17th Annual El Pasos/Red Rock Ca. Trip - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > 17th Annual El Pasos/Red Rock Ca. Trip

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6

Unread 12-12-2014, 12:57 PM   #1
mojavedave
1998 XJ Cherokee 

17th Annual El Pasos/Red Rock Ca. Trip

~HI-N-LO Desert Runners Club 17th Annual El Paso Mountain Range Trip~

Duration:

02/12/15-02/15/15~Heading out Thursday night, February 12, 2015 and packing up and heading home Sunday night, February 15, 2015.

Requirements:

4WD~No Exceptions, each party is responsible for their own traveling and passengers (the 3 immediately confirmed folks/rigs for this trip are full with no room for passengers), food, water, sleeping arrangements and bedding (tents or in your rig as there are no true amenities otherwise), pretty much the basics. It is possible to get to this location with a 2WD with high clearance; however, there WILL be outings that require 4WD period. Thus, I recommend 4WD for the whole trip. Also, small lightweight tent trailers and popups can make it with caution so don’t let that deter you if you prefer to bring a tent trailer or popup. If possible, please try to bring a little firewood for the campfire. One small bundle per night seems to be a reasonable contribution and helps insure no one is left in the “cold” so to speak, LOL. There are numerous exposed mining shafts, both vertical and horizontal, so caution and safety is a priority. Our group usually uses CB Radio for most communications and is more than adequate. We are primarily on channel 18. We will have two FRS handhelds as well while at camp. The only other things I ask are to bring a hunger for getting away from civilization and a happy attitude! That’s what this trip has been, is and shall continue to be about! It will be cold, so keep this in mind when packing clothes and bedding. February can be surprisingly warm both day and night. It can also be colder than a witch’s…well, you know. What's the one thing that it ALWAYS IS? It’s ALWAYS a great time with old friends and making new ones as well.

Location approximated in image below.

For any other questions, email me at hinlodesertrunners@yahoo.com or of course comment/reply here.

Dave / Mojavedave

holland-camp-3.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/hinlo.desertrunners
mojavedave is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2014, 05:53 AM   #2
kg6bws
2011 JK Wrangler 

Im also in Lancaster and would like to join you guys. Its just too far out to commit right now. Are you going to have a set number of vehicles?
Unread 12-15-2014, 10:20 AM   #3
slickrocksteve
2006 TJ Wrangler 

kg6bws;

No number restriction for now. Dave may cap the number later.
Just remember this is primitive, so water, and taking care of nesessary sanitation, can be a bit of a worry if you are real shy.
If you bring kids, WATCH THEM! Lots of open mining shafts, and some vertical, or have vertical shafts in them.
Dogs as well must be watched, as they must be both friendly, and kept out of the mines.

Dave and his Dad, and I went up there a couple months ago, and kind of squatted in the ruins for shelter from the wind.
I don't see a wind problem this time, but the idea of cold is a concern. Dress for cold, and pray for NO rain!

Plenty of gullys and stuff to test your abilities, near camp, but the roads into the area are pretty easy once you get up Iron Canyon.
I am bringing my small off road trailer, and made this last time no sweat. BUT...I have a LOT of clearance under my trailer,
And have 16" wheels. this trip is geared for all levels of off road knowledge, so even newbies will have no problems, if a little
common sense is used.

This is the camp area....

slickrocksteve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2014, 10:27 AM   #4
slickrocksteve
2006 TJ Wrangler 

As you can see, the area for camping is pretty smooth, but tents campers will need to use a pad.

Here are also a couple of the mines we explored last time...

As I said...lots of vertical shafts as well...beware!!

We always figure on lots of good eats too!...

Unread 12-16-2014, 06:18 AM   #5
kg6bws
2011 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the info. No worries about the camping. Ive been offroading/camping for a long time and Ive never been a big fan of campgrounds. No kids, no pets. I run solo about 99% of the time. This is way out of my comfort zone going on a run with other people but it would be nice to find others to explore with.
Unread 12-16-2014, 09:55 PM   #6
slickrocksteve
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Well Justin, you sound like our kind of people.
Come on out, and relax, while your human batteries recharge.
Unread Yesterday, 02:07 PM   #7
mojavedave
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6bws View Post
Thanks for the info. No worries about the camping. Ive been offroading/camping for a long time and Ive never been a big fan of campgrounds. No kids, no pets. I run solo about 99% of the time. This is way out of my comfort zone going on a run with other people but it would be nice to find others to explore with.
First, thanks to Steve for gettin' in here and sharing a little info and replying! I have been away from the site for a few, obviously!

Anyway, Steve is right, it's mild mannered and the right type of folks are always welcomed!
https://www.facebook.com/hinlo.desertrunners
mojavedave is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 06:24 AM   #8
kg6bws
2011 JK Wrangler 

Thanks to both of you. I wheel 99% alone so itd be nice to meet a few people. Sitting around a campfire alone all the time isnt all that much fun lol. Ill keep an eye on this. With my work schedule ever changing I just cant make plans until it gets closer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.