Need some Maui advice! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Hawaii Jeep Forum > Need some Maui advice!

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 06-06-2011, 09:03 AM   #1
SomeBeach
2007 JK Wrangler 

Need some Maui advice!

Getting close to heading to HI...
Renting a Jeep of course!

I think the only thing that I'm unsure of is my plans to take the Road to Hana trip. I'm not sure that I'm going to be able to get in enough of what I want to see in one day.

We're going to be staying at Ka'anapali Beach and I have no concept of drive times......I'm not sure that I want to make the Hana trip twice.....and spend two of my days driving like that.

Any tips? I would like to do the full round trip rather than turn around and go back the way I came. I would say that probably most of what I want to see is beyond Hana. But I also know that to get to where you want to be to see certain things involves hiking on foot, which is going to eat up a lot of my time.

SomeBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2011, 07:29 PM   #2
motojunkie
2003 TJ Wrangler 

If you are staying up on that side of the island, count on about 45 minutes to get to Kahului, and another 2.5 to 3 hours of driving to get to Hana. Trust me when I say you'll be stopping along the way. Bring extra batteries in the camera, and food for the trip. There isn't anywhere to eat or get fuel until you are in Hana so go prepared. If you go past Hana, the rental car company will not pay for anything that happens to you out there. IMO its worth the drive. You get some cool sections climbing up and down the side of the cliff faces and some great views. The road isn't paved and kind of rough, but its really not too bad. If you plan on hiking you need to start your day EARLY. I've only made the trip all the way around once with some daylight left and it was with minimal stops by myself.

Honestly it is worth it to take your time and spend two days if you are going to hike around and see more of the area. If you are on a time crunch you can see a TON of cool things in one day as long as you start early.

If you need any other ideas on what do to and where to eat I'll help you out however I can.

Air Force Jeep Club member #92
motojunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2011, 07:01 AM   #3
SomeBeach
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by motojunkie View Post
If you are staying up on that side of the island, count on about 45 minutes to get to Kahului, and another 2.5 to 3 hours of driving to get to Hana. Trust me when I say you'll be stopping along the way. Bring extra batteries in the camera, and food for the trip. There isn't anywhere to eat or get fuel until you are in Hana so go prepared. If you go past Hana, the rental car company will not pay for anything that happens to you out there. IMO its worth the drive. You get some cool sections climbing up and down the side of the cliff faces and some great views. The road isn't paved and kind of rough, but its really not too bad. If you plan on hiking you need to start your day EARLY. I've only made the trip all the way around once with some daylight left and it was with minimal stops by myself.

Honestly it is worth it to take your time and spend two days if you are going to hike around and see more of the area. If you are on a time crunch you can see a TON of cool things in one day as long as you start early.

If you need any other ideas on what do to and where to eat I'll help you out however I can.
Hey, thanks a lot! I appreciate hearing from someone who has first hand knowledge of the trip. We figured that day would be starting at first light....I guess if we linger too long and don't get to see everything that we want, we can probably squeeze in a second day by-passing all the things we saw the first time and picking up where left off.

And I'm open to suggestions that anyone has on a "must see/do" list for that trip!
Unread 06-07-2011, 06:24 PM   #4
motojunkie
2003 TJ Wrangler 

IMO, I wouldn't drive it twice. Just find a beach to camp on or hit up a bed n breakfast in Hana. Its a LONG drive on a SHORT vacation on this island. Charles Lindberg (sp?) is buried out there, plenty of hiking trails too. I would definately stop at the 7 sacred pools, they are great for swimming if the water isn't running high. There are some really cool black sand beaches to see, we usually stop on one for a picnic lunch. If you like bridges there are 50+ single lane stone bridges to cross, and during the rainy season most have water running under them. If you want to see some plants and animals there is a cool spot to stop and check out. I can't remember the name, but its 10 per person I believe, and you can't miss it. There is also a view of the rock featured in jurassic park when they are flying towards the island in the helo (not very impressive IMO-just a rock in the ocean).

If you got up Haleakala to the summit you'll see our toys - all the telescopes and whatnot I get to play with from time to time.

As far as the rest of the island, the only things I would say you need to do is snorkel and hit up a luau. They have snorkel trips out to molokini, but honestly you can get into some awesome snorkeling from shore if you don't want to spend the money. Eat at Pizza madness in Kihei and cheeseburgers island style at the shops in Wailea. The food in Lahaina didn't impress me at any of the places I've eaten, but thats my opinion. If its raining and you want sunshine, come down to Kihei since it rains about five times a year on this side.

Unread 06-09-2011, 08:09 AM   #5
SomeBeach
2007 JK Wrangler 

Moto, you're the greatest! Thanks for your input.....we already have the big 4 must-do's booked....Snorkeling at Molokini and Turtle town, Helicopter ride, Luau and Dinner Cruise on a catamaran.

I'm so jealous that you get to play with the telescopes......I see them all the time on the science channel when I'm watching Michio Kaku talk about black holes....

What do you do and how can I get a job there?

I called Dollar Rent a Car yesterday just to insure that we got a soft-top jeep...I would have really been bummed if we got there and got stuck with a non-removable hard top. Do you think I'll get a whole lota grief if I take the doors off and stash them in the hotel room?

Thanks again!
Unread 06-09-2011, 02:28 PM   #6
motojunkie
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I'm an E-6 in the Air Force, one of a VERY small group of people in my career field that has held this job. Sadly I will be the last as we aren't replacing any enlisted folks out here as we PCS. On the other side, the AF is keeping the officers out here since they fit the bill a little better with various degrees and they tend to like surfing. Our detachment is pretty small without any base support so we are pretty much on our own out here. When I'm on the mountain I just help out the operators when we are tracking objects that are in orbit, other than that I've done post image processing with our super computer and a few other projects that included some pretty large lasers.

I don't think they'll care about your doors, and if you end up with a hard top you can come over and use the hoist in my garage that I use for mine. I also wouldn't leave anything you care about in the jeep, people recognize the rental jeeps and will take anything not bolted down. haha. As sad as it is, not everyone here lives aloha.

Turtle town is awesome, and you can access it from the beach - but you are guaranteed to see some turtles there. Its too bad the whales aren't here though, they are really impressive. If you have any extra time you are far enough north that I would definately snorkel honolua bay and black rock, the last time I went to honolua I saw several species that i hadn't seen elsewhere - to include 2 octopuss(es?, octopi?) very cool bay to snorkel when the water is calm. If you eat at pizza madness they have free mags that have directions to all the popular snorkel spots and really good pizza.

Unread 06-10-2011, 03:36 PM   #7
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

We have taken the road a few times and my favorite way was to take it backwards. Stay in upcountry (Kula). Several B&B's to choose from and take the road the opposite way most do. You'll have practically no traffic. You'll get to the park way before most do. Take the hike thru the bamboo forest to the waterfall. Well worth the hike, and by the time you head back on the road everyone coming from the normal way is at their destination and it's pretty smooth sailing. Like Moto says, start early and plan for an all day'er. The road has improved a lot since before the quake. We took it last year in a mustang vert with no problems. Use your horn on the blind corners and take your time. Most of the rental jeeps we've used have been soft tops.
bobthetj03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2011, 01:20 PM   #8
SomeBeach
2007 JK Wrangler 

Some of the cool things I saw that were not the major attractions!

Can't wait to go back!
dsc03807.jpg   dsc03808.jpg   dsc03800.jpg   p6270041.jpg  
Unread 07-05-2011, 01:22 PM   #9
HurricaneRZA
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Snorkeling is a definite must-do. I was blown away when I went it was truly a fantastic experience.
[QUOTE=doublins;15539665]I always get people coming over and saying things like "I wish I knew how to do that," etc- but they don't realize- at some point I didn't know how to do it either- I had to figure it out.[/QUOTE]
HurricaneRZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2011, 06:15 PM   #10
motojunkie
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Looks like the road up on the hill coming back from Hana. I've almost hit those cows EVERY time I've driven around there. haha.

So, where's the rest of the pics?

Unread 07-06-2011, 07:02 AM   #11
SomeBeach
2007 JK Wrangler 

Moto,

You are correct sir! That was one heck of a drive!....The road was definitely passable, I was in a Jeep, so no prob. However, it was one serious washboard.....there were some kids in a car that were taking it at about 40-50 mph.....must have been a rental.

More Pics.
mary-statue.jpg   p6260039.jpg   dsc03762.jpg   p6260032.jpg   p6260043.jpg  

Unread 10-06-2011, 10:48 PM   #12
RockWoRM
Don't Fear the Jeeper

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Bump...

The wifey and I will be there in about a week... any other advice/suggestions to offer?

WRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.