Wheelin spots in Oregon - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North West USA > Oregon Jeep Forum > Wheelin spots in Oregon

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!The Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!

Unread 02-14-2010, 08:48 PM   #1
Max713
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Wheelin spots in Oregon

I live in Albany during the week for school, and in Sisters on weekends with my family.
I've exhausted most wheeling spot's in the Sister's area, and I'm looking for something new. This summer, I'm planning to make a trip through Fort Rock, and down to Frenchglen(sp?). I love the desert, but I'm looking for anywhere new. I'm not really in to mud, and I'd REALLY like to see some rocks. Post up watcha got!

Locally:
Barr Rd/McKenzie Hwy
Buckhorn Riding Area

The black butte area, and surrounding cinder pits

Max713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2010, 05:26 AM   #2
Dabbill
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Browns camp off HWY 6 between banks and tillamook.
Dabbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2010, 02:45 AM   #3
Alkaline
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Browns camp is pretty fun, except on weekends when it is littered with full size redneck trucks that can't turn, Sami's that can't hack it, yuppy H2/H3 owners who are clueless but want to look cool, and hundreds of outta control dirtbikes and quads that go dangerously too fast around blind corners...

In my experience it's best to head up on a weekday if i have a chance. I see a higher percentage of jeep folks who think the same way I do too, and t's a whole lot more friendly.

Trask Mtn near Yamhill/Mcminnvill/Gaston is one of my favories because most people don't know where all the good trails are at. You could end up finding a treasure of an old skidder trail thats never seen a vehicle on it. Plus it's diverse with mud, hillclimbs, trails, water crossings, and rocks. Something for everyone at any skill and vehicle level.
Alkaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2010, 03:15 PM   #4
plazma
1989 XJ Cherokee 

i usually go trail running out above gates and lyons towards the south, there are a mass amounts of trails out there and there are a lot of good rocks and such we took a tj, my roomates toyota and my other roomates k10 out there and we had a lot of fun.
plazma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2010, 09:32 PM   #5
LiveT
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Anybody know anything closer (Then Browns Camp) to the SE Portland Area?
Unread 03-09-2010, 10:32 PM   #6
NW99XJ
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I'm lookin for some spots too. I live out in Gresham, and it'd be nice to find a little spot even its just a small hole or short trail. I hear there's some big rock stuff out towards the Dalles down I-84, just dont know where.
NW99XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 09:36 PM   #7
ELEVATIONOFFRD
1988 YJ Wrangler 

goat mtn out of estacada
ELEVATIONOFFRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2010, 12:41 PM   #8
Racincowboy
1999 TJ Wrangler 

My club has been working on getting legal trails opened up in the Yacolt burn area north of Camas Wa and east of Vancouver and Battleground. THERE ARE NO LEGAL TRAILS UP THERE YET so please stay on gravel roads only if you are up there.

We have around 10,000 volunteer hours wrapped up in this process. We are just waiting on the SEPA study to be completed which should be hopefully around the mid to end of april. Working with the government they are on their own time schedule.

If you want to keep up to date on what is going on with the project or would like to help build trails when the time arrives go to www.pistonswild.com and click on the forum tab. It is free to register and will keep you in the loop as to what is going on up there.

If you know of anyone going up there wheeling please ask them to stay on the service roads only. We have over 3 years in this project and want to see it through for a cool place for everyone to play on close to Portland/Vancouver area. Be aware law enforcement is up there constantly and is writing tickets no warnings for people wheeling where they are not suppose to.

If you have any questions or concerns feel free to pm me and we can talk.

Lance

Check us out at WWW.Pistonswild.com
Racincowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2010, 01:42 PM   #9
T-WOLF2010
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Anyone know of anything closer to portland than browns camp? I feel like there has to be something.
T-WOLF2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2010, 02:46 PM   #10
NW99XJ
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robanddee2 View Post
goat mtn out of estacada
c'mon, it was the post before last. Estacada is alot closer to Portland than the Tillamook State Forest (Browns Camp)
Unread 03-13-2010, 10:25 PM   #11
NW99XJ
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Found a little spot just out past Gresham, off of Palmquist Rd. No gate, and a "blink-you-miss-it" turn into it. Lots of brush piles, and a ton of dirt, well mud actually. And SOFT mud at that. Just a little spot to go get your tires dirty, and have a little fun. Nothin special but if we're all smart about it, we can keep this nice little local spot open.
<--- make sure to hit the "satellite" button to see it better!

Now.... speaking of "being smart" ..... i decided to go test the integrity of the overly soft mud, here, without my lift installed yet, and no mud terrains. Found myself in (more like on) a rut, a tad bit high centered. Talk about a rookie move. Cant tell you how stupid I felt. Anyhow, took a while to get out but figured I share my momentary lack of judgment with you all.
(note the girlfriend "cheesing" for the photo op)

Unread 03-14-2010, 05:38 PM   #12
LiveT
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Ive seen That place, It used to have trees all around it. People used to get stuck in there and the cops would come give tickets. Ive never gone in there for that reason. Good thing nobody saw you in there
Unread 03-14-2010, 06:13 PM   #13
NW99XJ
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Funny thing is, there's no signage that says "no trespassing", or "keep out", or "private property" or anything like that. So that might be an easy way out of a ticket, IF it came to that point. I imagine all the trees are down, cause they're about to develop that chunk of land or something. And if you get back there far enough, you cant be seen by the road. Anyways, thanks for the heads up though regardless.
Unread 03-14-2010, 09:58 PM   #14
LiveT
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Well in that case i may have to see if i can make it through that little hole then
Unread 03-14-2010, 11:43 PM   #15
T-WOLF2010
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I had read about that spot somewhere on here. i may have to scope it out at some odd hour so im less likely to get caught maybe early one morning this week.
T-WOLF2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.