TSF: Saddle Up - Trail Closure - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North West USA > Oregon Jeep Forum > TSF: Saddle Up - Trail Closure

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 11-22-2013, 12:13 AM   #31
Dohc91gli
2000 XJ Cherokee 

This is amazing. I think I can speak for everyone when I say how much we appreciate people like you. People that step up and lend not only one hand, but several. Time, fuel, ect. ect. Big props to you, Sir.

Dohc91gli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2013, 07:37 AM   #32
NW99XJ
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Very Kind Words....Thank you very much.
Hope to see you out on the trail next spring!
NW99XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2013, 02:13 PM   #33
Dohc91gli
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I hope to get out there soon!
Dohc91gli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2014, 08:53 AM   #34
NW99XJ
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Here's the latest update as if Jan 25th....
A report from a fellow NAXJA member who went on a quad trip up to TSF to scout the new trail....
Here's what he had to say:
Quote:
I just wanted to post up a status report for Saddle Up;
I ran it via quad yesterday. First off I got to say. Props to AwesomeXJ, NW99XJ, Mopar440, Kenny881, ODF and ALL the others that had a hand in on this.
The trail is going to be EPIC! it will rival ALL the rest in the forest for popularity! IMO we wont have any problems with water runoff until next year.
There are some sections that make me scratch my head on how and where it will be opened up for jeeps.
I think that will be a fun bridge for us to cross once we get to it.

We do however have two substantially large trees down over the trail near the bottom entrances/exits (there are 2 now) I could not bypass them in a legit manor on the quad and was forced to turn it around. It will take a BIG saw to cut these things up and get them off of the trail. My fear looking at all the loose sediment still on the trail, is that with the trees down over the trail, we wont get the tire traffic we were looking for to help the process along.
I'm willing to help, but I don't have much more than a couple able hands to help with.

Once again, this trail is going to be one of the best trails in the forest. I cant wait to get my jeep on it.
Upon further discussion he mentioned that a saw with a 24" blade would suffice to break up these large downed trees to separate them from their giant root balls.
With that and some creative rigging and a 12k winch, we could get that trail back open.....
And thats where we're at right now...we need to get as much quad traffic as possible on this trail between now and late spring, to get some good mechanical compaction on the loose topsoil... we WERE relying on a decent amount of snowfall to help with this, but as you all know, we haven't had much at all this year so far.
So if you have a quad or two, or know somebody who does, start spreading the word, we need riders up there to get some good traffic going.
Thats it for now guys and gals.... stay tuned for more updates!
Unread 01-28-2014, 09:17 AM   #35
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

I walked part of it a couple weeks ago.
I have tons of tackle/rigging and saws from 16,24,36 and 48" bars.

I was kinda disappointed with airplane, its like a paved road now. I got clear to the top ledge in 2wd.

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride

2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2014, 09:39 AM   #36
NW99XJ
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudb8 View Post
I walked part of it a couple weeks ago.
I have tons of tackle/rigging and saws from 16,24,36 and 48" bars.

I was kinda disappointed with airplane, its like a paved road now. I got clear to the top ledge in 2wd.
Yea Dave, I hear that airplane hill is "all new"...they removed most of the rock from the hillside. Then set some concrete barrier/dividers down. (standing straight up) and then filled it back in with rock and fill dirt in between said barriers. Then laid a couple more barriers on top of it all with some more larger loose rock for fun. This makes up the lower portion of the hill climb up to the 1st winch point. From there its close to the same.
The trail is TOTALLY different now from what I hear.

I guess it looks more like it did when it was 1st reopened a couple years back. Here's the first section of it as of last weekend 01/25/14
(pic courtesy of XJRomeo)

AS to Saddle Up.... I just sent a message to Jahmaal at ODF, and asked if they knew about these downed trees, and if they have anything planned to take care of them, if not, that its no big deal, but it would take us a couple weeks to organize a work party and gather the gear to handle this..... then there's the whole issue of probably needing to get rigs up there for winch use, and how we'd accomplish that, if it'd even be allowed.
If ODF says its going to be up to us, then I'll schedule a work party for a couple weeks out, and it would be AWESOME if you'd lend a hand with a saw(s) and/or rigging... the more cutting and man power we have, the quicker this can get handled.
Thanks again Dave!
Unread 01-28-2014, 10:10 AM   #37
mudb8

1999 TJ Wrangler 

I dont think getting rigs up there will be an issue, keep me informed. Im due for another run within the next two weeks. Im trying to make more time for the kids. We connect best when the jeep and bikes are involved, so ive made it a priority once a month.

7-up and can opener

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

Unread 01-28-2014, 11:31 AM   #38
NW99XJ
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Just got word back from Jahmaal.... ODF will be taking care of the downed trees.
Dave, I've been up wheeling TSF twice in the last two weeks, might need a weekend to go thru things,
...but I'd be down for a run with ya here in the next couple weeks.
Keep me posted, and I'll tag along.
Unread 01-28-2014, 11:45 AM   #39
mudb8

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW99XJ View Post
Just got word back from Jahmaal.... ODF will be taking care of the downed trees.
Dave, I've been up wheeling TSF twice in the last two weeks, might need a weekend to go thru things,
...but I'd be down for a run with ya here in the next couple weeks.
Keep me posted, and I'll tag along.
We'll do, usually have 141 (mike), islandtj (ken), imran and the jeepwest crew on call,... Been a while since ive seen dbbd1. Imran lets the ball games get in the way of wheeling tho! Hehe.

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

Unread 02-02-2014, 04:28 PM   #40
cjsrebiff
Drives Like Granpa

2012 JK Wrangler 

Hello to all posting on this thread. In the event you need more hands and a strong back I would like to offer mine. I don't get on the forum much, but I have been to TFS a couple of times. I am in Eugene, so I do need some notice as it is an all day event to get there. I am more than willing to make time to help out. Please let me know if you are interested.

Thanks!
46 CJ2a - Chevy 350, Locked front and rear Dana's with 5.38s.
cjsrebiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2014, 08:14 AM   #41
NW99XJ
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjsrebiff View Post
Hello to all posting on this thread. In the event you need more hands and a strong back I would like to offer mine. I don't get on the forum much, but I have been to TFS a couple of times. I am in Eugene, so I do need some notice as it is an all day event to get there. I am more than willing to make time to help out. Please let me know if you are interested.

Thanks!
VERY Nice!
Thank you for the offer.
Right now there's not a lot going on, but I think in April or May as the (official) season starts, there will most likely be at least one work party to get the winter blow down, the last remaining brush, and various debris off the trail in time for the class II opening.
I will post up at least a week in advance of any work parties scheduled.
Thanks again.
Unread 03-18-2014, 03:04 PM   #42
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Hey...any updates on this?
2012 Rubicon JKUR: 4" Tera Flex Long Arm, Fox 2.0 Shocks w/resi, Fox Stabi, Yukon 5:13's, Evo C gussets, Evo Magnum Sleeves, Evo Rockstars, LOD Stubby Bumper, Poison Spyder Rock Brawler Rear Bumper/Carrier,Poison Spyder Sliders, Poison Spyder EVAP Skid, KMC Strikes on 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers
141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2014, 03:25 PM   #43
NW99XJ
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Working on getting a spring clean up crew put together to go thru the trail before the season opener.
No dates have been set. Stay tuned.
Unread 04-10-2014, 08:38 AM   #44
NW99XJ
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

2014 Spring Clean Up

TENTATIVE Date set for a walk thru and trail clean up of Saddle Up....
May 3rd.
SOLV will be up there the 26th doing some more general litter pick-up and tree planting with ODF....
Not sure if they're going to make it up there, but OUR plan will be to take care of any early grow over on the trail,
...clearing blow down from this winter, and general "tidying up" for the season's opening.
ODF will be up there working in the area around that time as well, so we may have help if needed with any big stuff....
Again, this is a TENTATIVE date, and not set in stone.
I will keep you guys posted.

I also have a query sent out to ODF about when we can expect Class II vehicles to be allowed on Saddle up....so stay tuned!
Unread 04-10-2014, 09:04 AM   #45
cjsrebiff
Drives Like Granpa

2012 JK Wrangler 

My daughter and I will be there for the SOLVE clean up, but we will be at a Wedding on the 3rd. Please let me know if that date changes...
46 CJ2a - Chevy 350, Locked front and rear Dana's with 5.38s.
cjsrebiff is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.