Winter Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North West USA > Oregon Jeep Forum > Winter Question

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 11-16-2011, 01:48 AM   #1
Duck Vader
Yep...

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Winter Question

Sadly I will be getting rid of the WJ soon so I am in the market for a new car. (Will still have the XJ and will buy a TJ in a couple years)

I have been looking at FWD, AWD, and RWD cars, but my question is how "bad" do the winters really get out here in the Portland area? Some of the cars on the top of my list are RWD muscle cars.

My first car was a 96 Chevy pick-up with the 5.7 and RWD living in Ohio where we would get the lake affect snow so I know how to drive RWD in the snow, but I hear that there is more ice and slick wet roads out here instead of snow.

Will RWD with winter tires and careful driving be OK for out here?

Whatever car I get will have to be my DD so I need something that I can trust year round.

Unread 11-16-2011, 09:23 AM   #2
Shewoolf
2005 TJ Wrangler 

It is mostly wet and windy. With a bit of ice and snow tossed in just to mix it up a bit. If you live above 500 ft you will see more snow and ice, and living out by the gorge you will see even more in some years. But over all if you don't mind using public transportation once or twice a year or chaining up maybe 1 time every 3 years any type of car will be fine LOL
Shewoolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2011, 09:25 AM   #3
Shewoolf
2005 TJ Wrangler 

OH and your biggest issue wtih be dealing with idiots that can't drive in the Snow. For some reason NW Oregonians can't drive in the it to save their lives! uGGGG
Unread 11-16-2011, 09:31 AM   #4
Noplainsdrifter
1974 CJ5 

^^^^^This^^^^

It's not too bad here, just look out for the other drivers!
Unread 11-16-2011, 09:37 AM   #5
Duck Vader
Yep...

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shewoolf View Post
OH and your biggest issue wtih be dealing with idiots that can't drive in the Snow. For some reason NW Oregonians can't drive in the it to save their lives! uGGGG
Had that issue when I lived in Madison, WI. Lot of foreigners and college students who weren't used to winter lived there. It was amazing the amount of people who couldn't handle 1/2" let alone when we would get 7"+. It was nothing to have snow on the ground/roads for months straight but they still couldn't drive.

So I should be fine if I get winter tires and/or chains if I pick up a 2012 Mustang GT or something like that as long as I watch for other people?
Unread 11-16-2011, 10:35 AM   #6
Shewoolf
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Don't forget a lot of your sportier model cars can't use chains not enough clearance. so check the owners manual before you buy
Unread 11-16-2011, 11:09 AM   #7
Corcor4
1990 XJ Cherokee 

if this car is just going to be in the portland area, just a commuter, it doesn't matter. RWD would be sh*tty in the snow but if you still have an xj you'd be fine. FWD once you put snow tires on, can make it through the snow.. so unless your worried about the few days a year it's snowy in portland i wouldn't let any of them matter. Get the car u want
Corcor4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2011, 10:32 PM   #8
marksman1941
1989 XJ Cherokee 

We have the same issue with stupid drivers down here too. I don't know if it's an Oregon thing or what. Actually, probably just Oregon city dwellers, lol. I know when I was in high school, the school shut down a few times when we got 2-3 inches of snow. It was pretty sad. But, I'm kind of in the same boat as you are. I just sold the cherokee and bought a 96 civic, and an realizing that the assurance I had in my Jeep is gone. I know the civic is fwd which helps, but it just ain't the same, you know?
Unread 11-16-2011, 11:03 PM   #9
Shewoolf
2005 TJ Wrangler 

"If women can have a closet full of shoes, I can have a safe full of guns."

Umm but I have both!
Unread 11-17-2011, 09:51 AM   #10
marksman1941
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shewoolf View Post
"If women can have a closet full of shoes, I can have a safe full of guns."

Umm but I have both!
Well I suppose there's nothing to complain about! Lol, if only all other women could be as sage as you.
Unread 11-17-2011, 10:46 AM   #11
Duck Vader
Yep...

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksman1941 View Post
I know when I was in high school, the school shut down a few times when we got 2-3 inches of snow.

Where I grew up we could have 15 inches and nothing would shut down. Only time anything would close would be if there was too much ice. I made it to school everyday in my RWD truck with bald tires and never had an issue.
Unread 11-17-2011, 12:52 PM   #12
Corcor4
1990 XJ Cherokee 

hahah last year school was shut down cuz we had patches of ice on the road and by 10am it was dry roads!
Corcor4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2011, 06:51 PM   #13
Shewoolf
2005 TJ Wrangler 

^^^Yep^^^^ people freak in the Valley/Metro area. We get a dusting of snow and everything shuts down. It's really amazing. I have lived in the Valley or Metro area my whole life and can't figure it out LOL
Unread 11-18-2011, 09:20 AM   #14
marksman1941
1989 XJ Cherokee 

One reason my school was quick to shut things down is that we had people coming from all over the place. Some came over the pass from california, some were coming down off mt ashland, places like that. A couple inches at the school meant 4 feet for them. When it got to where half of the school wasn't going to show because they couldnt get out of their driveways, they just shut things down. The public schools in Eagle Point run buses up into the hills, which gives the same effect. When half the buses can't make their routes, they just shut the school down.

Course, none of that explains why everyone tweaks out about an inch of snow and loses all ability to drive, lol.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.