California Emissions/Vehicle reg rules. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > California Emissions/Vehicle reg rules.

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 11-09-2009, 05:18 AM   #1
Bigskyxj
1989 XJ Cherokee 

California Emissions/Vehicle reg rules.

I will be moving to Fort Irwin California in Feb from Germany, I have no idea how strict emissions laws are in California so I figure I better find out now so I can register the heep when I get there.

Here is a little info on my Jeep and why I think I am going to have issues:

My Jeep is an 88 XJ (Renix), however I am in the process of replacing my motor with a HO motor (non Renix) from a 94 xj. There aren't provsions for the egr on the new block, which seems there might be a problem with a smog inpection station.

I don't have alot of time to fart around with this thing before I ship it so I am basically just trying to get it running before I put it on the boat.

Basically I need to know what the emission requirements are and if I should bother messing around with trying to bring my Jeep to California or get it running and sell it to someone in Germany and then start with a newer XJ when I get there.

Any guidance you can give will be appreciated.

~Eric

P ot Hole
If you are currently serving or have served check out
www.militaryjeepers.com
Bigskyxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2009, 09:07 AM   #2
puttputt56
2006 TJ Wrangler 

California emissions

First off thanks for serving and second welcome back to the states!! The California Emissions Laws are the most re-strictive there is. On yours it will depend on what it is going to be used for (daily driver, off-road use only). On the daily driver if you change the motor to a newer one it will have to meet that years emission standards which could be a problem. Now if you are only going to use it for off road use (trailered to the site) then it won't be much of a problem. But if you are planning to drive it to the site then it will have to be smogged. Hope this helped you a little. Go online to the California DMV and check the smog requirements for your vehicle. puttputt56
puttputt56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2009, 09:33 AM   #3
SDDAVE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

THANK YOU ! times two.

Now for your vehicle. Being active duty military you can have your vehicle registered in your home state, and you can keep your drivers license from your home state, that way you don't have to deal with California.

Is your Jeep a US spec. vehicle? Or is it a European spec. vehicle? If its European spec. then Im not sure. It may fall under the "Grey Market" catagory, and thats a Federal issue.

To get a "Grey Market" car in the US I believe you have to put a bond down with the Feds. to ensure you will bring the car up to US spec. You do get the bond back after the car passes. Skip to: Content | Footer | Web Accessibility | Disability Services Search:

Home
Welcome to the DMV WebsiteDMV Home PageContact DMVWhat's NewFeatured LinksPress RoomIndustryTeensSeniorsEspańolOffices
Find Your Local OfficeDriver Safety OfficesInvestigations OfficesInspector Offices Service Centers More DMV OfficesOnline Services
Registration RenewalDriver License RenewalAppointmentsChange of AddressPersonalized PlatesMore Online ServicesForms
Driver License FormsRegistration FormsVehicle IndustryCommonly UsedMore FormsDriver License
New DriverRenewLost or StolenChanges and CorrectionsDriver HandbooksMore Driver License InformationVehicle Registration
RenewalBuying and SellingPlatesPlacards and DecalsBoatsFeesRegistration FormsMore Registration InformationPublications
Driver HandbookCommercial HandbooksMotorcycle HandbookMore DMV PublicationsDMV Info
ResearchCustomer SurveyNew LawsDMV ProgramsYour DMV RecordsOther ServicesContact DMV Save time, Go online!
Appointments
Registration Renewal
Vehicle Registration Fee Calculator
Online Driver License Renewal
Personalized Plates
Online Change of Address
Notice of Transfer and Release of Liability
Enlarge Text
Click to increase the text size. Restore Text
Click to restore original text size. Reduce Text
Click to decrease the text size. Home Page >> Publications >> Vehicle Registration Brochures >> Vehicle Information for Military Personnel in California Vehicle Information for Military Personnel in California
•Nonresident Military Personnel Operating a Vehicle in California
•Resident Military Personnel Operating a Vehicle in California
•Discharged Military Personnel
•Commercial Vehicles Owned by Military Personnel
•Insurance
•Registration
•Smog
•Nonresident Military Personnel
•Use Tax

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nonresident Military Personnel Operating a Vehicle in California
Nonresident military personnel, and both military or civilian members of NATO who are not citizens of the United States are permitted to operate a vehicle in this state with valid license plates from either:

•the individual's home state or country or
•the state or country where the individual was regularly assigned and stationed when the license plates were issued, if the following requirements are met:
1.The license plates displayed on the vehicle are valid plates issued by a foreign jurisdiction.
2.The vehicle registration and license plates are issued to the military person or spouse of the military person.
3.The vehicle registration and license plates are issued by the foreign jurisdiction where the military person was last regularly assigned and stationed for duty by military orders or a jurisdiction claimed by the nonresident military person as the permanent state of residence.
4.If the vehicle is a motor vehicle, the owner or driver has insurance.
NOTE: Military orders do not include military orders for leave, for temporary duty, or for any other assignment of any nature requiring the military person's presence outside the foreign jurisdiction where the owner was regularly assigned and stationed for duty.

This section applies to all vehicles owned by the military person or spouse except any commercial vehicle used in any business manner wherein the military person or spouse receives compensation.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Resident Military Personnel Operating a Vehicle in California
Military personnel who are also residents of California but deployed to a location outside the state may qualify for a renewal penalty waiver.

To qualify for the renewal penalty waiver, the registered owner must be ordered to temporary military duty during a period when a Presidential Executive order specifies the United States is engaged in combat or homeland defense and the registered owner is a member of one of the following:

•Armed forces,
•Armed forces reserve, or
•National Guard.
Deployment does not include:

•Temporary duty for the sole purpose of training or processing.
•A permanent change of station.
Only penalties incurred during deployment may be waived.

The application for registration renewal must be submitted with the appropriate fees within 60 days after termination of deployment to qualify for the penalty waiver.

Complete a Miscellaneous Statements of Fact (REG 256) stating:

•That you are a member of the armed forces, armed forces reserve, or the National Guard.
•The termination date of deployment.
Make an Appointment(s) and take the renewal and REG 256 to your local DMV.
Vehicle Code §9560

Discharged Military Personnel
Any person entering California following discharge from the armed forces of the United States is exempted from registration of passenger vehicles and trailer coaches provided the vehicles have out-of-state plates and registration.

Registration becomes due when you accept gainful employment in California or become a California resident and must be paid within 20 days following that date to avoid penalties.

Commercial Vehicles Owned by Military Personnel
If you are on active duty you may operate a commercial vehicle owned by you without obtaining California registration provided the vehicle has valid registration in your home state or the state of military assignment at the time of registration, and is not used in a trade or business.

NOTE: Any commercial vehicle owned by military personnel used in any business manner that provides that person with compensation is subject to California registration.

Registration
Military personnel, stationed in California are exempt from payment of the vehicle license fee (VLF) on any vehicle owned or leased and registered in California provided:

•The nonresident military owner is shown as a lessee or registered owner of the vehicle.
•The vehicle is not operated "for hire."
In order to obtain the VLF exemption, military personnel must complete a Nonresident Military Exemption Statement (REG 5045) form and NATO members are required to complete a North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) Status of Forces Agreement (REG 5046) form.

NOTE: The duty station must be located in California in order to receive a VLF exemption.

See Nonresident Military Personnel Operating a Vehicle in California above for more information on nonresident military owned vehicles.

Smog
Is there a nonresident military exemption from the smog inspection?

No, if the vehicle is to be registered in California, a smog inspection certification is required.

For more information on vehicle smog requirements in California click here.

Nonresident Military Personnel
Any nonresident owner of a vehicle registered in a foreign state and a member of the U.S. armed forces or spouse of a member of the U.S. armed forces on active duty within this state. Any person on continuous active duty in the Air Force, Army, Navy, Marines or Coast Guard is considered military personnel. This does not include civilian personnel employed by a branch of the armed forces.

Use Tax
A sales (use) tax based on the new registered owner's county of residence will be required when registering a vehicle purchased overseas with the intention of using it in California.
Back to Top | Help | Disability Services | Contact DMV | Accessibility Compliance | Site Map | Technical Support Conditions of Use | Privacy Policy
Copyright © 2009 State of California
Acrobat Reader enables you to view and print PDF files.
To incorporate the latest accessibility features download of the latest version of Acrobat Reader may be required.
SDDAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2009, 01:15 PM   #4
igofshn
Locked @ both ends

Keep it simple.

what is your home of residence??? Register it there.

[Jeep Pics
igofshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2009, 09:32 PM   #5
Bigskyxj
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the help, I am From Montana soo I guess it will be too easy.

By the way, I hope to see you all on the trails when I get there and just for your info the Heep is US spec
P ot Hole
www.militaryjeepers.com
Unread 11-09-2009, 10:18 PM   #6
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDDAVE View Post
Now for your vehicle. Being active duty military you can have your vehicle registered in your home state, and you can keep your drivers license from your home state, that way you don't have to deal with California.
Quote:
Originally Posted by igofshn View Post
Keep it simple.

what is your home of residence??? Register it there.
These are both excellent suggestions, but I've heard recently that many military bases in CA are requiring your out of state registered vehicle pass CA smog. I'd check with base security or whoever issues vehicle passes for that base because it may not be an issue there.

The new engine needs to have all of it's factory emissions equipment. I don't know if the 94 4.0 HO had an EGR, so can't really say for that. Check with the BAR for more info. They have more to say about swaps than the DMV.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2009, 10:48 PM   #7
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
These are both excellent suggestions, but I've heard recently that many military bases in CA are requiring your out of state registered vehicle pass CA smog. I'd check with base security or whoever issues vehicle passes for that base because it may not be an issue there.

The new engine needs to have all of it's factory emissions equipment. I don't know if the 94 4.0 HO had an EGR, so can't really say for that. Check with the BAR for more info. They have more to say about swaps than the DMV.
1991-up 242ci had the EGR system deleted (which isn't a bad thing - I wish I could delete it on my RENIX. Engine runs better and cleaner without it, actually...)

Registering with Home of Record would simplify things, but you'll still have to get insurance in CA (and pay CA rates!) and, as mentioned, you may have to smog as well. However, you may have to smog according to 49-state standard, rather the CA standards, which are looser. Check with base MPs and CARB/CA DMV (the latter two are online) for more information.

The general rule on swaps is that the engine has to be comparable to what was originallly available (since the 242ci was an option from 1987-2001, that won't be a problem,) and has to be the same model year or newer. So, your HO transplant shouldn't be a problem under CA regs - but you should check with a "Smog Referee" when you get here (you'll need to get a signoff from them if you're going to register in CA anyhow, since you've swapped the engine.) However, the swap itself should not be a great problem - if you were going to, say, a Chevvy V8 or something like that, it would be a bigger problem. You'd probably have to register it as a "kit car" or a "custom build," if you could at all (I'm not sure - but I've seen some oddies get registered out here. How about a 1974 Datsun pickup with a 1988 Corvette powertrain? Street legal, so I know it can be done! Saw that one back in 1991.)
Unread 11-09-2009, 11:10 PM   #8
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-90 View Post
How about a 1974 Datsun pickup with a 1988 Corvette powertrain? Street legal, so I know it can be done! Saw that one back in 1991.)
It's also smog exempt. I don't think he'll have any issues myself.
Unread 11-10-2009, 06:40 AM   #9
Bigskyxj
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Once again, thanks for all of the info. I will get ahold of vehicle reg out at Fort Irwin as soon as I get there. And by the way, we should get together sometime in March and do some wheeling. I have heard that there is some good spots to wheel ou near Calico. Hope to see you all soon.
P ot Hole
www.militaryjeepers.com
Unread 11-10-2009, 03:04 PM   #10
RockWoRM
Don't Fear the Jeeper

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigskyxj View Post
Thanks for the help, I am From Montana soo I guess it will be too easy.

By the way, I hope to see you all on the trails when I get there and just for your info the Heep is US spec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigskyxj View Post
Once again, thanks for all of the info. I will get ahold of vehicle reg out at Fort Irwin as soon as I get there. And by the way, we should get together sometime in March and do some wheeling. I have heard that there is some good spots to wheel ou near Calico. Hope to see you all soon.
Yes, Calico has some trials, although I've never run any of them. JV is also not that far away from Irwin (as far as we here in Cali. look at it... we drive everywhere. ) so I'd guess that'd be your best bet to hook up with some fellow JF'ers.

btw... thanks for your service and hope ya don't have to much culture shock going from Montana, to Germany, to the middle of the Mojave desert.

WRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2009, 01:48 AM   #11
Bigskyxj
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I was stationed in Fort Irwin from 2004-2007. I am just comeing back. Culture shock shouldn't be a problem. I am just happy to be coming back to the greatest country in the world.
P ot Hole
www.militaryjeepers.com
Unread 11-13-2009, 02:33 AM   #12
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
It's also smog exempt. I don't think he'll have any issues myself.
It wasn't then - the 30-year rolling exemption hadn't caught up yet (and that's a non-issue anyhow - they fixed it at 1974 in 2004 - so it's not a 30-year rolling anymore. Damn.)
Unread 11-13-2009, 02:54 AM   #13
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-90 View Post
It wasn't then - the 30-year rolling exemption hadn't caught up yet (and that's a non-issue anyhow - they fixed it at 1974 in 2004 - so it's not a 30-year rolling anymore. Damn.)
Yep, that sucks. When I first moved to CA in '96 I had a '70 Duster the DMV wouldn't let me register until I put CA smog equipment on it. I asked them what equipment exactly I needed they didn't even have a clue. Of course this was at a DMV in San Jose and when I got my license they told me to get a study guide off the table...... an entire 8 ft. long table with literally hundreds of DMV study guides and not a single one in English.

I ended up donating that Duster to Father Joe's Childrens Charity.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.