Thinking about a trip ih Feb. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Hawaii Jeep Forum > Thinking about a trip ih Feb.

6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 09-29-2011, 11:02 AM   #1
ajobrien
2011 JK Wrangler 

Thinking about a trip ih Feb.

So my daughter and I have been talking about a trip to HI in Feb. We've never been before.

I was looking for which island(s) we might want to see and started reading about Lanai. I like out of the way places and it doesn't seem as popular as the other islands so wouldn't be as crowded and touristy.

But what really got me interested was the 400 miles of dirt/off road opportunities there are.

Anyone ever been? The website said that off road driving (in rentals) on the other islands is discouraged...even if you rent a jeep but on Lanai it is necessary.

So, is it worth it?

ajobrien is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2011, 10:08 AM   #2
geewhiz
1978 CJ5 

Me Too!!

We are also planing a trip in Feb. I do not know what island we are going to, but I wanted to look into renting a jeep to do little four wheeling.
geewhiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2011, 04:26 AM   #3
Hard_oNe
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Aloha,

Its worth renting a jeep and exploring the island. Only the outer island where you are able to "legally" off-road it even though the car rental co will tell you not to go off-road. The Big Island, Maui, and Molokai will be the island to do this, especially the Big Island. The Kona side of the Big Island of Hawaii has tons of trails that lead to "somewhat" deserted beaches. North of the airport are rock trails...south of Kona has black sand beaches only for 4x4.

Anyone 4x4 on black sand beaches? You will get stuck if you don't do the prep, so make sure you know how to 4x4 loose grainy sand.

My first post, yay!
Hard_oNe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2011, 12:49 PM   #4
ajobrien
2011 JK Wrangler 

Yay. Thanks for the info. I'm excited even though I hate to fly.
ajobrien is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2011, 02:53 AM   #5
geewhiz
1978 CJ5 

At the end of January we are saying at the Outrigger Royal Kahana near Kapalua-West Maui Airport. Are there trails and sights there? Any trail maps?
Unread 01-26-2012, 11:59 AM   #6
geewhiz
1978 CJ5 

Here we are

We are here! I see a lot of rental Jeeps! Also some Toyotas with wide tires.
Unread 01-26-2012, 06:00 PM   #7
geewhiz
1978 CJ5 

Hawaiian pizza near our condo? I need a pizza near our condo? See post 5, for location.
Unread 01-27-2012, 11:44 AM   #8
geewhiz
1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by geewhiz View Post
Hawaiian pizza near our condo? I need a pizza near our condo? See post 5, for location.
We found Lahaina Pizza Co. on Front Street. Not too bad.
I saw a great looking older Bronco on Front Street, no windshield, only front seats, bored and stroked V8, nice sounding exhaust, six inch or so lift, and Boggers. looked like fun!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.