Mt.Hood christmas tree run - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North West USA > Oregon Jeep Forum > Mt.Hood christmas tree run

Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Savvy FREE SHIPPING!

Unread 11-25-2007, 07:39 AM   #1
merkur92
2002 WJ 

Mt.Hood christmas tree run

Thinking about a x-mas tree run to mt.hood or someplace around portland area next weekend.I usually just buy one but would be fun for my 4 year old son,and a chance to do a little snow wheelin.Anybody know the best place to go?

Unread 11-25-2007, 02:10 PM   #2
merkur92
2002 WJ 

Looks like you buy a $5 permit at the ranger station in sandy and its good for up to a 12' tree.
Unread 11-26-2007, 12:10 PM   #3
BRICKTOP2
Unhingd PigFeedng Gangstr

2008 JK Wrangler 

group run?

I might have a couple people up for a run like this. If anyone knows the best place to go to and would like to propose a group run up there (preferable mellow snow driving so we can bring wives and kids) post it up and let's do it! Anywhere in SW Washington or as far out as MT Hood is cool with me.

JK Build Thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/3...-build-545214/
TJ Tub Trailerhttp://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f104/...tj-tub-568873/
BRICKTOP2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2007, 06:28 PM   #4
merkur92
2002 WJ 

If we go to mt hood,you can get the permits in zig zag between 9 and 2 on sat.They have maps and can let us know a good place to go for trees or snow.I will have my 4 year old son and 12 year old niece with me.
Unread 11-27-2007, 12:11 PM   #5
merkur92
2002 WJ 

I cant beleive nobody else wants to go play in the snow.I was thinking we could meet at the zig zag ranger station at 10 a.m.
Unread 11-27-2007, 02:50 PM   #6
banderso
1991 XJ Cherokee 

You're talking the weekend of December 1 right? If so I will probably go. As long as I don't end up with a ridiculous amount of school work over the weekend. Where is the zig zag ranger station? Zig zag is a place?
banderso is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2007, 04:35 PM   #7
merkur92
2002 WJ 

Yes the 1st,zig zag is on highway 26 at the bottom of Mt.Hood.
Unread 11-30-2007, 08:03 PM   #8
banderso
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Well, I'm not going to make it. Have fun.
banderso is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2007, 11:11 AM   #9
nwquadriders
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I think I'll be out looking for one next weekend...too early for a tree for me this weekend.

Next Sunday (the 9th) a group of us are headed to Brown's Camp (Tillamook State Forest). I may pick up a permit from them before heading up...although I don't know where I'd put the dang tree for the drive home.

But...snow wheeling is the agenda. I can go back out in my truck when it's time to get a tree.
'04 Solar Yellow Wrangler Unlimited: 3.5" RE Superflex w/ RE Monotube shocks, 33x10.5 BFG MT's, Warn XD9000i winch, Jeeperman Trail Skids & Rear Bumper/Tire Carrier with 1/4 Panel Guards. Skid row engine skid.

NW Quadriders ATV Club
nwquadriders is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2007, 12:30 AM   #10
ronrdrcr
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Browns camp sounds like fun. It's off 53 right?

I just went wheelin at Nikolai mountain today in the rock quarry. Had an absolute blast. I'll post pics and videos later.

Ron

2006 Kawasaki Z1000

2005 Chevy 2500 Crew Cab
Duramax Diesel / Allison 6spd auto
ronrdrcr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2007, 01:40 AM   #11
nwquadriders
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronrdrcr
Browns camp sounds like fun. It's off 53 right?

I just went wheelin at Nikolai mountain today in the rock quarry. Had an absolute blast. I'll post pics and videos later.

Ron
Nope...it's off of HWY 6 between Tillamook and Banks.
'04 Solar Yellow Wrangler Unlimited: 3.5" RE Superflex w/ RE Monotube shocks, 33x10.5 BFG MT's, Warn XD9000i winch, Jeeperman Trail Skids & Rear Bumper/Tire Carrier with 1/4 Panel Guards. Skid row engine skid.

NW Quadriders ATV Club
Unread 12-02-2007, 08:21 AM   #12
merkur92
2002 WJ 

I ended up going with a bunch of xj,s to goat mt.for some snow wheelin.there was alot of snow up there.I did not know you could cut trees in the tsf.That might be a good exscuse to go again.
Unread 12-03-2007, 11:55 AM   #13
rpg1520
Heavily Armed Liberal
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Even though I live in Sandy I used to go every year up outside Estacada to a large stand of noble fir, you went over the bridge towards Molalla on 211 and find the road that takes you to forest service road 45. They had some nice trees up there and some serious snow. Might be melting a bit today though, but the road goes way up, you can allways find some. We would also make a loop of it if we could and make it back down to the river. I took my kids every year for about 10 years, it was a fun day.

The trees up on Mt Hood are usually just skinny fir trees and you are limited in the area you can get them from (like Lolo pass, under the power lines).
rpg1520 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2007, 10:39 PM   #14
nwquadriders
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Change of plans has my group headed up either to Goat Mtn, Fish Creek, or Sawtell Road to play in the snow on the 9th.

Not sure if we'll find much since the weather has really warmed up, and rained A LOT.

merkur92: If you wheeled with a bunch of XJ's last weekend was one a red 2-door, and was there a propane powered Toyota truck in the group? They were out wheeling last weekend in the snow... on Goat Mtn too I think. If so this is the same group I'm headed out with on Sunday.

NW Quadriders ATV Club
Unread 12-05-2007, 11:37 PM   #15
merkur92
2002 WJ 

no toyota,just me and 7 or 8 xj,s.3-red, 2-white,1 camo,and 1 black.I did see a few peaple getting trees up there.The snow was about 2' deep with packed snow and ice under it.Was pretty slick once you got down to the ice,fun stuff.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.