Big Bear!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > Big Bear!!

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDual Color LED Light Bars White/Amber

Unread 07-11-2013, 10:48 PM   #1
DodgerFan98
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Big Bear!!

Hey guys kind of a novice jeeper here looking for some suggestions. This coming Tuesday a group of three of us will be heading up to Big Bear from Temecula. The plan so far is to take Rattlesnake Canyon. Which I think I have a vague idea how to find....lol. Then from there I have no idea which trails to hit. Our goal is to eventually find our way to Big Bear lake for lunch then start slowly working our way back to Temecula. What I am looking for is trail suggestions, from where rattlesnake ends on up through the lake then possible one or two more from there..The rigs that will be going are a rubicon TJ 3.5"lift on 33s with a winch and plenty of armor. a nearly stock late 90s 4runner on 31inch all terrains and a limited slip, and my Jeep is a 98 tj sahara with a 2.5 inch lift on 31s with bumpers and open diffs... So hopefully thats enough info, what do you guys think would be a fun day?? Thank you for your help.

DodgerFan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2013, 01:56 PM   #2
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

if you have or can get the "C. Wells" book. It has a good set of trails and clear details on the trails. Or you can pick up the Forestry's local trail maps, free but no details other than "Nxxx" trail numbers.

Group of us AZ wheelers went there last month about, to run all the "Black" trails we could. John Bull, Holcomb ,dishpan ,Gold mine(think that was the name. We did not find those all that hard, though dish pan has some harder lines than the others we thought. Though we all are on 35"s locked and 3+ lifts. FUN area, nice and cool, a lot of driving about though. dishpan starts in Arrow head makes a long drive if you are camping in Big bear.

you should be ok on the moderates.
Unread 07-12-2013, 10:59 PM   #3
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Rattlesnake is just a fire road (well a wash but it's really easy). You don't even need 4wd to get through there. It's a nice drive though. You don't really end up in BB from Rattlesnake unless you take Motino Wash which is pretty difficult. Even then BB is still pretty far and not doable by lunchtime. It took us all day of about 15 Jeeps from the start of Rattlesnake, up Motino, to the Hwy 38 still a ways from Big Bear.

You guys could have fun going up the backside on 18, going up Jacoby Cyn then hitting Gold Mtn. They are pretty easy/moderate trails and lots of fun.
Moabrubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2013, 11:43 AM   #4
DodgerFan98
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the help guys. And Moabrubi, Im thinking I will follow your advice. It does look like it is a long ways on a easy trail. I think we will hit those trails you suggested thank you for the help. Just out of curiosity is John Bull even possible with my rig? My buddy with a lot more money in his rig really wants to do it Im just wondering if I would be able to follow him and avoid the major obstacles. Again my jeep is a Sahara, 2.5" rc coil lift, 31inch bfg a/t, and pro comp classic bumpers, and open diffs with horrible 3.07 gears....lol
Unread 07-13-2013, 12:13 PM   #5
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgerFan98 View Post
Thanks for the help guys. And Moabrubi, Im thinking I will follow your advice. It does look like it is a long ways on a easy trail. I think we will hit those trails you suggested thank you for the help. Just out of curiosity is John Bull even possible with my rig? My buddy with a lot more money in his rig really wants to do it Im just wondering if I would be able to follow him and avoid the major obstacles. Again my jeep is a Sahara, 2.5" rc coil lift, 31inch bfg a/t, and pro comp classic bumpers, and open diffs with horrible 3.07 gears....lol
Well you certainly could hit JB, but I wouldn't reccomend it though. My rig has 35s locked f/r and I had to winch on the second obstacle last time, I just took a bad line though. I don't think it would be fun in a rig like yours unless you like beating the crap out of your rig.
Unread 07-13-2013, 01:23 PM   #6
DodgerFan98
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Lol ok thats what I thought. He was trying to tell me there would be bypasses for everything hard. I really appreciate your help man. Id say you would be welcome to join us if you wanted to but based on your rig, im guessing you would be laughing at everything we will be doing. Still looking forward to it, this will be my first legit day of off roading since i bought the jeep. I have screwed around here in Temecula a bit but nothing out of the area.
Unread 07-13-2013, 05:21 PM   #7
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgerFan98 View Post
Lol ok thats what I thought. He was trying to tell me there would be bypasses for everything hard. I really appreciate your help man. Id say you would be welcome to join us if you wanted to but based on your rig, im guessing you would be laughing at everything we will be doing. Still looking forward to it, this will be my first legit day of off roading since i bought the jeep. I have screwed around here in Temecula a bit but nothing out of the area.
Haha there's definitely no bypasses on most of the obstacles. Some routes are a lot easier then others though. Laughing? Nah, I enjoy the easy trails just as much as the difficult trails . If I didn't have to work I'd love to spend the day up there in BB. I'd much rather go wheeling no matter what trail it is!

You will love Big Bear, there is so many trails to hit up there. You guys should pick up a map in case you finish early though. Another one that comes to mind that would be perfect is Horsethief Flats. That's one of my favorites.
Unread 07-15-2013, 09:12 AM   #8
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I have never thought of John Bull as a very difficult trail but after going through it a few weeks ago it has definately gotten a little more challenging. But, if you have a good spotter, patient friends and are not afraid to use your rock rails you can get it done. We had two rigs that where only mildy lifted on 31 and 33 tires and I think we had to give each one a pull maybe one or two times. They both gave their skid plates a good working over.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2013, 12:08 PM   #9
DodgerFan98
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Big Bear was awesome! We did Jacoby Canyon but the was just a dirt road, went across the highway to Horsethief Flats, that was fun but it was hot as hell down in that valley. Went around the loop climbed the little steep climb to the lookout over what i believe is Johnson Valley. Then went back to town for lunch 3 pitchers and a pretty damn good burger from BJs hit up a little jeep mechanic in town for some info then off to Gold Mountain. Loved this trail not gonna lie i took the far left line on the first obstacle, then on the second obstacle I tried the left line with the V shaped rocks..it wasnt pretty but i made it with only a scuff from one of the trees. Rest of the trail was pretty easy had some fun screwing around in the rock garden and had to put a strap on the toyota that was with us a few times. But overall a great day in Big Bear, really enjoyed Gold Mountain Trail.
Unread 07-17-2013, 12:13 PM   #10
DodgerFan98
1998 TJ Wrangler 

20130716_154429_1-1-.jpg  
Unread 07-17-2013, 12:22 PM   #11
DodgerFan98
1998 TJ Wrangler 

big-bear-2.jpg  
Unread 07-17-2013, 12:29 PM   #12
DodgerFan98
1998 TJ Wrangler 

big-bear-3.jpg  
Unread 07-17-2013, 12:37 PM   #13
DodgerFan98
1998 TJ Wrangler 

big-bear-4.jpg  
Unread 07-17-2013, 05:42 PM   #14
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Glad to hear you had a good time! Yea I should have warned you that Horsethief is hot as hell during the day and Jacoby is just a fire road. Either way it sure beats working!

Oh if you ever want to go wheeling hit me up, Always down to go wherever.
Unread 07-17-2013, 10:03 PM   #15
DodgerFan98
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah man I'll definitely let you know next time we are putting something together. And same as far as you any time you want to take some easier trails shoot me an invite. Although anything rougher then Gold Mountain and you will be dragging me up the trail lol. But with that jeep you have that is probably more then possible. I added you as a buddy on the forums.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.