Big Bear - Chains needed? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > Big Bear - Chains needed?

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 12-28-2012, 03:45 PM   #1
MusicMaverick
2010 JK Wrangler 

Big Bear - Chains needed?

Hey guys, I'm making a trip up to Big Bear in Feb. I've gone up to Mammoth before, never needed to use them. Just wanted to see if its ever gone to a Level 3 status (All vehicles including 4x4's require chains). I see a lot of time its at level 2, which I'd be safe with my A/T's. Just wanted to know if its worth investing in a set of chains, and if so, both axles or just front or back?

I'm running BFG 285's on my 2010 Wrangler Sport.

Past vehicles:
1992 YJ
1997 TJ
MusicMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2012, 06:29 PM   #2
bananaslug
1996 ZJ 

My uneducated guess, is that they will only require them if its really coming down. And if so, youll probably want chains regardless because you are driving on a windy mountain shelf road.
bananaslug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2012, 11:00 AM   #3
johngf40

I am a Big Bear resident. I have not seen an R3 up here in the last two years. However, current law is that 4WD vehicles must carry chains even in an R2 situation.
johngf40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2012, 11:08 PM   #4
Xtremegameroom
2000 TJ Wrangler 

You do have to carry chains. Whether you need to put them on or not, you still need to carry them. There is a checkpoint near snow valley where the sherrif checks to see if you have chains.
Chains only run about 80 bucks a set (for my excursions 35's) so it's not too bad. And i think you only need 1 set.
Xtremegameroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2012, 10:18 AM   #5
sandman92k
1998 ZJ 

I was there yesturday, let me put it this way if you do not have a four wheel drive with the proper tires do not go with out the chains, it took me almost 3 hours to get down the back side towards lucerne becuase of all the idiots in vehicles without chains or four wheel drive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
sandman92k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2012, 11:34 AM   #6
MusicMaverick
2010 JK Wrangler 

Thanks guys... Maybe I'll pick up a set just to have them in that case... Can't hurt...

Past vehicles:
1992 YJ
1997 TJ
MusicMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2013, 06:02 PM   #7
TJ-Tera
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Good info guys...going there at the beginning of Feb for my g/f birthday and will be buying a set before then. Thanks!

Moab: Rose Garden Hill, Hell's Revenge, Top O' The World...I love my Jeep! :)

1994 Cherokee 'Greenone' - R.I.P.
1998 Cherokee 'Peri' - Sold
1998 Wrangler 'Tera' - Work in progress
TJ-Tera is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.