Big Bear Weekend Feb 6-8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > Big Bear Weekend Feb 6-8

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-23-2009, 03:15 PM   #1
Jeebs
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Big Bear Weekend Feb 6-8

Some of us from San Diego will be heading up to Big Bear the weekend of the 6th-8th for a weekend of wheeling. All are welcome but you are gonna have to make with your own accommodations. Personally I think it is to cold for camping but I know some of you are crazy enough to do it.

The current plan is to meet up at the Discovery Center on the north side of the lake at 9:00AM on Saturday the 7th. We are planning on running Gold Mountain and then John Bull. Time and weather will dictate if there are any other trails squeezed in there.

Jbolty and I are leaving the San Diego area around 2:00PM on Friday afternoon. If you want to caravan up with us you are more than welcome. Just shoot either one of us a PM with a way to contact you and where we can meet ya close to the 15.

CB CHANNEL 24 WILL BE USED

So far it is:

Myself - wife and dogs included
Jbolty
Stvdiego
4X4grey88
Poobah
Sebastian22
4X4Loyr (SCUFF)
gryph0n (SCUFF)

Last edited by Jeebs; 02-04-2009 at 08:29 AM..
Jeebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2009, 07:46 PM   #2
TJCole
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Tj

I might be interested. Would I b able to make it through on 33x12.50's with a three inch lift? I heard wide tires aren't very good in the snow?
TJCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2009, 08:49 PM   #3
Jeebs
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I honestly couldn't say for sure since I have not wheeled in the snow. I have heard that the 35X12.50 ProComp xterrains turn to skis in the snow but that's about it. Maybe some of the locals who have snow wheeled can chime in? Heck, there might not even be a whole lot up there right now.
Unread 01-25-2009, 12:20 AM   #4
XJohnnyC

There still is quite a bit of snow up there, especially on the backside of Gold Mountain. And there was a fallen tree across the trail last week. But one of the local clubs was supposed to be up there this weekend to clear the trail.

When driving in deep snow, air down your tires as much as you can. I have 305/70/16 (33X12.50) tires and at one point, I got stuck in some snow while aired down to 12 psi. I aired down a little more to 8 psi and pulled right out.

There is probably a lot of snow left on John Bull too. We didn't make it that far. Deep Creek had very little snow.
XJohnnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2009, 02:03 AM   #5
TJCole
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Let me see if I can get the days offf from work and I might as well give it a try.
TJCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2009, 08:07 AM   #6
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

In my experience of driving in the snow wider tires are good for hardpack and narrow tires are better for loose snow, where there is a chance if getting down to dirt below.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2009, 10:20 AM   #7
05moabTJ
2013 JK Wrangler 

You'll all be fine, most of BB trails don't even require 4wd from what i've heard. Add the snow and wet rocks, no problem. My 35 X's go anywhere at 9psi up at BB, even in the snow,and if you do John Bull or Gold Mtn I'd recommend 4LO more so since their wet. Have fun Jeff its a blast. Take pics.

2.jpg

1.jpg

05moabTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2009, 12:00 PM   #8
Delta347
Web Wheeler

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Count 2 here. Me and Sean, assuming we figure out plans on where to stay!

Anyone wanna get manly and split a cabin (cost and space) for the weekend perhaps?

Or atleast know a good place to call about one?
Side Effects may include dry mouth, nausea, vomitting, water retention, painful recolage, hallucination, dementia, psycosis, coma, death, and halitosus. YJs are not for everyone please consult your physician before use.
Delta347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2009, 10:18 AM   #9
Jeebs
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Snowing at Big Bear today. Hopefully there isn't some freak heat wave between now and then!
Unread 01-26-2009, 05:29 PM   #10
Socaljeep1

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I was up there a week ago and most snow had turned into ice. But I had a blast skiing!

/l ,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-

()_) ()_)-o-)_)

http://www.keystoneoffroadclub.com/index.html
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Keystone-Off-Road-Club
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/group...an-jeep-group/
Socaljeep1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2009, 07:21 PM   #11
Jeebs
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65thANV-TJ View Post
I was up there a week ago and most snow had turned into ice. But I had a blast skiing!
Wanna come up with us for some wheeling?
Unread 01-26-2009, 07:27 PM   #12
LJameson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Dang, I was just up there this weekend. I would go up with you guys but I'm broke.

-Chris LeDoux

I never could figure what the sky was thinking, but the soil, she don't keep too many secrets.
LJameson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2009, 02:40 PM   #13
sebastian22
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeebs View Post
Some of us from San Diego will be heading up to Big Bear the weekend of the 6th-8th for a weekend of wheeling. All are welcome but you are gonna have to make with your own accommodations. Personally I think it is to cold for camping but I know some of you are crazy enough to do it.

No definitive plans on what trails and times. That will come as we get it hashed out. I just wanted to put the thought in people's heads so they could make arrangements as needed.

So far it is:

Myself - wife and dogs included
Jbolty
I wanna go! What kind of dogs do you have (male or female). I'm thinking about bringing our husky, but he doesn't play nice with other males, specially bigger ones. If that doesn't work out I might have to take my girlfriend.
Unread 01-28-2009, 08:41 AM   #14
Poobah
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Count on 2 more...my gf and I have decided to make a weekend of it in Big Bear...need to get a cabin or hotel reserved still, but we'll be there.
Poobah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2009, 10:28 PM   #15
Jeebs
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian22 View Post
I wanna go! What kind of dogs do you have (male or female). I'm thinking about bringing our husky, but he doesn't play nice with other males, specially bigger ones. If that doesn't work out I might have to take my girlfriend.
Well, we have a yellow lab named Rozzy, a pomeranian named Buddy and the newest is a chihuahua we rescued named Boomer. Boomer is a bit skiddish around bigger dogs but its not that big of a deal. Rozzy is a care bear and Buddy is kinda of a 'doesn't really care about anything' dog. They are all male. Boomer (chihuahua) is the only one that'll be on the trails.

Hope to see you up there for at least a day of wheeling!

Rozzy

Buddy

Boomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poobah View Post
Count on 2 more...my gf and I have decided to make a weekend of it in Big Bear...need to get a cabin or hotel reserved still, but we'll be there.
Looking forward to seeing ya up there!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.