JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Hawaii Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f316/)
-   -   big island hawaii (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f316/big-island-hawaii-1031290/)

justaname 05-13-2010 01:08 AM

big island hawaii

Is anybody on here living on Hawaii? im stationed here with the coast guard and need to get some wheeling done soon!

-Zona- 05-13-2010 12:10 PM

See if you can gain entry to PTA in the middle of the island, there are probably some great trails around there (when the USAF and Army aren't busy blowing **** up)

justaname 05-14-2010 01:28 AM

will do thanks alot

RockWoRM 05-14-2010 11:37 AM

Just got back from vacation on the big island last week! :thumbsup: Saw a ton of YJ's! :banana: In fact, even talked to a fellow YJer in the parking lot at Wally World. Said he was on JF, but I already forgot his user name, or I'd pass it along. Sorry 'bout that. But there seems to be plenty of Jeep owners there. (not counting all the JK rentals of course, either! lol.)

WRM

justaname 05-15-2010 03:07 AM

ive noticed that. i also noticed that i dont get the jeep wave out here wtf

Neilj 06-12-2010 12:22 AM

Hilo YJ'er here (strange, also from San Luis county)! The big island doesn't have a whole lot of offroading (or dirt for that matter), but some good driving can be found around Southpoint to Green sands, Waipio Valley, and maybe up on Mauna Kea if you are careful not to drive off the designated roads. 90% of the jeeps on the island are rentals and only one company allows offroading (Harper's in Hilo). Unfortunately, you are now in "Toyota country" (highest Tacoma concentration and prices in nation).

ScoutsOut58D 06-22-2010 11:01 PM

Just got to Oahu two weeks ago have my 05 TJ here with me, really ready to go off the roads here, having problems getting the jeep registered and inspected though because of the tires and lift and stuff. Anyone have any advice on this matter?

-Zona- 06-23-2010 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScoutsOut58D (Post 9673140)
Just got to Oahu two weeks ago have my 05 TJ here with me, really ready to go off the roads here, having problems getting the jeep registered and inspected though because of the tires and lift and stuff. Anyone have any advice on this matter?

Find a shady shop in Wahiawa, ask around- odds are someone knows where one of them is. The one I went to was just off of California Ave.

chad_33us 07-24-2010 09:01 AM

Please fill me in too. I will be there in a couple weeks an the Jeep is on its way. I will have the same problems.

hawaiianZJ 08-29-2010 07:16 PM

im from the bigisland and there's a few places you could off road, if you like goin in mud you could go to mana road in waimea which pretty much takes you up to maunakea or country club on the hilo side. as of rock crawling pretty much just head to any beach and you could find somthing, some good spots would be like kohala coast or south point. even goin to waipio is pretty fun, driving in the rivers! id always drive thru mudlane rd in waimea on tha way to waipio its nothing extreme but just fun to get in tha mud sometimes...but like neilj said hawaii is a "toyota country" i my self was all about toyotas and never ever thought id get a jeep, until i moved here to lasvegas

uplandhawaii 09-21-2010 06:13 PM

I'm on the Big Island as well. We got a few guys and head out every couple of months. Times are a changing so hook up with the local wheelers and find out where is still open. I heard DLNR was up on Mana checking for illeagal offloading activities. CC is private and if someone rats you can fined for trespassing.

I'm a jeeper myself but we wheel with anybody interested in going out and having a good time. We also do a lot of wheeling/fishing trips if anybody is interested.

If you're going to Oahu hook up with our club OahuJeepers on the Big Island check out Bentframe 4X4.

Big aloha's to our visiting wheelers!

GeoffT 09-04-2011 04:55 AM

Bump, Just moved to the Island and bought a Jeep. Anyone want to do some wheeling or know of any clubs out here?

uplandhawaii 09-04-2011 10:57 AM

Aloha bro, are you on the Kona side? If you're on the Big Island pm me and we can hit up some easy shoreline trails either out your side or on the eastside.
If you're on the BI we have BentFrame 4X4 on Oahu there is OahuJeepers and Ohana Trails and on Maui Island Crawler Union. You should be able to google them all, all the guys are pretty cool so shoot'em an email.
Welcome to the islands bro!

GeoffT 09-04-2011 07:41 PM

PM sent. I'm in Kona.

uplandhawaii 09-04-2011 09:44 PM

Right on bro replied, hope to meet you soon!

The time now is 05:57 PM.