Moving to Hawaii, now what?? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Hawaii Jeep Forum > Moving to Hawaii, now what??

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-09-2010, 11:17 AM   #16
franknstn_cj5
2006 LJ Wrangler 

There are no more sketchy places in Wahiawa, and you wouldn't want to risk it anyway, especially if you're military.

Once again I have to stress that you can have any type of car on Oahu as long as you take care of it. Just like anywhere else. Anyone who says different clearly can't take care of a vehicle.

franknstn_cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2010, 11:50 AM   #17
McKBrew
JK Wrangler 

Just left there a few years ago.

I am still willing to bet there are shops that will hook you up on the inspections.

Don't know what the wheeling scene is like out there, didn't have a Jeep at the time. Still, probably one of the best places weather wise to run with the top down/off almost all year long.

Car theft is a big issue. You wouldn't think so because it's an island, but I've know people who have gotten vehicles stolen right out of base housing. Not all of it is gated, and the stuff that is.... people still find a way to get on.
McKBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2010, 12:09 PM   #18
franknstn_cj5
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Once again, there's abolutely no shops anymore that will "hook you up". I've had 3 Jeeps out here so far, built them all and trust me, I tried to get safety's from these so-called "hook-up" shops, and they don't exist anymore. The state has really cracked down in 09-10, made traceable numbers on safety check stickers so they know exactly who issued the sticker, and have increased the fines for giving out bad safety inspections and are now authorized to completely revoke a safety inspection station's license for just one bad safety check.

So do it right, or don't do it.

And weather depends on what part of the island you're on - I'm central in Wahiawa and it's been raining pretty much for 2 weeks off and on every day. Definitely not the type of weather that I expected!
franknstn_cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2010, 01:21 AM   #19
nerfburglar
1990 XJ Cherokee 

they cracked down on saftey inspections and recons.
my lifted F150 had the reverse lights wired on to a toggle switch.
and the brights were wired off a toggle switch too.
wouldnt pass , so i had to go and pull a steering column from another truck, and rewire everything.. ( freakin sucked, never see any 78 or 79 ford trucks in junk yards here)

the "hook up" is pretty much gone. lets say you do get it, youll get pulled over, and get fined. then the inspection is traced, and the place who issued the inspection is in trouble, and then they wont risk doing it again because of the fine, after so many times, the ispection place loses their permit.
no one is gonna risk that, all just to "hook " some on up.
if you lift some thing, simple, get a $100 front wheel alignment , set up an recon appointment, if everything is to code, you get the inspection.

sucks for me, i had 5 lifted vehicles down here, i didnt know of any wheeling spots that are legal!
nerfburglar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2010, 01:35 AM   #20
Nightwalker
1979 CJ5 

The locals on Ohau aren't as freandly as you might think. My cousin and her husband are there now. Hopefuly they get to come back home soon.

[SIZE="3"][B][COLOR="Red"]"Give Life" Donate a pint of blood.[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]

"This place is like a fine drug.

It's easy to start, hard to quit, you lose sleep over it, you lose money because of it, and you put up with alot of **** from some people associated with it. But no matter what you never wanna give it up."

Can't sleep?
Join [url]http://www.nightcrew.org/index.php[/url]
Nightwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2010, 08:28 AM   #21
McKBrew
JK Wrangler 

As far as the locals. Never had an issue with them.

They are big on family, and being that I had kids that might have made a difference. I think that many of the "bad" interactions though take place between intoxicated service members and locals.

I enjoyed the four years I spent there, but wouldn't care to go back to live unless it were one of the less populated islands. The lack of any real off roading though would probably prevent me from living there anyhow.
McKBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2010, 01:28 PM   #22
Nightwalker
1979 CJ5 

The locals aren't mean or anything. Their just not as for lack of a better word welcoming. Their not as openly freindly as people are around these parts and that just kinda through my cousin for a loop. She teaches and the kids up this way used to give her hugs and draw her pictures and stuff. Down there they don't.

[SIZE="3"][B][COLOR="Red"]"Give Life" Donate a pint of blood.[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]

"This place is like a fine drug.

It's easy to start, hard to quit, you lose sleep over it, you lose money because of it, and you put up with alot of **** from some people associated with it. But no matter what you never wanna give it up."

Can't sleep?
Join [url]http://www.nightcrew.org/index.php[/url]
Nightwalker is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.