Trail Maps - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North West USA > Oregon Jeep Forum > Trail Maps

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 07-07-2009, 11:18 AM   #1
SnoqulmieTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Trail Maps

Im looking for some good PDF trail maps that i can print off so i have them with me on the road.

SnoqulmieTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2009, 11:23 AM   #2
McKBrew
JK Wrangler 

I'm going to take a guess and assume that you spend a bit of time driving on forest service roads. If so, the best maps are the ones put out by the forest service. A PDF map on standard paper is probably going to be a PITA to read. Nothing like a full size fold-out map to help figure out how to get somewhere via backroads. Of course none of those maps tell you that the road is washed out 9 miles in.
McKBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2009, 11:53 AM   #3
SnoqulmieTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I go to school for drafting so i can print in full size since we have a ploter in class, but any format will work. since i hate driving blind
Unread 07-07-2009, 05:20 PM   #4
ChicagoGuy
formerly VetteDriver

2008 JK Wrangler 

Other than dnr.wa.gov, two sites I use here pretty extensively:

http://www.nwjeepn.com/WAtrails.htm for overall info, and a Jeeper here on the forum has done a great job getting some maps published at http://homepage.mac.com/WebObjects/F...eSharing5.html
Unread 07-19-2009, 11:11 PM   #5
FuzznYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoqulmieTJ View Post
Im looking for some good PDF trail maps that i can print off so i have them with me on the road.
The best thing I have found is the Topo software the National Geographic puts out for each state. I purchased the Idaho version and it has countless trails listed as "Jeep Trails". You can easily print whatever you want off of these maps as well.
FuzznYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2009, 11:54 AM   #6
SnoqulmieTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Yea i have seen those,but i didnt know if they worked well with jeep trails. Does the software work with gps units aswell?
Unread 07-20-2009, 03:59 PM   #7
lupinsea
2001 TJ Wrangler 

The National Geographic TOPO! software will download the GPS data from my Garmin GPS60 unit very nicely. It's also the only decent map software that works on my Mac. It's also the same software I used to create the basemap for the Reiter Trails Map.pdf file found on VetteDriver's second link (which was then brought into Photoshop for finishing).

The downside to the TOPO! software is that while it sometimes shows 4x4 trails it doesn't show them all or some of the trails have been shut down.

Other than that it all depends on what maps you're looking for.

NWJeepn.com has a great trail list index with many of the trails mapped w/ their GPS equipment. One thing, though, is that I like to get maps of an entire 4x4 area and NWJeepn.com likes to do only one or a few trails per 8 1/2 x 11 paper.

I do my maps on 11x17. Smaller and more manageable than a big fold out map but large enough to fit a decent trail area on and still be legible. Only downside is not many people have 11x17 printers. . . . but Kinkos and Office Depot do.

Figure out which ORV area you want to play in and then figure out the land management agency. For example, Manastash and Liberty are under the Cle Elum Forest Service Ranger Station which has an on-line trail map available here. It's tiled into 8 1/2 x 11 PDFs. I took these, tiled them in Photoshops, added additional notes and saved as my Manastash Trail Map.pdf file.

Rimrock is under the Naches Forest Service Ranger Station. And places like Tahuya, Walker Valley, and Elbe are run by WA state DNR (which has maps posted online).
Unread 07-20-2009, 11:47 PM   #8
FuzznYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoqulmieTJ View Post
Yea i have seen those,but i didnt know if they worked well with jeep trails. Does the software work with gps units aswell?
I have had good luck with them so far. One of my Garmin handhelds interfaces with the maps and tracks very well on the trail.
FuzznYJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.