Looking for wheeling this weekend. PDX area - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North West USA > Oregon Jeep Forum > Looking for wheeling this weekend. PDX area

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 05-24-2010, 01:51 PM   #1
sdmoose429
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Looking for wheeling this weekend. PDX area

Anyone wanting to get a day run up for Sunday or Monday? I'm thinking about Fort Stevens and Strawberry Knoll, if ArmymanYJ is available.

Unread 05-24-2010, 04:01 PM   #2
ReconBen
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I'll let you know by Thursday(tomorrow if i get a definitive answer then) for sure. I have an interview tomorrow and if they give me what I want I have to make sure I am not working this weekend lol. Assuming I am not working I am down. Their are good clam tides this weekend I believe, So i probably will head down early do the tide, and then fart around on the beach. then try to go play on strawberry knoll when you show up.
ReconBen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2010, 05:24 PM   #3
sdmoose429
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminPSYJ View Post
I'll let you know by Thursday(tomorrow if i get a definitive answer then) for sure. I have an interview tomorrow and if they give me what I want I have to make sure I am not working this weekend lol. Assuming I am not working I am down. Their are good clam tides this weekend I believe, So i probably will head down early do the tide, and then fart around on the beach. then try to go play on strawberry knoll when you show up.
Sounds good.
Unread 05-25-2010, 03:54 PM   #4
bull_blaster
2005 WK 

Im off work for 6 days starting Friday. So, I can join you guys . My GC is stock, so I wont be able to tackle anything crazy
bull_blaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2010, 05:25 PM   #5
ReconBen
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Interview went well, I think I got it. He told me he would let me know tomorrow. If that happens I will ask him about this weekend. I am sure I will be available for at least a day trip since it is for a graveyard job anyways though

Welcome to join bullblaster, don't worry about being stock we will mainly just hang out on the beach and chill, we may take off up strawberry knoll but it isn't that deep so your welcome to ride along and park the GC at the entrance if you don't think you want to try. However I have taken stock vehicles before just make sure you got up the more mild entrance. haha since their are close to ten.

Moose you should ask Brandon if he wants to drive out, Sand is a great place to learn because it is much harder to get body damage, but much easier to get stuck. lol.
Unread 05-26-2010, 01:35 AM   #6
Lonewolf42
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Whats strawberry knoll i dont think ive ever heard of that one?
Lonewolf42 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2010, 02:07 AM   #7
SmashinTJs
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Im in for Monday

TJ TECH BOOT CAMP: READ IF NEW

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tj-tech-boot-camp-must-read-new-tj-owners-forum-members-722109/
Help us form the JF Search and Rescue Team
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/jf-rescue-704069/
Quote:
Originally Posted by scavanau View Post
Is that bumper weighted to keep you from catching air at highway speed?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthWhiteWolf View Post
Well no (why would it) :confused:
Quote:
Because I think your fender flares could easily pass for wings
SmashinTJs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2010, 02:41 AM   #8
ReconBen
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf42 View Post
Whats strawberry knoll i dont think ive ever heard of that one?
Ok I just did some digging, Strawberry knoll is also known as DeLaura Beach to some. However all the locals call it strawberry knoll. I asked my parents if their were any other names for it (they have lived in Astoria for over 20 years, and my uncle for over 40) however none of them knew.. So I got on google earth and found it. and alas the name DeLaura beach arose, go to google maps click satellite and then copy and paste this in the search bar.

46.149996,-123.963305

Here is a bit of history/ reading on the area as well.
http://www.co.clatsop.or.us/Assets/D...ra%20Beach.pdf

Don't ask anyone in town the help you find it though, it seems all of the natives know strawberry knoll.

Unread 05-26-2010, 12:24 PM   #9
SmashinTJs
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Ok I just did some digging, Strawberry knoll is also known as DeLaura Beach to some. However all the locals call it strawberry knoll. I asked my parents if their were any other names for it (they have lived in Astoria for over 20 years, and my uncle for over 40) however none of them knew.. So I got on google earth and found it. and alas the name DeLaura beach arose, go to google maps click satellite and then copy and paste this in the search bar.

46.149996,-123.963305

Here is a bit of history/ reading on the area as well.
http://www.co.clatsop.or.us/Assets/D...ra%20Beach.pdf

Don't ask anyone in town the help you find it though, it seems all of the natives know strawberry knoll.

Where are you planning on claming? Up by DeLaura or at Gearhart? I wouldnt mind joining you in the AM for the tide then wheelin

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=722109
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=704069
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 05-26-2010, 01:28 PM   #10
sdmoose429
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Interview went well, I think I got it. He told me he would let me know tomorrow. If that happens I will ask him about this weekend. I am sure I will be available for at least a day trip since it is for a graveyard job anyways though

Welcome to join bullblaster, don't worry about being stock we will mainly just hang out on the beach and chill, we may take off up strawberry knoll but it isn't that deep so your welcome to ride along and park the GC at the entrance if you don't think you want to try. However I have taken stock vehicles before just make sure you got up the more mild entrance. haha since their are close to ten.

Moose you should ask Brandon if he wants to drive out, Sand is a great place to learn because it is much harder to get body damage, but much easier to get stuck. lol.
1. Good luck with the job.

2. anyone is welcome, BB. Getting a bone stock rig is the best way to learn techniques. If you have all the equipment, you get to depend on it, rather than your own skills. None of us are THAT built anyway. That said, a CB is almost a neccessity. And a 2 meter HAM is really nice.

3. I have already told Brandon to plan on going...lol.

4. Thanks for doing the leg work, Ben. When you know for sure what day you can go, we'll make solid plans.
Unread 05-26-2010, 04:43 PM   #11
ReconBen
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmashinTJs View Post
Where are you planning on claming? Up by DeLaura or at Gearhart? I wouldnt mind joining you in the AM for the tide then wheelin
I clam 2miles north of peter ire dale(shipwreck) and that is on the same beach as Delaura just further north. I'll check my tide charts, You said you fine for monday, if monday has a decent tide I should be fine with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmoose429 View Post
1. Good luck with the job.
Thanks
2. anyone is welcome, BB. Getting a bone stock rig is the best way to learn techniques. If you have all the equipment, you get to depend on it, rather than your own skills. None of us are THAT built anyway. That said, a CB is almost a neccessity. And a 2 meter HAM is really nice.
I still need to replace my CB attenna(broke it off in december) so it is just a PA for the moment, I have a 2 way radio though.. sigh
3. I have already told Brandon to plan on going...lol.
Lol, Nice
4. Thanks for doing the leg work, Ben. When you know for sure what day you can go, we'll make solid plans.
If I don't get a call back by midnight, I should be good on all 3 days. and if he calls after that I will just tell him my starting date will have to be tuesday at the earliest as I had previous arrangements.
Unread 05-26-2010, 05:09 PM   #12
ReconBen
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Ok, that was fast, just got a call. I got the job, start on Tuesday. and much closer to home then Beaverton like currently. So I am good to go whenever. Looks like most people are good for Monday, so does that work for everyone?
So far I see

BenjaminPSYJ-YJ
sdmoose429-TJ
Bullblaster-WK
SmashinTJ's-TJ
AniesR-WJ
xjlover99(brandon, maybe)-XJ
MissKays01WJ-(maybe)WJ

Last edited by ReconBen; 05-27-2010 at 04:52 PM.. Reason: Attendance list
Unread 05-26-2010, 06:35 PM   #13
bull_blaster
2005 WK 

I'll be in Seattle for the weekend. but will be in town late Sunday. So monday sounds good.

As for basic stuff, lol :

Shovel, 5 miles radio, tow straps, and a couple of small 2x4
bull_blaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2010, 07:22 PM   #14
ReconBen
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Those are some good basics to bring, lol.

Oh and your stock GC can probably make it. I took my old YJ up their before as well. Depends on your driving and determination. I sank my jeep down to the frame and had to dig myself out with a shovel and nothing else. no one to pull me. However that was when I was trying to get it stuck to see if i could.

Although I filled it full of sand.. this picture doesn't do justice

I know they are not pictures of the dunes themselves but my buddy wanted to ride along not hang back and take pictures for me.. and didn't know i would need them. lol
Unread 05-26-2010, 08:30 PM   #15
SmashinTJs
1997 TJ Wrangler 

looks like a minus .4 tide around 1130ish so on the beach around 945ish. i think that works well for me. if something comes up i will let you guys know. Meeting place?

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=722109
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=704069
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.