so... I think I want to lift my JK. Portland? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North West USA > Oregon Jeep Forum > so... I think I want to lift my JK. Portland?

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 10-29-2008, 10:02 PM   #1
OregonVette
2008 JK Wrangler 

so... I think I want to lift my JK. Portland?

2008 rescue green 4dr JK sahara.

I took it muddin' with the family briefly last weekend and nearly got stuck.

I love the handling & suspension of this factory/stock JK but I think it's time for a small lift (2" or 3" variety) and a slightly beefier tire.

JK owner, since warranty is involved, don't know whom I can trust to do this purchase/ install from?

Dealer, local 4x shop, les schwab, myself???

Give it to me straight. Who did you use (Portland area).

OregonVette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2008, 10:24 PM   #2
redjeepguy1

can tell who TO go to, but I will say that for the most part, it seems like Jeepers don't care too much for the national chain store called 4 Wheel Parts. for getting stuff installed. every once in a while i see/hear a horror story how they talked a customer in to buying something way beyond what the customer came in to buy, and then hosed up the installation.

their sales people like to up-sell, probably because they get a commision on what they sell.
Unread 10-29-2008, 11:01 PM   #3
IslandTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Location: where I wheel: N 45║ 36.663' W 123║ 20.935', Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonVette View Post
Give it to me straight. Who did you use (Portland area).
Any of the three I've mentioned in this thread should be able to hook you up OregonVette.
1998 TJ Moss [COLOR=darkgreen][B][SIZE=3]Green[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR] Sahara w/ numerous scratches & dents whose playground is on a tropical island that's 33 miles long and 4-12 miles wide, in year-round 82 degree weather.

[Edit] "Now jeepin in Oregon" [/Edit]
IslandTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2008, 10:49 PM   #4
nwquadriders
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I had mine done by Precision in Clackamas (down the road from Rob's on 135th and Hwy 212). Since then, I've been wheeling with the guys at 4-wheel parts on a semi-regular basis. I'd trust their mechanic Brandon to do the work. His rig is a testament to his abilities. If you were to go to or call that shop, ask for Josh (sales person) and tell him that Chad from NW Quadriders sent you. You can also try the guys at **** Hannah up in Vantucky. They've set up a forum called "dontfearthejeeper.com" and have been giving folks some pretty decent prices on parts.
'04 Solar Yellow Wrangler Unlimited: 3.5" RE Superflex w/ RE Monotube shocks, 33x10.5 BFG MT's, Warn XD9000i winch, Jeeperman Trail Skids & Rear Bumper/Tire Carrier with 1/4 Panel Guards. Skid row engine skid.

NW Quadriders ATV Club
nwquadriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2008, 11:12 AM   #5
md41969
2008 JK Wrangler 

Les Swhabe uses Revtek which is a BB, personally would go there because of past dealings with them and nothing to do with Revtek. Used Gresham 4x4 for my YJ, they stock BDS which would be a 3", liked their service. It really is something that you could do yourself in a few hours. I have about the same mechanical ability as my dog and with some help I put a BB on which is about the same work as a small spring lift. I just followed the instructions and used a thread from here as a reference when I had a question and went for it. Plan on getting some larger springs and going to 4 here soon and will do it myself again. Picked up the BB off eBay from Rough Country for a bit less and replaced the shocks. A good floor jack, couple of jack stands and the right tools is all it takes. Planning on getting most of my new parts from Hannah as mentioned above.
1995 Wrangler

White Jeep Club Member #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourbyFour View Post
"....you know what hurts the most, it's the lack of respect, that hurts the most.....and, and the the other thing hurts too, BUT not as much as the lack of respect..disgusting.."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob99 View Post
Your dog's head doesn't look like it belongs on his body. Is it an aftermarket head?
md41969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2008, 11:58 AM   #6
OregonVette
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by md41969 View Post
Les Swhabe uses Revtek which is a BB, personally would go there because of past dealings with them and nothing to do with Revtek..

Hi there, I'm not sure I understand your post above. Is this a typo?

thanks for the input
Unread 10-31-2008, 02:17 PM   #7
md41969
2008 JK Wrangler 

Not good at articulating, sorry. What I meant was that I would not go to Les Schwabe for anything and that it has nothing to do with Revtek, the brand that they use. I know some people like them but in the few times I've went I've had bad experiences with them, not at the same stores either so I avoid them. Revtek is a local company, as is Warrior and Cage who also make lifts. I'm sure Revtek makes a decent product but I wouldn't get it from Schwabe if that's the route I chose. The Revtek product is a BB, 2" I think, Warrior makes a 2" BB and a 3" spring kit, Cage a 2" BB and 4" springs. Most places deal with a few brands so that would narrow it down if you chose a particular shop to do it. Put it on yourself and then you can get whatever you want.
1995 Wrangler

Quote:
"....you know what hurts the most, it's the lack of respect, that hurts the most.....and, and the the other thing hurts too, BUT not as much as the lack of respect..disgusting.."
Quote:
Your dog's head doesn't look like it belongs on his body. Is it an aftermarket head?
Unread 11-01-2008, 11:42 AM   #8
OregonVette
2008 JK Wrangler 

^ Thanks ^

I really appreciate the help.

Kindof curious tho why Chrysler put such an odd 18" wheel on the Sahara OEM???

Trying to get beefier tires has been difficult.

I would really love factory OEM 17" Rubicon wheels & tires.
Unread 11-01-2008, 11:58 AM   #9
md41969
2008 JK Wrangler 

Haven't had a chance to save for new ones, looking at the soft 8's, or I'd give you a deal on mine. Maybe hit up Hannah and see if they have any laying around. They build up some to sell on the lot, mostly X's but also some Saharas and Rubi's so they might have some. If nothing else they do offer some good deals on parts. There are more choices for 17's, check craigslist and some of the forum's, you can usually find some there as well.
1995 Wrangler

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 11-18-2008, 12:31 PM   #10
FooK
2002 WJ 

Take it up to **** Hannah. Tell them Jason from Warrior sent you.

Also, call Tyler from **** Hannah Chrysler in Parts. He let me know the other day that he has some JK Rubi take off's sitting in the shop. They can also install our 2.5"/2" spacer kit, or our 3" kit for you.

**** ...you cant say D I C K on Jeepforum, lol
Driver #1724 Team WP Jeepspeed
Co-Driver #36 ERS Rally Team
FooK is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.