Help on laws for lifted vehicles in Hawaii - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Hawaii Jeep Forum > Help on laws for lifted vehicles in Hawaii

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 06-11-2010, 08:39 PM   #1
sc_russ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Help on laws for lifted vehicles in Hawaii

I'm getting stationed on USCGC Jarvis in Honolulu Hawaii. Unfortunately I don't think my jeep will pass the vehicle safety inspection law. Does anyone know what all the vehicle safety check points are? Any help is greatly appreciated.

sc_russ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2010, 08:03 AM   #2
chad_33us
2006 LJ Wrangler 

If you find out let me know I am going to run into the same problem in about 2 weeks
chad_33us is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2010, 04:01 PM   #3
sc_russ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I did find some information and it was bad news for me, but I think you will be alright.
The maximum height for your bumpers are 29" unless your jeep weighs more than 4500lbs then its a maximum height is 33"
Your fender flares have to cover your tires.
You have to put mud flaps on.
You have to have an alignment done before the inspection and have the paper from the alignment shop.
All lights that didn't come on the jeep from the factory has to be removed.
Heres a link to the manual that has even more stuff PMVI Manual for Inspectors of Pass Cars & Light Trucks Aug 2005 — Hawaii Department of Transportation
Heres a link to a forum for jeepers out here Oahu Jeepers - Home There are a lot guys that are also in the military on there.
Good luck with yours.
Unread 07-27-2010, 08:51 PM   #4
JoshG
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Hey man, I am also in the USCG, on the Bertholf.

Are you registering your Jeep in Hawaii? If not why would you be required to pass the safety inspection? I had a truck registered in Alabama when I was PCS in Louisiana and California, I never had to do a smog check or any kind of safety inspection.
Unread 07-28-2010, 03:06 AM   #5
sc_russ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshG View Post
Hey man, I am also in the USCG, on the Bertholf.

Are you registering your Jeep in Hawaii? If not why would you be required to pass the safety inspection? I had a truck registered in Alabama when I was PCS in Louisiana and California, I never had to do a smog check or any kind of safety inspection.
That's what I planned on doing, but when I got here I found out that you have to register within 30 days after it gets here because its overseas. So I'm just going to buy another jeep out here.
Unread 08-04-2010, 07:53 PM   #6
gijoeyb
2010 JK Wrangler 

Ouch, no orders yet for HI but thanks for the info.
gijoeyb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2010, 05:00 PM   #7
sno
1999 WJ 

check out Ohana Trails - Ohana Trails!
sno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.