Billy vs. San Fran Emissions: HESCO PCM.. For Rent? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > Billy vs. San Fran Emissions: HESCO PCM.. For Rent?

Jeep Grand Cherokee Headlight AssembliesJeep Wrangler Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontPremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 09-11-2012, 06:26 PM   #1
CJ8Hokie
1983 CJ8 

Billy vs. San Fran Emissions: HESCO PCM.. For Rent?

Long story short: I have a junkyard/HESCO MPFI swap in my 258/4.0 Scrambler but used a 1991 YJ PCM during the install. All was well until I moved to San Francisco and need to pass CA emissions.

The problem is Code 41 (Alt field wire) - which is due to not having an externally regulated alternator - throws a CEL. HESCO's PCMs have 41 and all of the other 3X codes removed. The rub: HESCO is all out of the PCMs and it seems like it could be a while (read: forever).

Now, I *could* install an externally regulated alternator to get around the code, but I'm also not sure if the other 3X codes stored on the PCM will still cause me to fail anyways?. In Denver I was told they look past those. Not sure if that's how they roll in SF.

Is there a friendly Jeeper in the SF area that would let me rent/swap their HESCO PCM so I can get my beast through emissions? Not sure what the going rate for something like that would be, but I'm sure we could figure something out.

Thanks in advance -

Unread 09-12-2012, 03:01 PM   #2
Mr_Ranger
1978 CJ5 

You know you're going to have to smog it every 2 years, right?
Mr_Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2012, 03:28 PM   #3
CJ8Hokie
1983 CJ8 

Yeah, totally aware of that. Within two years I'd hope to find a HESCO unit to buy or perhaps have swapped something new in. Or even have moved again. For now I'm just focusing on the short term problem.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.