Calico Run on January 14, 2012 - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > Calico Run on January 14, 2012

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 01-04-2012, 10:43 AM   #46
MPond
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotshot View Post
Calico has a lot of easy trails, mining roads. The only one I'd be worried about taking a young kid on is Doran and thats only because i haven't been on it yet myself. No bypass on Odessa but there's only what 4 obstacles? Momma and the kids could wait for you on the other side of each Obstacle if you weren't comfortable with them in the jeep. Last week at Cougar Buttes there was a couple with maybe a 6 month old baby. At each Obstacle dad got out and held the baby, and spotted for mom. They were being very cautious, and moving real slow.

It's a tuff call to take young kids on the trail. I've been waiting for my Nephew to get a little older. I took him up and down the hill in front of my house a few times and I took him on a fire road/trail in West Cajon Valley when it was raining. He was only 3 at the time and he had a blast. Everytime I hit a bump or splashed through a mud puddle he'd yell again, again. I was a little stressed with him in the jeep though. He's 5 now and his sister is 3 and I think they're ready for some easy trails, and camping. Thats why I'm looking at the new 4 door Rubicon for a second Jeep.
I know what you mean. In Moab, we did some of the "easier" trails with the kids - Fins 'N Things, Hells Revenge, Kane Creek, etc...

I'm trying to decide whether or not to bring them (the wife & kids). Maybe I'll bring a buddy instead. I will talk to the wife about it tonight.

Unread 01-04-2012, 10:51 AM   #47
Hotshot
Limit straps are cool!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Although I suspect that I'll just be slamming on the gas tank skid all day instead of hitting the bumper, the new bumper is much much lower profile. My gas tank skid needs to be lifted up, or replaced or something.
Yeah I'm sick of smacking my tank also, let me know what you figure out. I think they make smaller tanks but I don't realy like the idea of having less fuel on a trail. Didn't really care for the idea of putting a tank on the back either.

Tday weekend at Calico I seen a Jeep with full airride suspension, he just had bags, no springs. He also had camera's all around and under the jeep with a monitor on the dash. It was pretty slick but that would be costly. Maybe if we could boost the back by flipping a switch and filling air bags, and then dump right after the obstacle???? Or just stiffer rear springs maybe?
Hotshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2012, 11:33 AM   #48
danielbuck
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I have a 1.25" body lift, so I guess in theory the factory tank skid could be cut and moved up by that much, I'm not sure if I want to spend alot of time/effort/money on the factory skid though, so I guess I'll just use it until it's really ready to be replaced, then get a skid that can more easilly compensate for the body lift, and be stronger as well. I haven't looked into either solution yet though.
Unread 01-04-2012, 11:44 AM   #49
Hotshot
Limit straps are cool!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

No body lift on my jeep yet but that 1.25" your talking about might make enough difference right there.
Unread 01-04-2012, 01:14 PM   #50
Hotshot
Limit straps are cool!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Ok back on topic, Who's going to Calico, who's camping inside the Ghost town campground? I'm just thinking whoever is camping in the camp ground may want to get together and reserve some spots next to each other?
Unread 01-04-2012, 03:19 PM   #51
qewbawl
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Ok, I just got off the phone with the reservation people over at Calico and here is what were looking at.

Campsite fee:

Fee for the campsites are $25 a night. This allows up to six people, one vehicle, and one tent per campsite. There are additional fees for additional tents and vehicles.

Additional vehicle:

For each additional vehicle we want to park on one campsite there is a $25 fee - This fee covers you for the entire weekend. We are allowed as many vehicles on one campsite as we can safely fit.

Additional tents:

For each additional tent on a campsite there is a $5 fee. Again, we can fit as many tents on one campsite as can fit safely.

Fees for the campsite are due up front!

We need to make our reservations ASAP. The lady I spoke with told me the spots are going fast!

Here is the attendee list so far:

Trevino
clg82
qewbawl
Sancho151
SkylarM
Black0Rifle
Horaciosan
danielbuck
Hotshot (very likely)
bhicks

WE NEED TO KNOW WHO WILL BE CAMPING AND WHICH NIGHT THEY WILL BE CAMPING!
qewbawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2012, 03:23 PM   #52
danielbuck
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I'm not a maybe, I'm going for sure. Saturday anyway.
Unread 01-04-2012, 03:26 PM   #53
qewbawl
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbuck
I'm not a maybe, I'm going for sure. Saturday anyway.
Sweet! However we need to know who WILL be camping and what days
Unread 01-04-2012, 03:29 PM   #54
danielbuck
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Ah, well you can probably count me out for camping. I'm just going to get their in the morning Saturday, and when we are done wheeling I'll head back home.
Unread 01-04-2012, 03:37 PM   #55
qewbawl
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbuck
Ah, well you can probably count me out for camping. I'm just going to get their in the morning Saturday, and when we are done wheeling I'll head back home.
OK, cool!

Anyone else?
Unread 01-04-2012, 04:36 PM   #56
SkylarM
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Ill camp Saturday night. 1 vehicle 1 Tent. If everyone is staying through Monday, then ill camp Sunday night too...
SkylarM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2012, 04:53 PM   #57
Hotshot
Limit straps are cool!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

If we can get in the circle area at the end of the road we could park the extra vehicles on the hill above us (in sight, maybe 50' away) and not pay any extra fees for them. I know qewbawl checked the F spots, so did I and it showed they were taken for the 14th when you click on to them. That may be a mistake though? When you imput the dates in to the system it showed them as avail. The lady you talked to should be able to tell you if they've been reserved or not. They've been known to have problems with there website.
Unread 01-04-2012, 05:14 PM   #58
clg82
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotshot View Post
If we can get in the circle area at the end of the road we could park the extra vehicles on the hill above us (in sight, maybe 50' away) and not pay any extra fees for them. I know qewbawl checked the F spots, so did I and it showed they were taken for the 14th when you click on to them. That may be a mistake though? When you imput the dates in to the system it showed them as avail. The lady you talked to should be able to tell you if they've been reserved or not. They've been known to have problems with there website.
I am in (if no work on saturday) and will be splitting the majority of the fees with hotshot for their campsite and jeep parking.
Unread 01-04-2012, 05:58 PM   #59
Hotshot
Limit straps are cool!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
I am in (if no work on saturday) and will be splitting the majority of the fees with hotshot for their campsite and jeep parking.
Unread 01-04-2012, 06:28 PM   #60
Black0Rifle
1993 YJ Wrangler 

i'll be camping friday if anyone else will be there and probably saturday too
Black0Rifle is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.