Idaho - Page 52 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North West USA > Idaho Jeep Forum > Idaho

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 01-23-2009, 09:47 PM   #766
sinbad85
2001 WJ 

Hey Grizzly, you must be bored, you posted 3 in a row, Your welcome on the help, it was good to get out of the house. I thought the flares looked good when I left but I'm sure they are even better with the little tweaking you did on them. I picked up some steel at the yard today, started making some front hooks on the GC hopefully I do it right and they don't rip out the first pull I do.

sinbad85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2009, 10:24 PM   #767
Tumbleweed01
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Glad you got the spacers in, but you should have spoken up. Maybe next project. I am debating on when to start to rebuild my front axles. I have not done a knuckle type axle since an early flattie years ago, the Toy is similar though. I got all the seals and rebuild parts in this week. Also ordered a 2meter Ham radio-should be in next week. That will get installed asap.
Tumbleweed01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2009, 12:03 AM   #768
ChiliPalmer
This is Ames Mister...

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad85 View Post
Hey Grizzly, you must be bored, you posted 3 in a row, Your welcome on the help, it was good to get out of the house. I thought the flares looked good when I left but I'm sure they are even better with the little tweaking you did on them. I picked up some steel at the yard today, started making some front hooks on the GC hopefully I do it right and they don't rip out the first pull I do.
How'd your tow hooks go today? Sorry I couldn't have been of more help but I was onsite at a customers location in Clinton, MA - which is where I'll be all weekend...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbleweed01 View Post
Glad you got the spacers in, but you should have spoken up. Maybe next project. I am debating on when to start to rebuild my front axles. I have not done a knuckle type axle since an early flattie years ago, the Toy is similar though. I got all the seals and rebuild parts in this week. Also ordered a 2meter Ham radio-should be in next week. That will get installed asap.
Hey TW; let me know when you start that, I'd like to stop by and see how it all works - I'm a firm believer in "The more you know...". And congrats on your 2meter; that's one of those things on my bucket list - but it's more towards the bottom... P.s. And Griz definetly spoke up, if you go back a few pages you'll see that just about everyone in ID offered to help...(I did notice that you only offered to help AFTER he was done...)

Need a server? Buy this one!

COTM - October 2012!

If you want to help the sport of offroading visit the EnviroBeat Forum!

Blue Ribbon Coalition | Idaho State 4x4 Association | UFWDA | NAXJA | The KAT Team!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrows View Post
Oh man Chili. I feel like a recovering addict that just had a bag of blow, a bottle of Jameson, and a sack dropped in his lap. You screwed me man!
ChiliPalmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2009, 12:27 AM   #769
GrizzlyBear67
2010 JK Wrangler 

Board and coils....

Really, the coil thing turned out to be pretty simple afterall. Once again, I do appreciate the offers. Now the flares were a different story. I know I might have to relinquish my man card for saying this but I was actually pretty sore the next day. And Sinbad did most of the work!
GrizzlyBear67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2009, 01:29 AM   #770
ChiliPalmer
This is Ames Mister...

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzlyBear67 View Post
Really, the coil thing turned out to be pretty simple afterall. Once again, I do appreciate the offers. Now the flares were a different story. I know I might have to relinquish my man card for saying this but I was actually pretty sore the next day. And Sinbad did most of the work!
Sucks getting old doesn't it...

COTM - October 2012!

Blue Ribbon Coalition | Idaho State 4x4 Association | UFWDA | NAXJA | The KAT Team!

Quote:
Oh man Chili. I feel like a recovering addict that just had a bag of blow, a bottle of Jameson, and a sack dropped in his lap. You screwed me man!
Unread 01-24-2009, 01:32 AM   #771
ChiliPalmer
This is Ames Mister...

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Don't really have much to say about this except you need to sign this...

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/S...SpecificPlan?e

COTM - October 2012!

Quote:
Unread 01-24-2009, 11:16 AM   #772
Tumbleweed01
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Chili- after he was done???

"I haven't bought the 1 inch spacers yet. It won't take them too long to get in, I'll order them tomorrow. Sinbad-I would love to borrow/rent those compressors from you and then set up a time with Chili and Tumbleweed, I'll bring a pizza and we can knock those bad boys out."

Chili, the birfield axles are not too bad, just really messy. They use about 10 times more grease than the unibearing setups. I have not decided yet if I am going to "cheat" and split the felts and rubber wipers so I do not have to pull the knuckle balls off and apart. That is the worst part, setting those trunion bearings. Cleaning off the crud is going to take the longest time. Not sure if my seal puller will get the inner axle seal out-might have to make one.

Unread 01-24-2009, 12:40 PM   #773
Broam17
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulb208 View Post
Broam17 - thanks for the info. Finding a quality mechanic that charges a fair price and stands behind his work can be difficult. Where is his shop located?
Hey Paul its in Nampa

Elliott's Auto Repair

416 44th Street Nampa Id 83687 Foreign & Domestic

John Elliott: Owner 208-713-5627
Broam17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2009, 03:03 PM   #774
ChiliPalmer
This is Ames Mister...

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbleweed01 View Post
Chili- after he was done???

"I haven't bought the 1 inch spacers yet. It won't take them too long to get in, I'll order them tomorrow. Sinbad-I would love to borrow/rent those compressors from you and then set up a time with Chili and Tumbleweed, I'll bring a pizza and we can knock those bad boys out."

Chili, the birfield axles are not too bad, just really messy. They use about 10 times more grease than the unibearing setups. I have not decided yet if I am going to "cheat" and split the felts and rubber wipers so I do not have to pull the knuckle balls off and apart. That is the worst part, setting those trunion bearings. Cleaning off the crud is going to take the longest time. Not sure if my seal puller will get the inner axle seal out-might have to make one.

COTM - October 2012!

Quote:
Unread 01-24-2009, 11:06 PM   #775
sinbad85
2001 WJ 

[QUOTE=ChiliPalmer;6421733]How'd your tow hooks go today? Sorry I couldn't have been of more help but I was onsite at a customers location in Clinton, MA - which is where I'll be all weekend...

Chili, I made the brackets today, I found a 4" x1/4 flat steel for in the frame then used another 4x 8 under that all 1/4". I used the 4 existing bolt holes along with one hole back farther that had the nut welded on. I put a angle iron under that for strength for the bend upward, so I have like 3/4" along with the subframe to pull from, I don't thing it will go anywhere, The hooks fit right out front with no cutting of the bumper. can't see any brackets either.
Have a safe trip home
Unread 01-25-2009, 12:27 AM   #776
ChiliPalmer
This is Ames Mister...

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Cool; glad to hear it turned out ok. Not sure if I said this when you were there but now that I've thought about it the reason I used 2 pieces (then angle and flat bar) was simply to move the tow hook down a little bit so I didn't have to trim the bumper for them to fit (now that I've typed it out I do remember saying it when you were there.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad85 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiliPalmer View Post
How'd your tow hooks go today? Sorry I couldn't have been of more help but I was onsite at a customers location in Clinton, MA - which is where I'll be all weekend...

Chili, I made the brackets today, I found a 4" x1/4 flat steel for in the frame then used another 4x 8 under that all 1/4". I used the 4 existing bolt holes along with one hole back farther that had the nut welded on. I put a angle iron under that for strength for the bend upward, so I have like 3/4" along with the subframe to pull from, I don't thing it will go anywhere, The hooks fit right out front with no cutting of the bumper. can't see any brackets either.
Have a safe trip home

COTM - October 2012!

Quote:
Unread 01-25-2009, 07:50 PM   #777
Tumbleweed01
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Well, tore into one front axle today. 6 hours later got it almost wrapped up. At some time the birfields tore the heck out of the inner axle tubes and knuckle. Had to do alot of machine work (filing) to get the new seal in. In the process ruined the other seal I had for the other side. Now have to order another one. I know better than to think it would go smooth and easy but did not expect this much of a pita.
Tumbleweed01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2009, 10:45 PM   #778
Broam17
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Hey everybody! So i need opinions from everyone anyone. Im torn wether or not to tear out my carpet out. Its not my daily driver but i do take it out when it snows. So just wanted to know what people thought.
Broam17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2009, 11:08 PM   #779
sinbad85
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broam17 View Post
Hey everybody! So i need opinions from everyone anyone. Im torn wether or not to tear out my carpet out. Its not my daily driver but i do take it out when it snows. So just wanted to know what people thought.

I would say no, its going to rattle alot, and I think it will be colder inside. youll regret it on the drives out to where you wheel.
Unread 01-27-2009, 02:28 AM   #780
ChiliPalmer
This is Ames Mister...

1992 XJ Cherokee 

I'm personally a fan of carpet but that being said I don't, and never will, have carpet in my XJ. It will eventually be covered in Line-X (or similar product) to keep the noise to a minimum. If you search jpmagazine.com they have a pretty good article on keeping an M715 cool in the summer by using a roll on bedliner and some self sticking insulated material. That's ultimately what I'd like to do.

If the carpet is in good shape I say leave it in for now; if/when it starts to stink then yank it out...

COTM - October 2012!

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.