Calico Run on January 14, 2012 - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > Calico Run on January 14, 2012

Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Savvy FREE SHIPPING!

Unread 01-03-2012, 03:49 PM   #31
Black0Rifle
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbuck View Post
Count me in on Saturday for sure. I'll just meet yall where ever the meeting spot is on Saturday morning.

I might be able to camp out and run Sunday as well, but for sure on Saturday.

What's the general plan? I've never been to Calico before. Finally get to try out the new springs and shocks! I haven't wheeled in almost a month just been busy, but my jeep is ready to go, I'm not working weekends for a while and I got the itch to hit some rocks
first spot we'll take you too is called the gatekeeper. we'll let you have the pleasure of going first

Black0Rifle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2012, 03:51 PM   #32
Black0Rifle
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylarM View Post
Any body else want to pitch out in the canyon?
i'm not sure what youre getting at, but i have a clue =
Black0Rifle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2012, 03:56 PM   #33
danielbuck
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black0Rifle View Post
first spot we'll take you too is called the gatekeeper. we'll let you have the pleasure of going first
LOL I probably wouldn't even make it through that even if you could drag me! I think that's the only area in Calico that I've heard about, the gate keeper.
Unread 01-03-2012, 04:02 PM   #34
SkylarM
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black0Rifle

Ha! If were going to camp, the point is to get away from the facilities!
SkylarM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2012, 04:08 PM   #35
clg82
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

can't wait to get back there
img_0863.jpg   img_0874.jpg  
clg82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2012, 04:08 PM   #36
Hotshot
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black0Rifle View Post
You guys better camp just west of Calico in Rainbow Canyon.
Hotshot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2012, 04:09 PM   #37
Hotshot
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Nice job with the upside down picture.
Unread 01-03-2012, 04:11 PM   #38
clg82
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotshot View Post
Nice job with the upside down picture.
That's not upside down that's a pic of you flopped over i know i messed up the picture but it makes the boulders look bigger lol
clg82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2012, 05:24 PM   #39
Hotshot
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Me flopped over. you must be drunk.
Unread 01-04-2012, 03:04 AM   #40
MPond
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Would I be nuts bringing my kids to Calico? They're 6 & 2. I'm trying to convince the wife to make a family camping weekend out of it...
Unread 01-04-2012, 07:05 AM   #41
danielbuck
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevino View Post
More than likely coming home with trail damage, but I've made peace with that already lol
Yup

I've got a new rear bumper I need to break in Although I suspect that I'll just be slamming on the gas tank skid all day instead of hitting the bumper, the new bumper is much much lower profile. My gas tank skid needs to be lifted up, or replaced or something. We'll see, can't wait! Always fun to wheel with new parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPond View Post
Would I be nuts bringing my kids to Calico? They're 6 & 2. I'm trying to convince the wife to make a family camping weekend out of it...
I'd be a bit concerned that they might not be able to enjoy being in a jeep all day, especially if it's bouncing all around. I don't know though, i've seen some folks bring young kids along to various wheeling trips that do just fine. I don't have kids, so I don't know how they would do. Have they been with you offroading all day before?
Unread 01-04-2012, 10:00 AM   #42
MPond
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I'd be a bit concerned that they might not be able to enjoy being in a jeep all day, especially if it's bouncing all around. I don't know though, i've seen some folks bring young kids along to various wheeling trips that do just fine. I don't have kids, so I don't know how they would do. Have they been with you offroading all day before?
Yep - they go wheeling all the time. Did several full days in Moab, Ouray, and even a full day on Cleghorn. I should have asked the question differently... I've never run Calico - is it extreme enough that I wouldn't want the kid onboard? Are there bypasses for the tougher obstacles?
Unread 01-04-2012, 11:11 AM   #43
danielbuck
2006 TJ Wrangler 

ah, gotcha That's awesome that you are able to take your family on wheeling trips with kids so young, I know some kids (and wives!!) that probably couldn't stand to be in a jeep all day long out in the dirt.
Unread 01-04-2012, 11:38 AM   #44
Hotshot
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Calico has a lot of easy trails, mining roads. The only one I'd be worried about taking a young kid on is Doran and thats only because i haven't been on it yet myself. No bypass on Odessa but there's only what 4 obstacles? Momma and the kids could wait for you on the other side of each Obstacle if you weren't comfortable with them in the jeep. Last week at Cougar Buttes there was a couple with maybe a 6 month old baby. At each Obstacle dad got out and held the baby, and spotted for mom. They were being very cautious, and moving real slow.

It's a tuff call to take young kids on the trail. I've been waiting for my Nephew to get a little older. I took him up and down the hill in front of my house a few times and I took him on a fire road/trail in West Cajon Valley when it was raining. He was only 3 at the time and he had a blast. Everytime I hit a bump or splashed through a mud puddle he'd yell again, again. I was a little stressed with him in the jeep though. He's 5 now and his sister is 3 and I think they're ready for some easy trails, and camping. Thats why I'm looking at the new 4 door Rubicon for a second Jeep.
Unread 01-04-2012, 11:40 AM   #45
MPond
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
ah, gotcha That's awesome that you are able to take your family on wheeling trips with kids so young, I know some kids (and wives!!) that probably couldn't stand to be in a jeep all day long out in the dirt.
Thanks. The kids do well, as long as we bring drinks, snacks, and a couple toys to distract them if they get bored with the Jeeping. And while Jeeping isn't my wife's first choice, it's one of those compromises we make for each other - she goes Jeeping, I go to museums... stuff like that.

Back to my underlying question... I've never run Calico, so can anyone tell me how tough it is? Is it extreme enough that I wouldn't want the kids onboard? Are there bypasses for the tougher obstacles? I tend to be less daring when they're with me in the Jeep.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.