Idaho - Page 349 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North West USA > Idaho Jeep Forum > Idaho

Steering and more from Ruffstuff!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Jeep LED Light Lights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955

Unread 05-05-2013, 01:51 PM   #5221
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

On a side note, I was just browsing through the rest of the Idaho threads. It seems to me that finding good places to wheel around here is difficult. If you look at other areas/locations, their threads are super active, all the best places to wheel are consolidated in an easy to find place with maps, pics, info, etc. Why is SW Idaho lacking so bad?

I haven't been able to find a single web site that lists all the wheeling spots around here, much less one with maps, descriptions, and all that. What gives?

I may be heading to the Nampa area later today. Is there anywhere to wheel around there? I'd like to get out and stretch today a bit.
Cheers

Sparrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2013, 06:13 PM   #5222
Brainwashed2566
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Owyhees south of Murphy towards silver city is a good spot.
Brainwashed2566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2013, 06:43 PM   #5223
Tumbleweed01
2006 LJ Wrangler 

You won't find a list of trails around here. As to why, not sure I can answer that one in an understandable way. I have been a member of IOR for 17 years, HDOR for 11 years, WWOR for 8 years and am a founding member of both HDOR, and WWOR, and the Idaho State 4x4 Association. Also involved in clubs with mud racers, and rally racing.
98% of the trails in SW Idaho were developed and nurtured by the local members of the 4x4 clubs. They have fought with BLM, state agencies, and the Forest Service, and other politics to preserve the right to keep these trails open. The clubs are reluctant to advertise the trails to the general public as they want to have a tiny bit of control over the trails. When the trails get torn up by irresponsible folks, the clubs shoulder the blame mostly, and have to repair the damages-both physical and mental. Or when the media blows something out of proportion, the damage is done in the publics opinion. The club's generally are very happy to share the trail information with anyone who will step in and take an active supportive role to the trials and 4x4 community. Bottom line is, you go prove yourself to be responsible and interested enough to be active in a club; you will learn the trails.
Clubs are not for everyone though, and I know this. That makes it hard to share the enthusiasm. I don't always agree with the club's viewpoints and policies. However, I believe that they are worthy of supporting with my membership even if I am not as active as I once was. Every club has there quirks and personalities, both good and bad. I can only hope that the newer members to the community can check out some or all of the clubs and decide for themselves if they will fit in or not. Right now, my only vehicle is a 4x4 pickup that really only qualifies for expedition status. I have has 19 Jeeps over the years, and may have more or may not. Few other brands, too. I am turning 60 this year, my health is questionable at best, and I just don't know how much more active I will be able to be.
I know I did not answer your questions well, but hope I gave some insight as to the why's. Feel free to contact me if I can help in some way.
Tumbleweed01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2013, 07:13 PM   #5224
Tumbleweed01
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Trail wise, the Owyhees is a huge area with alot of legal wheeling places.
Go south of Nampa to Pickle Butte area, or past Dan;s Ferry and turn right on Reynolds Creek road. Many trails off that road just beyond Hemmingway Butte. Succor creek is great, anywhere leading to and around Silver City.
Fossil Butte south of Murphy. Initial Point is close to Kuna, on the way to Swan Falls Dam. The desert south of the prison off Pleasant Valley Rd, before the military ranges. Danskin Mtn between Boise and Mtn Home.
Unread 05-05-2013, 07:38 PM   #5225
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thank you so much tumbleweed. That does make sense to me and I do understand. However it seems that sw idaho is one of the only regions in which the clubs have such a strangle hold on the information.

That said, I would love to join a club. I've been trying to hook up with IOR for four months now. I filled out the online application, sent emails, and even drove all the way out to meridian last week to try and make the Thursday meeting. I arrived at 7pm but nobody was there. I'm honestly a little bit frustrated at this point since joint a club has proven to be difficult and finding places to wheel is also proving quite the task.

Is there someone I could call directly to chat about joining? I have two good friends also interested as well.

Thanks again.

Cheers
Sparrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2013, 09:07 PM   #5226
Brainwashed2566
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrows View Post
Thank you so much tumbleweed. That does make sense to me and I do understand. However it seems that sw idaho is one of the only regions in which the clubs have such a strangle hold on the information.

That said, I would love to join a club. I've been trying to hook up with IOR for four months now. I filled out the online application, sent emails, and even drove all the way out to meridian last week to try and make the Thursday meeting. I arrived at 7pm but nobody was there. I'm honestly a little bit frustrated at this point since joint a club has proven to be difficult and finding places to wheel is also proving quite the task.

Is there someone I could call directly to chat about joining? I have two good friends also interested as well.

Thanks again.

Cheers
I'm not in any of the clubs but it seems that the events are more active member wise. Most are open to non-members for IOR.
Brainwashed2566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2013, 09:19 PM   #5227
wjidaho
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbleweed01
Trail wise, the Owyhees is a huge area with alot of legal wheeling places.
Go south of Nampa to Pickle Butte area, or past Dan;s Ferry and turn right on Reynolds Creek road. Many trails off that road just beyond Hemmingway Butte. Succor creek is great, anywhere leading to and around Silver City.
Fossil Butte south of Murphy. Initial Point is close to Kuna, on the way to Swan Falls Dam. The desert south of the prison off Pleasant Valley Rd, before the military ranges. Danskin Mtn between Boise and Mtn Home.
I have wheeled all those places. Love out on the danskin mtns

My build thread
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/wjidahos-expedition-build-1904282/[/url]
wjidaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2013, 09:22 PM   #5228
Cwest22
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjidaho

I have wheeled all those places. Love out on the danskin mtns
Are the danskins pretty stock friendly I'm out In mtn home would like to check them out
Unread 05-05-2013, 09:29 PM   #5229
wjidaho
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwest22

Are the danskins pretty stock friendly I'm out In mtn home would like to check them out
Depends I go up towards the south fork and wheel up around their, a lot of cool trails,the off road park is more for atvs and dirt bikes their is a lot of cool trails use to ride dirt bikes out their

My build thread
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/wjidahos-expedition-build-1904282/[/url]
Unread 05-05-2013, 09:35 PM   #5230
Cwest22
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Depends I go up towards the south fork and wheel up around their, a lot of cool trails,the off road park is more for atvs and dirt bikes their is a lot of cool trails use to ride dirt bikes out their
Might just have to go for a expedition next weekend
Unread 05-05-2013, 10:43 PM   #5231
wjidaho
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwest22

Might just have to go for a expedition next weekend
Now that's one I might have to go :-) how far you want to take it all the way to the gate, I pretty sure it's not unlocked lol:-)

My build thread
Unread 05-05-2013, 11:56 PM   #5232
Cwest22
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Now that's one I might have to go :-) how far you want to take it all the way to the gate, I pretty sure it's not unlocked lol:-)
If all works out and I can wheel next weekend ill go as far as my jeep will take me. 👍
Unread 05-06-2013, 05:39 AM   #5233
Tumbleweed01
2006 LJ Wrangler 

The IOR club meeting is held on the second Thursday of each month. If you went last week, you had the wrong date. The next meeting is May 9, this coming Thursday at 1900.
95% of all clubs events are open to the public, and those events are a great way to learn trails, make connections, etc.

A little secret info about Danskin. When you get to the top of the hill above the flatlands, look for a tree all by its lonesome on the left-about 200 yards from the road. In that tree is a hay sycle that was put in the fork of the tree many years ago and the tree grew around it. At the Case Creek trail head, there is a tiny pond full of cattails. During season it is a great spot for bluegill and crappie.
Unread 05-06-2013, 06:15 AM   #5234
sinbad85
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbleweed01 View Post
The IOR club meeting is held on the second Thursday of each month. If you went last week, you had the wrong date. The next meeting is May 9, this coming Thursday at 1900.
95% of all clubs events are open to the public, and those events are a great way to learn trails, make connections, etc.

A little secret info about Danskin. When you get to the top of the hill above the flatlands, look for a tree all by its lonesome on the left-about 200 yards from the road. In that tree is a hay sycle that was put in the fork of the tree many years ago and the tree grew around it. At the Case Creek trail head, there is a tiny pond full of cattails. During season it is a great spot for bluegill and crappie.
Don you are a wealth of knowledge!!! Hope your back is feeling better, I'm going to have to swing by some day to chat.
2001 WJ 4.7L-selec-trac/4.5" Teraflex springs\IRO Long arms\Iro adj rear LCA/Bilstien 5100 series shocks/ IRO steering Equalizer/|265/75/16 Goodyear Dura-Tracs on Stock rims\Rear Tube Bumper with carrier|sliders|mopar skids.
sinbad85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 07:40 AM   #5235
cochise12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzlyBear67
This road is in great shape, very nice scenery, highly recommended.

Left Meridian at 9am, got back around 6pm. Approximately 300 miles and 9hrs total round trip. Could have easily done the whole thing on one tank with gas to spare.

Dan's Ferry to Jordan Valley, OR: Approx. 145 miles.

One other rig made it (thanks Chris T.) which allowed for a lot quicker pace when needed. Probably not the run you want to do with a larger group unless you want to stop somewhere and camp. We aired down to 20 psi which seemed to be perfect since the road was in really good shape.

Wildlife: Raptors everywhere, a few mountain bluebirds and some pronghorn near Grandview. We've lived in Idaho almost seven years and that's the first time we've seen the state bird that all the seasoned citizens and ladies have on their license plates.

Unfortunately, I still can't upload pictures straight from my computer to the forum for some reason. Tried 3 times unsuccessful. I've performed this action many times before on other forums, not sure why I'm having trouble here. If you would like some photos, pm with your email. That's it, had a great day!
Thanks Tom! It was a great trip! I highly recommend it too. There's a lot of exploring that can be done out there...tons of roads that split off of the main road. I know I'm going back!
cochise12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.