What GPS are you using in the TSF? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North West USA > Oregon Jeep Forum > What GPS are you using in the TSF?

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 05-24-2012, 04:37 PM   #1
NW99XJ
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

What GPS are you using in the TSF?

So i'm on the hunt for a GPS unit that will work well while up in the trails in the TSF.
  • What are you using?
  • What do you like/dont like about it?
  • Is there any maps to download of the trail system up there?

My budget is limited, but i'm open to any and all suggestions. I've even considered this app for the android called OruxMaps... http://www.oruxmaps.com/index_en.html ....but I have a limited data package - so not sure how that would work. GPS/Geocaching/waypoint tracking and all that stuff is kind of new to me, i've never owned a GPS unit before, so any help/advice is appreciated -Thanks in advance!

NW99XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2012, 06:10 PM   #2
IslandTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Location: where I wheel: N 45║ 36.663' W 123║ 20.935', Oregon
I used to use a Garmin eTrex but would often lose a satellite signal while under heavy tree canopy.

I saved and upgraded to what a lot of search and rescue volunteers use - the Garmin 60csx. I have not lost a signal in TSF while using this unit . Very portable, many hiking enthusiasts use the 60csx as well. I bought the mapsource city navigator map and use it for street navigation. The device has an altimeter and compass - which I sometimes use while going on a rare hike. I also like that it takes regular or rechargeable AA batteries.

My Garmin has gotten wet and has almost fallen out of the Jeep (before I purchased my Rhino mount) - takes a beating but still remains functional .

The downside - cost .
1998 TJ Moss [COLOR=darkgreen][B][SIZE=3]Green[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR] Sahara w/ numerous scratches & dents whose playground is on a tropical island that's 33 miles long and 4-12 miles wide, in year-round 82 degree weather.

[Edit] "Now jeepin in Oregon" [/Edit]
IslandTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2012, 11:55 AM   #3
MCObray

If your not worried about your data limiting package, check out GAIA GPS app. on your phone. I've got it on my iPhone and has worked like a charm.
Unread 05-25-2012, 01:31 PM   #4
matzilla2u
1986 CJ7 

I use backcountry navigator pro. It is a GPS app for android. App cost 10 bucks, or maybe 20. I don't remember. But you can download all the USGS topo maps for free. After downloading the maps the phone will use them when it doesn't have servuce. I have used it a few times with no issues. Saved tracks and waypoints. Gives lots of information. I would recommend it to anyone.
matzilla2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2012, 09:20 AM   #5
Oregonwolf
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I went with the Garmin Montana 650T, It works anywhere and does everything you could ever ask for. The downside is the cost, but in the long run it was well worth it. I can use it in my Jeep on the road or on almost any trail. It uses city maps, topo maps and satellite maps (called birds eye).There is also a free program called basecamp for your PC so you can download your waypoints and tracks, plus create your own and create your own routes then re-upload to your GPS unit. So you already have a route created before you even leave home. It is handheld and mounts to your dash so you can taking it hiking or GEOtracking or anything. It also runs on a rechargeable battery, plus takes AA battery's encase the rechargeable one runs out. The other nice thing is you can use wireless to send waypoints and route's back and forth between Montana units, so you can share information with others.
1991 YJ I6 4.7 Stroker 248hp 5-speed manual
Oregonwolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2012, 11:25 AM   #6
scooberjeep
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Tj

i'm using my android phone as a gps at browns camp, i use a app called back country navigator, it allows you to save an area of the map you want to use, so when you don't have cell reception you can still use that area of the map only. i spent some time setting up my trails on google earth. saved them and loaded them on my phone.. it works out very well
scooberjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2012, 03:45 PM   #7
NW99XJ
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooberjeep View Post
i'm using my android phone as a gps at browns camp, i use a app called back country navigator, it allows you to save an area of the map you want to use, so when you don't have cell reception you can still use that area of the map only. i spent some time setting up my trails on google earth. saved them and loaded them on my phone.. it works out very well
Sounds like a good idea!
Any chance I could get a copy of those maps?
Unread 06-16-2012, 10:57 AM   #8
matzilla2u
1986 CJ7 

All the maps are free. Just browse, select the areas you want and download. The software itself is the only cost. Just search the app store.
matzilla2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2012, 01:26 AM   #9
scooberjeep
1999 TJ Wrangler 

i have been trying to figure out how to send the file in the forums lol
Unread 07-09-2012, 01:29 AM   #10
scooberjeep
1999 TJ Wrangler 

http://productforums.google.com/foru...es/BFxfnpjpf68
Unread 07-09-2012, 01:32 PM   #11
NW99XJ
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooberjeep View Post
i have been trying to figure out how to send the file in the forums lol
Got it! Thanks for the link, and the file!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.