Possibly moving to Oregon and have a few questions. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North West USA > Oregon Jeep Forum > Possibly moving to Oregon and have a few questions.

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 08-05-2012, 08:16 PM   #1
BIGHEEP
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Question Possibly moving to Oregon and have a few questions.

Hey all, I am currently living on the east coast in the state of New Hampshire. My wife who I met 10 years ago while she was out here for college is originally from Hood River, OR. Since we met we have started a family and lived out here in New Hampshire but my wifes heart is still in Oregon. I myself have been out there a few times to visit and love the area. We have recently been talking about moving out to OR and probably will in the next couple years. As my wife knows my first loves are my family but second is my Jeeps. I currently have two YJ's. One is a 1990 and more of a street Jeep with just a 4" lift and 31" A/T tires. The other is a 1988 which currently running Wagoneer D44s front/rear w/ 34" swampers. The laws for moddifing a vehicle are much tighter here in NH. We have saftey inspections every year as well as emissions testing for vehicles 1996 and newer. We are limited on bumper height and the big thing is your tires tread can not stick out past your fender flares. As of right now my 1988 YJ passes on almost all the laws except the front tires stick out a bit past the flares.
I am almost ready to do a bit of a rebuild on my 88. It's axles are going to go under my 1990 and it will be getting a built waggy D44 front and Ford 9" rear, SOA.

Basiclly what it comes down to is, What can I get away with in Oregon? Everything I read says the only real requirement is mud flaps. Is this true? If so how much are they inforced? (IMHO, mud flaps kill the look of a rig.) Am I going to get hassled with tube fenders and my tires sticking out past the flares? Do I even need flares?

ALso my 1990 has the 4.0L and AW4 out of a 1997 XJ. My 1988 currently has a 4.0L out of a 93 XJ but when I swap the axles it will be getting the
5.2L out of a 1994 ZJ. Are there any laws concerning engine swaps?

Thanks in advance!

Build thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/m...igheep-534340/
North East Willy Jeep Organization
www.NEWJO.ORG
BIGHEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2012, 08:24 PM   #2
travisrda
1984 CJ7 

from my experience the cops only use that as an excuse to pull you over to see if you are doing anything wrong I have never heard of anyone getting a ticket for having their tires sticking out to far however they are only supposed to stick out about an inch past the fender flares. I know of one guy that had a yj and he was running a dana 60 full width and they gave him a warning at first and then he had to put on some flares so the complete tire wasn't sticking out.
travisrda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2012, 04:33 PM   #3
1997 TJ Wrangler 

You're pretty safe for the safe for the most part. As long as your running 35's or less they really wont hassle you if your tags/license/insurance are legit. Most of the cops are busy chasing the import car crowd with the blown out glass packs on them. 20 years ago they pulled every truck over and that didn't have mud flaps or fender flares, but now it seems thye don't really care.
2012 Rubicon JKUR: 4" Tera Flex Long Arm, Fox 2.0 Shocks w/resi, Fox Stabi, Yukon 5:13's, Evo C gussets, Evo Magnum Sleeves, Evo Rockstars, LOD Stubby Bumper, Poison Spyder Rock Brawler Rear Bumper/Carrier,Poison Spyder Sliders, Poison Spyder EVAP Skid, KMC Strikes on 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers
141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2012, 12:34 PM   #4
Benderff

2006 TJ Wrangler 

According to the laws your tires have to be covered, and mud flaps are needed if more then 27" of tire are visable from behind. Most LEO's are so overworked and have much better things to do then pull you over for that, unless you are being a jack ***. About ten years ago they had some sort of campain in southern Oregon to enforce the laws. My YJ at the time had crappy backspaced rims with a bunch of tread showing. I was issued a fix-it ticket by a state trooper, and then pulled over 5 times the following two weeks for the same thing. Going by what axles you are going to use I don't think you will have much of a problem. If you have the finds you could pick up some wheels with back spacing that tucks them under a little more to offset the wider WMS to WMS.

I don't believe any part of Oregon has safety inspections, just emissions. The emission testing I know of only covers autos that are 20 years and newer. At least that was the case when I lived in an area that had testing.
Unread 10-19-2012, 03:57 PM   #5
samseifert
1993 YJ Wrangler 

The tire thing will get you a fix-it ticket. mud flaps they don't seem to care about here in the eugene/springfield area... I got a fix-it on my old Toyota for the tire thing... bought some rubber walkway flashing and sheet metal screwed it to the fenders, took a pic, showed the judge, then took it off and never got pulled over again... It's lax as hell here. Hope to see you sometime!
samseifert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2012, 04:04 PM   #6
LostJeeper
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I think they just changed the engine laws might want to check into it. Most the time I only get pulled over after midnight for tire and mud flap laws. Think it is really for dui's though.
LostJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2012, 05:11 PM   #7
SnowYJ
1988 MJ Comanche 

They really aren't too strict here.. ran my YJ on 35's all over and didn't get pulled over once. Depends on where you live also, I'm from a rural area. I know in bigger cities they get a little tighter. Probably be safe and run some removable flaps?
Unread 10-20-2012, 08:28 PM   #8
chevymad
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostJeeper View Post
Most the time I only get pulled over after midnight for tire and mud flap laws. Think it is really for dui's though.
This.

Although here they start pulling over the 4x4s about 5pm when the happy hour crowd starts moving. It's all good unless you've had a beer.
chevymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2012, 12:23 PM   #9
Pawjob
1993 YJ Wrangler 

http://www.liftlaws.com/oregon_lift_laws.htm does this help?
Pawjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2012, 08:17 PM   #10
dunebum
1974 CJ5 

Boy oh boy you should see the cyclopse crap on the in oregon.You can put 44s on with no concern to other peoples safety.All you need is a 110 welder and off to building an engineering nightmare we go. although the cops will use any excuse to make a few bucks.But if you can build it you can drive it.
dunebum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2012, 08:33 PM   #11
Pawjob
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Wish I lived in Oregon cause according to Washington state laws my jeep is not street legal.
Unread 11-10-2012, 12:57 AM   #12
samseifert
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Come on down! Always need more Jeepers...
Unread 11-13-2012, 03:33 AM   #13
Pawjob
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I go wheeling in Tillamook alot and now that La Dee Flats is opening up Ive gone there afew times.
Unread 11-13-2012, 10:18 PM   #14
samseifert
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I want to head up there sometime before too long, never been so I'd like to have some folks who knew the area...
Unread 11-13-2012, 10:27 PM   #15
nacheswheelin
1960 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawjob
Wish I lived in Oregon cause according to Washington state laws my jeep is not street legal.
What laws do we have up here, that make your jeep illegal?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.