4x4 Roads in Challis or Stanley Area - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North West USA > Idaho Jeep Forum > 4x4 Roads in Challis or Stanley Area

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 01-26-2010, 05:36 AM   #1
brjeep
2004 TJ Wrangler 

4x4 Roads in Challis or Stanley Area

I'll be vacationing in the Challis and Stanley area this August. Hoping to attend the Braun Family Reunion again - went last year and had a great time.

Wondering about 4x4 roads in the area. Looks like lots of public land - national forests, etc. I don't need anything extreme. I'm more interested in scenic drives than body damage...

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks!

Unread 02-03-2010, 09:45 AM   #2
McKBrew
JK Wrangler 

Not familiar with the area, but familiar with forest service roads. Check with the local ranger stations to get maps of the area and recommendations. Or just grab a Forest map and explore on your own.
McKBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2010, 09:28 PM   #3
zjzach
1993 ZJ 

Ive never heard of either of those towns and Ive lived in WA my whole life. Did you mean Chehalis? I tried a search on google maps and it didn't have any results for Challis or Stanley
Unread 02-04-2010, 06:07 AM   #4
Tumbleweed01
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Lots of FS roads, all drop dead gorgeous scenery. Boulder/ White Clouds area may or may not still be open for access. Great trout fishing and plenty of mosquitoes.
Tumbleweed01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2010, 09:19 AM   #5
McKBrew
JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjzach View Post
Ive never heard of either of those towns and Ive lived in WA my whole life. Did you mean Chehalis? I tried a search on google maps and it didn't have any results for Challis or Stanley
Nope. It's in Idaho. I had to google it too.

Right in the middle of a bunch of National Forests.
Unread 02-04-2010, 02:58 PM   #6
zjzach
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKBrew View Post
Nope. It's in Idaho. I had to google it too.

Right in the middle of a bunch of National Forests.
gotcha, I forgot this was the whole NW and not just WA for a second
Unread 02-08-2010, 08:12 AM   #7
brjeep
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Wow,

I had given up on this thread. Thanks for the replies. I'll check out the forest roads. Anybody know an internet link for forest service maps.

If you've never been to Stanley, I highly recommend it. The sawtooth mountains are worth it - especially if you live in Wa. This will be my first chance to explore off-road.

I also recommend the Braun Family Reunion (it's a music festival; google it).

Thanks again.
Unread 02-08-2010, 10:12 AM   #8
McKBrew
JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brjeep View Post
Wow,

I had given up on this thread. Thanks for the replies. I'll check out the forest roads. Anybody know an internet link for forest service maps.

If you've never been to Stanley, I highly recommend it. The sawtooth mountains are worth it - especially if you live in Wa. This will be my first chance to explore off-road.

I also recommend the Braun Family Reunion (it's a music festival; google it).

Thanks again.
Check out the link for that forest. You can order maps online. Additionally if you are sticking in one area of the forest you might look at stopping into the nearest ranger station. They usually have locally generated maps that show more roads than the big overall forest map.

Sawtooth National Forest - Welcome!
Unread 04-23-2010, 11:00 PM   #9
ChiliPepperXJ
2006 WK 

Hey,
There is a real nice forest road in the Boulder White Clouds. It heads up to an elevation around 11,000 ft, and you can view Castle Peak, which is pretty difficult to view to by any roads. Did this about 3 years ago, the road is pretty rough, but definitely doable. I would recommend it. It is called railroad ridge, and is around the Livingston mine. I have directions and might have some pictures, I can take a look for them.

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport
1992 Jeep Cherokee Laredo
ChiliPepperXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2010, 05:21 AM   #10
brjeep
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'd love to have the directions.
Unread 04-25-2010, 04:24 PM   #11
ChiliPepperXJ
2006 WK 

After some looking around, I found some pictures of that trip. It seemed only a few years ago, but actually was in '05 =]. Here are a few:

As far as the directions, if you are coming from Stanley...Follow these:
1. Turn LEFT onto ID-75/NF-26 towards Challis. Follow for 37.5 mi.
2. Turn RIGHT onto E FORK RD. Follow for 17.7 mi.
3. Turn RIGHT onto BIG BOULDER CREEK RD (FS road 667). Follow 4.5 mi.
4. Will Reach Livingston Mine Mill. FS Road 667 will take off up to your right and follow the ridge West.
5. Following the ridge (FS road 667), will fork, take the right road to gain elevation.

The country is extremely breathtaking. If you are into gps and coordinates, the coordinates at the bottom of FS road 667 by the Livingston Mine Mill are 44.132441N 114.521592W

Hope all this helps!

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport
Unread 04-25-2010, 05:02 PM   #12
MoparFreak69
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I LOVE that area! Grew up camping around Stanley my entire childhood. There are plenty of trails all over the place ranging from hiking only through wilderness to driving trails like Bmapes mentioned above. The local ranger station is definately the place to get very detailed info about what trails are open and to what kind of traffic they are open for at that time. If it is a dry year (which it may turn out to be) they do have a tendency to close off some of the trails that lead through dry grassy meadows to vehicles to avoid the possibility of fire. There is a ranger station just south of Stanley and I believe there is also one right outside of it eastward as you follow the river heading toward Sun Valley. Even just sticking on paved roads makes for a very beautiful and scenic drive!
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE follow all signs and warnings. I all too often see people driving in wilderness area (area that is forbidden to anything but footed travel) and wind up getting trails closed for everyone because of it. Trash is another big one on my list. Pack it in, pack it right back out with you. Take all the memories and photos you want, but I believe its best to leave everything else where it was.
If you make it up this way this summer HAVE FUN!
[SIZE="5"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/myj-build-2-years-ago-today-1197236"]MYj Build[/URL][/SIZE]
MoparFreak69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2010, 05:55 PM   #13
ChiliPepperXJ
2006 WK 

Its an amazing area, LOVE spending time up there! As MoparFreak69 said, tread lightly and leave no sign that you were there and people will be able to enjoy many memorable sights like these for time to come! I made this trip in '05, and it will be something I will never forget!

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport
Unread 04-25-2010, 06:14 PM   #14
McKBrew
JK Wrangler 

Beautiful photos. Thanks for sharing.
Unread 04-25-2010, 06:56 PM   #15
BrettDez
2012 JK Wrangler 

I'll have to make a run up there as soon as I can.

EDIT: Nevermind, I just realized that's in Idaho, lol. Too far of a drive for me. Still amazing photos though!
"The Smurf": --Pic 1-- --Pic 2-- --Pic 3-- --Pic 4--
Previous Jeeps: --2007 Jeep Wrangler JK Rubicon-- --2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ Rubicon-- --1987 Jeep Wrangler YJ--
BrettDez is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.