocks stacked up please! :D

Luuca 12-19-2013 02:55 PM

My daughter (18) ran Gold Mountain on stock suspension and 30" tires (metric equiv). She made it through but crushed her rocker panel, tore her rear exhaust hangar, and front and rear shackles got skinned up. We only stacked rocks once. Her lines were completely different than the modified vehicles (obviously) but she made it. Rock sliders were her next mod. :)

Ken Cooke 12-21-2013 05:40 PM

My Ford Ranger made it up Gold Mountain on every run I took it up. Here it is at Dishpan Springs. :hahaha: Notice the TTB suspension flex.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.n...43222383_n.jpg

The time now is 10:28 PM.