Miracle Ghost town - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North West USA > Idaho Jeep Forum > Miracle Ghost town

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 05-03-2014, 07:56 AM   #1
BaddAndy
2013 JK Wrangler 

Mineral Ghost town

We have a bunch of Jeeps doing a 9 day ID & MT Ghost town/Mine trip entering ID on Hwy 71 southbound. I've found all kinds of sites discribing all the places and routes for the places we want to go, but nothing that actually tells me the directions. Google/Bing hasn't helped and the FS sites are lacking for info. Miracle is one I'm not sure of how to get there. What road/trail from the preferred, for us, north end of 71 can we take to get there? If not, which way? BTW, we would prefer trails over roads. Also, is there an on-line trail map for 4x4s (non-ATV/DB) for ID/MT other than MUVM or IDSP Trails maps? Thanks

Unread 05-04-2014, 05:10 AM   #2
Turbineguy
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaddAndy View Post
We have a bunch of Jeeps doing a 9 day ID & MT Ghost town/Mine trip entering ID on Hwy 71 southbound. I've found all kinds of sites discribing all the places and routes for the places we want to go, but nothing that actually tells me the directions. Google/Bing hasn't helped and the FS sites are lacking for info. Miracle is one I'm not sure of how to get there. What road/trail from the preferred, for us, north end of 71 can we take to get there? If not, which way? BTW, we would prefer trails over roads. Also, is there an on-line trail map for 4x4s (non-ATV/DB) for ID/MT other than MUVM or IDSP Trails maps? Thanks
The Idaho Trails Website recently updated their system to allow you to download the kHz files for all of their trails. You can then load it into Google Earth or some other mapping program.

http://www.trails.idaho.gov/trails/

What you really want to do is head down to the Owyhee's and hit Silver City area (seriously awesome Jeeping there). Then from there, head north and hit the National Forest areas.
Turbineguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2014, 08:28 AM   #3
BaddAndy
2013 JK Wrangler 

Thanks, but that's the IDSP Trails map I was referring to. The trail map is cutoff to Miracle and I can't figure how to download to GPX file without buying a program.
We're not doing a Jeep trail trip, but a 3,000 mile Ghost town/Mine trip while hitting whatever Jeep trail that will take us to those places if any.
trip-snip.jpg  
Unread 05-04-2014, 09:08 AM   #4
Tumbleweed01
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Not sure of your dates planned but you won't get into some of those areas until after Memorial Day or later. Some places will be after July 4. If you have Virginia City or Nevada City Montana on your trip, prepared to be let down. They are just like Disney World and just want your $. Sign on the boardwalk at Virginia City general store in front of a rusty bucket full of nasty water and cigarette butts said "Dog Water-$2.00. Cancelled our nearby reservations and cut those two days out of our trip. The Bannack State Park is now open after their flood and is worthwhile. Bannack Days is July-third weekend if you can make it then. Silver city is not on your map but would be worth it. About 2 to 2.5 hours drive from Boise. Many old homes that are now weekend cabins, one gift shop, one hotel. Beautiful though. The Yellow Pine area and the Stignite mine are pretty areas. Not much to see for ruins anymore. The main mine is currently active with a huge outfit that has taken all the available campsites and lodging in the area. The town of Yellow Pine is a neat place to visit. Go walk through the old timers cemetery that is right on the river and about a mile south of town. There are some books from local authors available on the YP area history. Worthwhile reading, check at the general store. In town is an old Willys Wagon that is built onto a snowcat. It has a history from the 50-60's in that area.
Tumbleweed01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2014, 11:43 AM   #5
BaddAndy
2013 JK Wrangler 

End of Aug is the trip date which ensures all areas will be open unless bad weather deters some things this summer. The 9 day trip is a guys only, probable last get-together run as most everyone is in the Air Force with the unit deploying after, a retirement and PCSes pending. Lots of driving, dry camping, cooking, and alcohol consumption which we all have experience in. All places mentioned, but SS, are on the route planned. SS is just too far out of the way. We'll be pressed to hit all what I have marked to do in 7 days as it is.
Unread 05-04-2014, 08:06 PM   #6
Turbineguy
2012 JK Wrangler 

I can't find any info for location of a Miracle ghost town in Idaho. http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/id/idalpha.html I've also googled around. Do you have the gps coordinates for it? I have quite a few topo maps that I can check.
Unread 05-04-2014, 08:29 PM   #7
Turbineguy
2012 JK Wrangler 

The download link is here http://www.trails.idaho.gov/trails/kmzdownload.html

You have to download each file separately.

You can open the files using Google Earth which is free.

Here is a screenshot of Google Earth showing only the trails that Jeeps can drive (excluding ATV/UTV, Horse, and Motorcycle trails).

Here is a screenshot of a random area zoomed in with a topo overlay. As you can see, there are some 4wd trails on the top map that aren't registered on the Idaho Trails files.

Here is the same area, but with a satellite view. You can still actually see the trails.
Unread 05-04-2014, 09:33 PM   #8
BaddAndy
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbineguy View Post
I can't find any info for location of a Miracle ghost town in Idaho. http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/id/idalpha.html I've also googled around. Do you have the gps coordinates for it? I have quite a few topo maps that I can check.
Here's the coordinates; N 44.33.934, W 117.04.810.
I'll try GE tomorrow.
Unread 05-04-2014, 10:20 PM   #9
Turbineguy
2012 JK Wrangler 

Dude... figured it out. Its called Mineral City, not Miracle City.

You come at it from the East. The roads aren't shown on the Idaho Maps because its private land with an easement.

I mapped out the route from where the trail shown on the Idaho Trails website ends.

You can download this KML file. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ineralCity.kml

Note: Idaho trails are shown in yellow, the Mineral City trail is shown in Red.

Here is an image of the trail with topo map.

Here is an image of the trail with satellite view.

Here is a link describing the route.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=749054

Hope this helps.
Unread 05-04-2014, 10:30 PM   #10
Turbineguy
2012 JK Wrangler 

You can also take Rock Creek Road, and turn on the Mineral City Trail.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/44.5...m3!4m2!1m0!1m0

That link should work to show it in Google Maps.

And here is the route from Weiser, Id on Google Maps.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Weis...509976!1m0!3e0

Just noticed you want to get there from Hwy 71.

In that case, there is a trail that goes over Sturgill Peak, but its a wandering trail. Let me know if you want the KML file, and I can get it for you.
Unread 05-05-2014, 12:32 PM   #11
BaddAndy
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Dude... figured it out. Its called Mineral City, not Miracle City.
Duh me, fixed
Unread 05-05-2014, 03:41 PM   #12
jaspepp
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Did I see boulder city/boulder creek on there??? Looks like you're gonna be going right by it
Unread 05-05-2014, 09:18 PM   #13
BaddAndy
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaspepp View Post
Did I see boulder city/boulder creek on there??? Looks like you're gonna be going right by it
Between Galena and Ketchum, yes.
Unread 05-05-2014, 09:23 PM   #14
BaddAndy
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Just noticed you want to get there from Hwy 71.

In that case, there is a trail that goes over Sturgill Peak, but its a wandering trail. Let me know if you want the KML file, and I can get it for you.
Thanks for all your help, the pics of the routes really helps. GPX files would be better for my Mapsource. Never heard of KML until I found the IDSP trail map.
Unread 05-05-2014, 09:27 PM   #15
BaddAndy
2013 JK Wrangler 

This is a pic of my trip from last May. This is at the Reward Mine at Manzanar CA. Trailer won't go on this trip due to the difficulty of trails we're hitting from home. Softtop and halfdoors will be on it too. Still deciding on what rack/s and tent to make/get.
dscf4372.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.