Big Bear - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > Big Bear

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 09-30-2013, 05:14 PM   #16
suicideking
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckRunner09 View Post
Hey, I'm headed to big bear Saturday morning through Sunday. Never been there, don't know where to go once I get up there really. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I'm going out with a couple pickup guys so I understand if nobody wants us to tag along but if I could get an idea of where the best trails are that'd be great
Are you looking for something easy, hard, or somewhere in between? Big Bear has a large variety of trails with a wide range of difficulty.

Your build says 2.5" lift and 33's. Do you have rock rails and armor? Lockers?

suicideking is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2013, 05:26 PM   #17
DuckRunner09
2012 JK Wrangler 

I don't have a lift yet, that's on my to do list, I am running almost 100% stock on 285/75 16s, just shy of 33s with a manual Trans, 3.21 gears... No lockers or armor. Pretty mild rig so I'm trying to keep trails mild to medium.
Unread 09-30-2013, 06:40 PM   #18
zombiehunta666
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckRunner09
Hey, I'm headed to big bear Saturday morning through Sunday. Never been there, don't know where to go once I get up there really. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I'm going out with a couple pickup guys so I understand if nobody wants us to tag along but if I could get an idea of where the best trails are that'd be great
That's cool. I'm actually going to calico for a day run on the 5th then heartbreak/Pontiac the following Saturday. That trail is on the backside of Big Bear. I'd suggest going to either 4 Wheel Parts or to the Big Bear discovery center and buy a sidekick map. There 3$ bucks and are perfect to navigate Big Bear. Also have one for lake arrow head. What kinda sled you got? Lift/tires etc? Experience?
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/birth-zombiehunta-1612329/
zombiehunta666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2013, 06:56 PM   #19
DuckRunner09
2012 JK Wrangler 

2012 2 door jk, 6 speed manual, 33" falken wild peak ats, no lift, no lockers, no armor. Hopefully I can get my hands on a welder Friday so I can quick put something together to keep my rockers in tact. Fairly proficient driver in general, pretty new to the Jeep though. Been out to wildomar and lake Elsinore a few times, the rest of my wheeling was done in Minnesota or Wyoming. This will be my first time actually rock crawling unless you count military trucks in Afghan
Unread 09-30-2013, 07:39 PM   #20
zombiehunta666
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
2012 2 door jk, 6 speed manual, 33" falken wild peak ats, no lift, no lockers, no armor. Hopefully I can get my hands on a welder Friday so I can quick put something together to keep my rockers in tact. Fairly proficient driver in general, pretty new to the Jeep though. Been out to wildomar and lake Elsinore a few times, the rest of my wheeling was done in Minnesota or Wyoming. This will be my first time actually rock crawling unless you count military trucks in Afghan
33's and a lift would get you most places in Big Bear. Since now lift I'd stay away from all the big known trails. Get the side kick map. There are a whole lot of trails On the south side of the lake where the city is that a stock jeep can go. On the north side where all the camp sites are where the more aggressive trails are. There are a ton of forest roads there were you can take and see all of the off shoots. With the side kick maps you'll see the difficulty rating. Easy, more difficult, and most difficult. I'd say you'll be fine on the more difficult but you'd be risking some damage. I've never been to wildomar but that's more ruts then the rocks you'll encounter in Big Bear.

Since we are on the subject. Let's do wildomar together... I've been wanting to go. I live near murrieta. In between the two Saturdays I mention I am on vacation. Can you get away during the week? With your set up you can probably run heartbreak but sliders would be best cause with my 2" lift (@ the time) I hit my sliders a few times.

These links are on wrangler forum (WF). There are much more runs there.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f55/tur...sh-258650.html

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f55/bre...-a-290049.html
Unread 09-30-2013, 07:51 PM   #21
DuckRunner09
2012 JK Wrangler 

I'm game to run wildomar with ya sometime but I dunno if I can sneak away from work at all during the weekdays. I'm stationed at Pendleton and train marines prepping for deployments so weekdays I'm almost always stuck where I'm at. I'll let ya know if I can get a day off though if you can give me a more specific date
Unread 09-30-2013, 08:32 PM   #22
zombiehunta666
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I'm game to run wildomar with ya sometime but I dunno if I can sneak away from work at all during the weekdays. I'm stationed at Pendleton and train marines prepping for deployments so weekdays I'm almost always stuck where I'm at. I'll let ya know if I can get a day off though if you can give me a more specific date
Ok will do. The next two Saturdays I'm on runs so I will hit you up after. Keep an eye on this thread.
Unread 09-30-2013, 08:37 PM   #23
DuckRunner09
2012 JK Wrangler 

Sounds good man just lemme know
Unread 09-30-2013, 08:42 PM   #24
zombiehunta666
2013 JK Wrangler 

Hotshot, SkylarM, suicideking. Have an open date? Driving by cleghorn and driving through pilot rock wildomar looks similar. I have heard people say there are some trails up there that need a locker so there should be some difficulty.
Unread 09-30-2013, 10:37 PM   #25
suicideking
2012 JK Wrangler 

For no rails, maybe do Pontiac Slucie and go to Tip Top mtn. Also checkout Jacoby cyn. You could probably handle Heartbreak Ridge too. As Zombiehunter said, with no rails you're risking some damage on the harder stuff. Pickup some stock Rubi rails. You can usually get them for around $100 in the classifieds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiehunta666 View Post
Hotshot, SkylarM, suicideking. Have an open date? Driving by cleghorn and driving through pilot rock wildomar looks similar. I have heard people say there are some trails up there that need a locker so there should be some difficulty.
I'm pretty much booked until sometime in December. Got the Heartbreak/Pontiac run on 10/12, then Calico 11/8. Then the baby is due around Thanksgiving.

I haven't done Wildomar, not sure how that is. Have you done Cleghorn yet? Cleghorn is a fun trail.
Unread 09-30-2013, 10:43 PM   #26
zombiehunta666
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by suicideking
For no rails, maybe do Pontiac Slucie and go to Tip Top mtn. Also checkout Jacoby cyn. You could probably handle Heartbreak Ridge too. As Zombiehunter said, with no rails you're risking some damage on the harder stuff. Pickup some stock Rubi rails. You can usually get them for around $100 in the classifieds. I'm pretty much booked until sometime in December. Got the Heartbreak/Pontiac run on 10/12, then Calico 11/8. Then the baby is due around Thanksgiving. I haven't done Wildomar, not sure how that is. Have you done Cleghorn yet? Cleghorn is a fun trail.
No I have not done cleghorn. Is it a specific trail or off road area. On the way up i-15 to pilot rock I seen a sign indicating cleghorn. That's on the list of things to do.
Unread 09-30-2013, 11:19 PM   #27
suicideking
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiehunta666 View Post
No I have not done cleghorn. Is it a specific trail or off road area. On the way up i-15 to pilot rock I seen a sign indicating cleghorn. That's on the list of things to do.
Cleghorn is one exit south of the Mc D's we met at on Saturday. It ends around where we made a left on 173 to go to Pilot Rock. It's a bunch of spurs, some black diamond stuff but nothing really that hard. There will be plenty of Cleghorn runs once Big Bear starts to get snow. I want to try taking my oldest son this winter. He'll be 5 in December.

It's also a good run for stockers because everything can be bypassed.
Unread 10-01-2013, 08:28 AM   #28
zombiehunta666
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by suicideking
Cleghorn is one exit south of the Mc D's we met at on Saturday. It ends around where we made a left on 173 to go to Pilot Rock. It's a bunch of spurs, some black diamond stuff but nothing really that hard. There will be plenty of Cleghorn runs once Big Bear starts to get snow. I want to try taking my oldest son this winter. He'll be 5 in December. It's also a good run for stockers because everything can be bypassed.
Good to go.
Unread 10-02-2013, 02:27 PM   #29
DuckRunner09
2012 JK Wrangler 

Is big bear going to be open for wheeling with this government shut down? I've tried calling the offices but they're all closed... Not sure if the trails would still be open though. Anyone know for sure?
Unread 10-02-2013, 02:50 PM   #30
zombiehunta666
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Is big bear going to be open for wheeling with this government shut down? I've tried calling the offices but they're all closed... Not sure if the trails would still be open though. Anyone know for sure?
I would assume its open. Only a hand full of trails can lock anyways.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.