Lookin' for somewhere to go this weekend. Sand Lake or Browns? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North West USA > Oregon Jeep Forum > Lookin' for somewhere to go this weekend. Sand Lake or Browns?

Save at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsECGS Labor Day Sale!!New DEAL OF THE WEEK at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 12-07-2010, 12:02 PM   #1
nwAdamR
2008 JK Wrangler 

Lookin' for somewhere to go this weekend. Sand Lake or Browns?

Hey gang.

I'm lookin' for somewhere to go this weekend in the Rubicon... Probably on Sunday. Any suggestions? I'm located in Beaverton. I'm new to wheelin' in the area. Still haven't taken the JK off-road (Blasphemy!). What are the Sand Lake dunes like this time of year? It's probably going to be pretty wet, rainy and windy (which is all good by me). My girl and I will be rolling solo (unless others are interested in going too)... will there be any others out there just in case we need some help? Or, should we go to Browns instead?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

-Adam.

nwAdamR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2010, 08:35 AM   #2
md41969
2008 JK Wrangler 

Browns camp would be closer but from the pics I've seen lately there is snow up there. Tends to get quite a bit in the winter, especially up higher. Not sure about the dunes, enjoy and be safe.
1995 Wrangler

White Jeep Club Member #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourbyFour View Post
"....you know what hurts the most, it's the lack of respect, that hurts the most.....and, and the the other thing hurts too, BUT not as much as the lack of respect..disgusting.."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob99 View Post
Your dog's head doesn't look like it belongs on his body. Is it an aftermarket head?
md41969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2010, 02:15 PM   #3
Feva
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I might be going to Browns on Sunday with a couple of buddys. I'm running a XJ on 31's, so nothing to extreme for me. I will post up later if its a go.
I also live in Aloha off Farmington.
Feva is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2010, 02:25 PM   #4
IslandTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Location: where I wheel: N 45║ 36.663' W 123║ 20.935', Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by md41969 View Post
Browns camp would be closer but from the pics I've seen lately there is snow up there.
This is true. Pics from the Saturday after Thanksgiving.

1998 TJ Moss [COLOR=darkgreen][B][SIZE=3]Green[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR] Sahara w/ numerous scratches & dents whose playground is on a tropical island that's 33 miles long and 4-12 miles wide, in year-round 82 degree weather.

[Edit] "Now jeepin in Oregon" [/Edit]
IslandTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2010, 02:33 PM   #5
Tinga
2002 TJ Wrangler 

^^^ HEY.....I know that Green Jeep!!!
Unread 12-08-2010, 03:44 PM   #6
IslandTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinga View Post
^^^ HEY.....I know that Green Jeep!!!
Yep, it's Rio .
1998 TJ Moss [COLOR=darkgreen][B][SIZE=3]Green[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR] Sahara w/ numerous scratches & dents whose playground is on a tropical island that's 33 miles long and 4-12 miles wide, in year-round 82 degree weather.

Unread 12-08-2010, 03:50 PM   #7
lupinsea
2001 TJ Wrangler 

The dunes are a fun place to play . . . if you're in a light weigh vehicle or have lots of power. And while Jeeps "can" go down there. I wouldn't take mine. I used to go down to Sandlake back in the day with my Samurai. Used to run circles around the Baja bug and a Suburban that went, too. Then with my sandrail (my goodness, it's a blast in the sandrail!). It's definitely some interesting terrain to play on. But I don't think I'd want to take my Jeep down there, especially if you want to keep it a while. Getting that sand in everything wears stuff out quickly.
Unread 12-08-2010, 03:51 PM   #8
nwAdamR
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feva View Post
I might be going to Browns on Sunday with a couple of buddys. I'm running a XJ on 31's, so nothing to extreme for me. I will post up later if its a go.
I also live in Aloha off Farmington.
Yeah? Cool! Keep me posted. I wouldn't be doing anything to extreme either... Just want to get out and drive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandTJ View Post
This is true. Pics from the Saturday after Thanksgiving.
You still think there's snow up there? Check it. I wouldn't mind some snow though!
Unread 12-08-2010, 03:56 PM   #9
nwAdamR
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupinsea View Post
The dunes are a fun place to play . . . if you're in a light weigh vehicle or have lots of power. And while Jeeps "can" go down there. I wouldn't take mine. I used to go down to Sandlake back in the day with my Samurai. Used to run circles around the Baja bug and a Suburban that went, too. Then with my sandrail (my goodness, it's a blast in the sandrail!). It's definitely some interesting terrain to play on. But I don't think I'd want to take my Jeep down there, especially if you want to keep it a while. Getting that sand in everything wears stuff out quickly.
Thanks for the advise. Really appreciate it!

Maybe the wet packed sand wouldn't be as bad as the dry summer sand. I've never been there, so I don't know what to expect. Can you just drive around on the beach?

Thanks again!
Unread 12-10-2010, 02:33 PM   #10
Feva
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwAdamR View Post
Yeah? Cool! Keep me posted. I wouldn't be doing anything to extreme either... Just want to get out and drive!
Looks like we'll be leaveing about 8:30/9am on sunday.
I'll PM you my number
Feva is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2010, 09:30 PM   #11
Outdoors
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I'll be at the Estacada Ranger station tomorrow, Saturday morning @ 930am for a snow run. Departing around 10am from there.
Might be Three Jk's rolling with us.
Two for sure. You are more than welcome to join us too. A Bronco, Explorer, 4runner will be with us as well so far.
later.
Unread 12-11-2010, 12:35 AM   #12
feuer895
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I was wondering if its not too late for me to tag along to browns on sunday as well and where you guys gonna meet up im in beaverton as well??
Unread 12-13-2010, 03:23 PM   #13
nwAdamR
2008 JK Wrangler 

Feva and feuer895 -- Thanks again for the good time at Browns on Sunday!

Until next time...

Unread 12-13-2010, 03:55 PM   #14
IslandTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Ah Cedar Tree trail. That's one of the longer trails in TSF. How did the Jeep do?

Unread 12-13-2010, 05:10 PM   #15
nwAdamR
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandTJ View Post
Ah Cedar Tree trail. That's one of the longer trails in TSF. How did the Jeep do?
For me being a rookie, and that being one of the first trails of the day, I was extremely impressed. Thanks for asking!

This was our route for the day: Garmin Connect - Brown's Camp

FYI: There was just a little bit of snow left to drive through up high. Nothing like your Thanksgiving day pictures though.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.