Moving to the Crescent City Ca Brookings Or area. Looking for tips - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North West USA > Oregon Jeep Forum > Moving to the Crescent City Ca Brookings Or area. Looking for tips

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 02-26-2011, 10:50 PM   #31
Tinga
2002 TJ Wrangler 

DAMNIT! That looks like fun.. Hopefully I'll be making it up there. I've got my eye on Brians D44 :P :P

Unread 03-10-2011, 03:44 PM   #32
BigJake3030
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I also just moved to the area. Sold my Zj when we moved and just bought an xj last week, the lift just came yesterday so it will be going on next week. I have been trying to find people to wheel with out here.
Unread 03-10-2011, 04:02 PM   #33
DevilDogDoc
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Where are you based out of? I just moved to Brookings this week still getting situated to everything but so far so good!!
Unread 03-10-2011, 04:03 PM   #34
BigJake3030
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Im in Crescent
Unread 03-10-2011, 04:13 PM   #35
DevilDogDoc
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Nice I was living there until the 8th and I just moved into the place I am now. Nice to not be living out of a suitcase anymore. You at the Bay?
Unread 03-10-2011, 04:17 PM   #36
BigJake3030
1992 XJ Cherokee 

PM sent
Unread 03-12-2011, 11:14 AM   #37
c-longm2
1997 TJ Wrangler 

DevilDogDoc, how you doing after the tsunami? Hope and pray you and loved ones are ok.
c-longm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2011, 11:35 AM   #38
DevilDogDoc
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the thoughts we are fine I was in Brookings most of the day and flew out of crescent at 230. My biggest concern was if my flight was actually gonna take off. We are doing fine!!
Unread 03-20-2011, 12:05 AM   #39
87wagoneerLTD
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilDogDoc View Post
Nice I was living there until the 8th and I just moved into the place I am now. Nice to not be living out of a suitcase anymore. You at the Bay?
Doc, if you like sand, there's nothing better than the Sandfest up in North Bend/Coos Bay - it's every summer, although there's a pretty strong partying crowd that attends. I grew up in Gold Beach, and we moved to North Bend when I was about 14...there are literally thousands of miles of logging roads up there that you can get lost in, too.
87wagoneerLTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2011, 05:14 AM   #40
DevilDogDoc
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks, I hear that the drive from here to to Gold beach is beautiful also gonna have to see what that's all about!
Unread 03-20-2011, 01:07 PM   #41
87wagoneerLTD
1987 XJ Cherokee 

It is, hands down, one of the most beautiful areas in the world IMO.

Fun tip - not a place for offroading, but a great place to take the family at low tide if you don't mind a walk down a very steep slope on clay. At the northern end of Samuel H Boardman park (along 101, about 12 miles south of Gold Beach), there's a turn-out viewpoint to see Arch Rock. Immediately to the south of that, on the west side of the highway, there's a poorly marked spot to park behind the guardrail. Follow the trail down, keep a good grip on the little ones, and take a picnic. You want to go at low tide, trust me...and keep a VERY close eye on the time you're down there, know when high tide is. There's a string of about 7-8 hidden cove beaches down there, with gigantic sea stacks and the last one is only accessible through a rock arch that's only open at low tide. You can easily be trapped down there if you're not careful, so while it's a great place, do be careful.

Go upriver at Gold Beach as well as soon as you have the time. Summer time at Lobster Creek where it hits the Rogue...there may be better swimming holes in the world, but IMO this one's one of the best. Wildhorse Prarie is a great place for getting your wheels dirty, too.

I miss living down there, does it show?
Unread 03-20-2011, 11:29 PM   #42
DevilDogDoc
1997 TJ Wrangler 

See now those are the kinds of tips I'm looking gor right there! As soon as I have a day off we are going somewhere!! The wife already said we need to find some trails and what nit but the stacks sound really cool too!
Unread 03-21-2011, 12:04 AM   #43
87wagoneerLTD
1987 XJ Cherokee 

One absolute cannot-miss is the jet boats - go in July or August so you don't get too cold, and take a camera. I've been upriver several times, and nearly every time I've seen something new, from bald eagles fishing to bears, elk, deer, cougars, and one memorable time, nudists.
Unread 06-20-2011, 10:37 PM   #44
imstillatwork
1993 YJ Wrangler 

If you live in Brookings, grab the Gold Beach Ranger District maps and go driving.

Rowdy Creek has some super fun trails / roads with a bit of off road spots on the side.

Further up north at Hunter Creek there are some super fun spots.

All of the roads up the winchuck, chetco, and rogue rivers connect and there is 100's of miles of driving and site seeing, exploring, light off-roading, unmaintained 4x4 roads, unmapped logging roads, etc.

One of my favorites is to head up the chetco and out to snow camp & game lake areas, red flat mining area, and make my way out towards Agnes up the rogue. Take an extra 5 gallons if you plan on much side road exploring!

From Brookings / Goldbeach you can make it back to grants pass without seeing another car all day - fun drives!
imstillatwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2011, 03:44 PM   #45
DevilDogDoc
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Well it's been a few months, still haven't found much of a challenge here. Miles of logging roads
though!!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.