Moving to Hawaii, now what?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Hawaii Jeep Forum > Moving to Hawaii, now what??

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 02-27-2009, 05:57 AM   #1
uscgjp
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Moving to Hawaii, now what??

So, just got orders to Hawaii, be there for the next three years. Anyone who's been out there have advice on the following:

- We'll have a motorcycle and a sedan already. Worth it to take the Jeep too?
- How much off road terrain is there for public use?
- Me jeep is lifted, 32"s, and could use a little TLC on body work. How much of a headache is getting it inspected out there going to be? (I've heard horror stories of bringing modified out of state vehicles)
- Might it be better to leave my jeep here and pick up an older jeep out there just to keep beating up for a few years?

Thanks!

Blue Jeep Club Member #272
uscgjp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2009, 09:46 AM   #2
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Which island?

If you value the vehicle, leave it on the mainland. The humidity and salt air literally eats metal there. When you get there you'll see all the rotted cars.
I lived on Kauai and had my Corvette shipped over. It was fiberglass, but the metal parts were starting to show rust even after six months.
Depending on which island, I don't know how mush wheelin' you'll do.
RJC#512
RikRotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2009, 08:06 PM   #3
-Zona-

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscgjp View Post
So, just got orders to Hawaii, be there for the next three years. Anyone who's been out there have advice on the following:

- Me jeep is lifted, 32"s, and could use a little TLC on body work. How much of a headache is getting it inspected out there going to be? (I've heard horror stories of bringing modified out of state vehicles)
- Might it be better to leave my jeep here and pick up an older jeep out there just to keep beating up for a few years?

Thanks!
1- Leave the Jeep, unless you are dual military they will only ship one for free
2-On Oahu there are only a few trails. http://www.youtube.com/decepticon28
3-The inspection isn't a problem if you find the right shop, you can find some shady shops in Wahiawa that will give RadioFlyer wagons an inspection sticker
4- Leave your Jeep if you value it.

I'm leaving at the end of March, this place ****ing blows on my ****. Good luck. I know I'll never return in my lifetime.
-Zona- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2009, 07:58 PM   #4
uscgjp
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Oahu. What are the chances of finding something like a used XJ over there for a few grand in driveable condition?

Blue Jeep Club Member #272
uscgjp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2009, 05:21 PM   #5
-Zona-

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/searc...=0&maxAsk=3000

Have a day.
Unread 03-01-2009, 09:10 PM   #6
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonaJeep View Post
1- Leave the Jeep, unless you are dual military they will only ship one for free
2-On Oahu there are only a few trails. http://www.youtube.com/decepticon28
3-The inspection isn't a problem if you find the right shop, you can find some shady shops in Wahiawa that will give RadioFlyer wagons an inspection sticker
4- Leave your Jeep if you value it.

I'm leaving at the end of March, this place ****ing blows on my ****. Good luck. I know I'll never return in my lifetime.
This is the best advice I've ever read on the topic.....ever.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2009, 12:19 AM   #7
izanuff

Aslong as you take care of your vehicle and clean it more than once every 6 months then you will be fine. I bought a 98 TJ when i first arrive and it had 38k island miles on it. never left and had barely any rust. Because the owner made sure to wash the undercarriage with fresh water. As far as XJ's. There are always a few for sale on craigslist. I am stationed on Kaneohe Marince Base on the windward side. We get all of the salt air off the water and have had my 2nd Jeep for a year now and it looks the same as when I purchased it. You can even take your vehicle on the superferry on ship it to another island on a barge and go wheeling. The big island has some sick wheeling spots!

Recon inspection is not hard to get. Yet another misconception. Basic info is, aslong as your tires are covered by fenders (the tread of the tire doesnt have to be the sidewalls) and mud flaps on the rear tire (you can take them off after inspection) you are good to go. I am a good ol boy from Alabama, I think Hawaii is an awesome place and for the people who say it $%&%^*#^#&$# $#&%%#^$# or whatever they say behind those characters must have stayed inside their house the whole time they were here. The 2 complaints I have are I like to take road trips and that I miss cheap or free shipping.

As far as shipping, from Va it will be around $2k if you have to pay. So unless your Jeep as lots of sentimental value or you have lots of time and effort into it, I would look into selling and purchase one already on the island. There are plenty of Jeeps on the island from any price range you can imagine and in any condition you can imagine. No need in even looking at dealerships, just check craigslist.

My $0.02
1 TONS!
izanuff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2009, 02:24 PM   #8
Daldo
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by izanuff View Post
Aslong as you take care of your vehicle and clean it more than once every 6 months then you will be fine. I bought a 98 TJ when i first arrive and it had 38k island miles on it. never left and had barely any rust. Because the owner made sure to wash the undercarriage with fresh water. As far as XJ's. There are always a few for sale on craigslist. I am stationed on Kaneohe Marince Base on the windward side. We get all of the salt air off the water and have had my 2nd Jeep for a year now and it looks the same as when I purchased it. You can even take your vehicle on the superferry on ship it to another island on a barge and go wheeling. The big island has some sick wheeling spots!

Recon inspection is not hard to get. Yet another misconception. Basic info is, aslong as your tires are covered by fenders (the tread of the tire doesnt have to be the sidewalls) and mud flaps on the rear tire (you can take them off after inspection) you are good to go. I am a good ol boy from Alabama, I think Hawaii is an awesome place and for the people who say it $%&%^*#^#&$# $#&%%#^$# or whatever they say behind those characters must have stayed inside their house the whole time they were here. The 2 complaints I have are I like to take road trips and that I miss cheap or free shipping.

As far as shipping, from Va it will be around $2k if you have to pay. So unless your Jeep as lots of sentimental value or you have lots of time and effort into it, I would look into selling and purchase one already on the island. There are plenty of Jeeps on the island from any price range you can imagine and in any condition you can imagine. No need in even looking at dealerships, just check craigslist.

My $0.02

This dude is completely right i've lived here for 2 years now and have 2 jeeps, i'm just going to sell one when i leave. And the flatts is a really good place to wheel just a be%%%%ch to get a permit to go up sometimes, but the point is a good last minuet place to go. The trails here are as hard as you make it.
Unread 05-03-2009, 12:38 PM   #9
-Zona-

Quote:
I am a good ol boy from Alabama, I think Hawaii is an awesome place and for the people who say it $%&%^*#^#&$# $#&%%#^$# or whatever they say behind those characters must have stayed inside their house the whole time they were here.
Nope, I got out alot, that's how I know I can make an unbiased opinion in saying it sucks balls.
Unread 04-27-2010, 11:13 PM   #10
franknstn_cj5
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I'm a Marine stationed here. I've bought 3 Jeeps here so far, none of which were "destroyed" by rust. Don't be lazy, buy a hose and wash it once a week, and it'll stay pretty. Leave it sit outside and never wash it, and wowwww go figure it's going to rust.

Wheeling wheeling wheeling. Is there as many trails out here? No, of course not. Is it alright? Yup.

Oahu is what you make of it. If you think it's sucky, it's because you made it sucky.

Not one shop in Wahiawa will give you an inspection sticker, even if you pay extra. I've tried. And yes the restrictions on modified vehicles are retarded, but it IS Hawaii. Oahu's education rate is among the worst in the nation.

So, take it for what it is. There's lots of us have-to-but-dont-want-to-live-here military guys, but we make it a good time. Jeep's are a hell of a good hobby to have over here, because you'll do all the normal touristy stuff in about a month, and be sick of it.

Best of luck man -
franknstn_cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2010, 01:49 AM   #11
nerfburglar
1990 XJ Cherokee 

i got an xj , and im looking to go on some trails, where do i go , and what do i gotta do to get a permit or wat ever?
im on oahu. jeep is stock, will get lifted 4inches soon, will be reconed.

where do i go?!!!?!!!?!!
nerfburglar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2010, 04:49 PM   #12
franknstn_cj5
2006 LJ Wrangler 

haha settlleeee downnnnnnn

are you military?

you're questions are pretty vague. by permit, do you mean a recon inspection? i can get you the number for that, but that's only for modified vehicles.

are you going to do the lift yourself? i've got a 94 xj over here in wahiawa.
franknstn_cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2010, 06:39 PM   #13
nerfburglar
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by franknstn_cj5 View Post
haha settlleeee downnnnnnn

are you military?

you're questions are pretty vague. by permit, do you mean a recon inspection? i can get you the number for that, but that's only for modified vehicles.

are you going to do the lift yourself? i've got a 94 xj over here in wahiawa.
was , decided to stay here for a while

my jeep is stock. well, some one in pearl city today said i had 2 in lift..?
i dont think it does.
i was gonna pay some one to help , i was gonna go with F150 coils in the front,lift blocks and anti wrap bar for the rear, not sure yet, but doing it myself probably will pay some one to help.
after its lifted it need to be reconed, but i was told i need a permitt to go wheeling in certain spots?
Unread 05-09-2010, 05:51 AM   #14
brolivian

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscgjp View Post

Thanks!
when do you get on island and what branch? I've been stationed here a year, and just bought my first jeep today, i'm pretty stoked! there are some sketchy places in Wahiawa that will let many things slide, but everyone was right when they said if you value it, don't bring it. there are plenty of jeeps for sale. good luck here
brolivian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2010, 11:13 AM   #15
nerfburglar
1990 XJ Cherokee 

you can have a brand new jeep, if you take care of it and wash it, youll be fine.i had the same truck here for 3 years now, rust free when i brought it , still rust free.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.