Baja Camping trip, early 2014, anyone in? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > Baja Camping trip, early 2014, anyone in?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 12-11-2013, 03:35 PM   #1
RacerAV
2014 J-Series Truck 

Baja Camping trip, early 2014, anyone in?

My buddy from another forum is planning a fun quick trip. 3-day-weekend style.

They're Tacoma guys, but all cool. haha. I had a Tacoma for a long time. Now I'm in a new JKUR. Love it! Anyway, all friends are welcome. You know how it is.

His post:
Alright guys for all the so cal members, AZ, Nevada or whoever is down, I'm planning a Baja trip for early next year. I talked to a few members and it would be ideal we go on a holiday, possibly presidents day or a holiday where we have a Monday off.

The plan is to leave early Friday and head towards San Diego. Cross the border to Tijuana and get the hell out of there as quickly as possible lol and head towards a town in the mountains of Baja called JACUME. From Tijuana to Jacume is about 1.5-2hr drive, not that far. Jacume is a small town where once a year a off road race from the CODE OFF ROAD racing association is held at. Mcneil racing team and Walsh usually race this race every year, the owner of the town lets people camp out in his town, there's camping grounds with bbq's and restrooms and over a race course loop of 30 miles i believe. It's a really neat spot to camp out at and the race course is pretty badass, i got the opportunity to prerun it in my uncles class 10 buggy this past year.

So i think staying there till Saturday would be cool and Saturday afternoon head over to the other side of the mountains to a national park called LAGUNA HANSON. My uncles own a cabin there, and the fireroad to get the to the cabin is about 45min-1hr drive and the scenery is amazing! Laguna hanson is well known in baja for its scenerys and lakes around the national park, my uncles have a big property and a big cabin where we can spend the rest of the weekend. Theres many trails that lead to many sides of the mountains itself and also leads to the backside of the mountains that take you to OJOS NEGROS part of the town where the Baja 1000 is raced.

I think this would be an awesome trip for anyone who wants to go down to baja for their first time, my plan is to come back monday moorning, we would be back in the states by 2-3pm and from there just head our seperate ways.

Posting this now so people who want to go can plan ahead, it would most-likely be presidents day where theres no work and school so we don't have to deal with that.

I will be posting pics of Laguna hanson, Jacume and the cabin we will be staying at for a couple of nights. If you guys have any other suggestions please feel free to speak out.

Alright, so who's down for a baja trip to kick off 2014?!

P.S. NO YOU WILL NOT BE KILLED AND TAKEN BY THE MEXICAN CARTEL! AS LONG AS WE STICK TOGETHER WE WILL BE COOL! PEOPLE IN BAJA LOVE OFF ROADING AND THE PEOPLE WHO ARE IN IT SO PLEASE DONT ASSUME YOUR HEAD WILL BE CHOPPED OFF.

RacerAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2013, 08:49 PM   #2
Ralphrlong

I'm interested.

Love Baja. Haven't been there for 6-7 years. Am in withdrawal.

Let's firm this up a little.

Interested in medium difficulty wheeling. And camping. Have an XJ.
Ralphrlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2013, 03:35 PM   #3
Ken Cooke
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I just came back from a 5 day trip to Baja. The food was out of this world. The camping was 1st rate - nobody around for miles. The trails were challenging. It was a great time up in the Sierra Juarez.

I've gone to Jacume a few times over the years. Great rock crawling venue!

Jacume

Ken Cooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2013, 03:42 PM   #4
Ken Cooke
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Laguna Salada - November 2013

The Laguna Salada is still most likely saturated and undriveable. It was a lot of fun, though! Our Jeeps after 10 minutes trying to cross the Laguna Salada. We turned back (obviously).LOL

Palomar Canyon - our destination

Palomar Canyon Trail

El Mano Canyon Trail

Let me know when you plan on setting this trip up. I really enjoyed our trip to Baja and want to keep going in '14.
Ken Cooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2014, 06:24 PM   #5
slickrocksteve
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Has this fallen by the wayside?
slickrocksteve is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.