Jones creek exploring - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North West USA > Oregon Jeep Forum > Jones creek exploring

Smittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Alloy USA Still AvailableCurrie Currectlync Steering Upgrade Kits and Currie Anti-R

Unread 12-07-2011, 11:08 AM   #1
Sykd4MyWaggy
2007 JK Wrangler 

Jones creek exploring

A couple weeks ago just after I got my new JKU, I went up to the browns camp area mushroom hunting. I drove up a dirt pile that looked like the start of a trail and of course johnny law pulled up behind me. He was cool, gave me a fix it ticket for not having the right permit instead of throwing the book at me.
I had to drive all the way from Vancouver, WA to Tillamook, OR for court to take care of this little issue so on the way back, I thought I would check out the Jones Creek area and I snapped a couple pictures of the area. Nothing extreme, I just thought I would share.

and if anyone knows of a good website for the trails out there near browns camp and jones creek, please post it up. ... or even better, an app that has them as there is no cell reception out there. thx

view-top-2.jpg

view-top.jpg

It was 22 degrees outside when I stopped and took this shot. That water is amazing and I like how you can kinda get that bitter cold feeling from it in the picture.
jones-creek-blue-water.jpg

Sykd4MyWaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2011, 11:16 AM   #2
Noplainsdrifter
1974 CJ5 

Beautiful pictures! I sure love the Oregon Coast Range! Here is link to Tillamook State Forest's map.

http://www.oregon.gov/ODF/tillamooks...s/TSFOHV09.pdf
Unread 12-07-2011, 11:23 AM   #3
Shewoolf
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Best thing to have is that map! You can get a free copy at the Shell on 6 just east of the Browns/Rogers camp turn off.
Shewoolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2011, 02:26 PM   #4
Sykd4MyWaggy
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noplainsdrifter View Post
Beautiful pictures! I sure love the Oregon Coast Range! Here is link to Tillamook State Forest's map.

http://www.oregon.gov/ODF/tillamooks...s/TSFOHV09.pdf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shewoolf View Post
Best thing to have is that map! You can get a free copy at the Shell on 6 just east of the Browns/Rogers camp turn off.

Thanks for the info!! I will be hitting up the Shell and doin' some more exploring this weekend!
I live in Vancouver and I have always either headed North or East to go Camping (Stevenson/Carson areas & south St Helens), I have never gone south or west so this is all new territory for me.
Unread 12-07-2011, 04:13 PM   #5
IslandTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Location: where I wheel: N 45║ 36.663' W 123║ 20.935', Oregon
Nice Sahara .
1998 TJ Moss [COLOR=darkgreen][B][SIZE=3]Green[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR] Sahara w/ numerous scratches & dents whose playground is on a tropical island that's 33 miles long and 4-12 miles wide, in year-round 82 degree weather.

[Edit] "Now jeepin in Oregon" [/Edit]
IslandTJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2011, 04:36 PM   #6
Shewoolf
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Mt. Hood has some awesome places to explore also.

http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y25...208%20-7-2011/

http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y25...August%202011/
Unread 12-08-2011, 07:18 AM   #7
rubiconrich
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I agree that Oregon is a nice place to wheel. I, also, live in Vancouver and have done all of Clark and Skamania, Mt Adams area,as well as Helen's area. Then I went north to Naches, Randell, Rimrock. Did you check out those areas as there is some awesome trails and camping out there off of Rte 12. There are also some ridge line power line trails out by Three Corner Rock that are pucker factors...did you do them?
rubiconrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2011, 09:11 AM   #8
Sykd4MyWaggy
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubiconrich View Post
I agree that Oregon is a nice place to wheel. I, also, live in Vancouver and have done all of Clark and Skamania, Mt Adams area,as well as Helen's area. Then I went north to Naches, Randell, Rimrock. Did you check out those areas as there is some awesome trails and camping out there off of Rte 12. There are also some ridge line power line trails out by Three Corner Rock that are pucker factors...did you do them?

Naches, Randel, Rimrock.... I have heard of randel and Naches but have never been to any.. doing a Naches trip is on the list for 2012 and it looks like I will be adding...

I thought I had explored our great state quite well but ever since I have discovered what this "jeep thing" is, I have realized that I am just getting started, the last thirty years were tame compared to whats coming for me in the next thirty. Time to get to work!
Unread 12-08-2011, 07:23 PM   #9
rubiconrich
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Also try around Trout Lake and work your way towards Adams. Go west of Longview, plenty of mountains there. Here's a good one....go to Sunset Camp, go over the bridge towards where the ranger lives, make a right instead of the left and follow that. Hardly anyone uses that old trail. There's a mine up there on the right, a ways in. Heck, go up Jackson Pass. Instead of making the right on top, go thru the gate on the right side. Awesome trails in there. Go up to 4 corners and past the prison, make a left at the cold creek camp grounds. Instead of going into the camp, go straight over a huge berm.
Unread 12-09-2011, 07:35 AM   #10
Noplainsdrifter
1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Also try around Trout Lake and work your way towards Adams. Go west of Longview, plenty of mountains there. Here's a good one....go to Sunset Camp, go over the bridge towards where the ranger lives, make a right instead of the left and follow that. Hardly anyone uses that old trail. There's a mine up there on the right, a ways in. Heck, go up Jackson Pass. Instead of making the right on top, go thru the gate on the right side. Awesome trails in there. Go up to 4 corners and past the prison, make a left at the cold creek camp grounds. Instead of going into the camp, go straight over a huge berm.
I hate to sound negative, but you say go around the gate in one spot and go over the berm in another. It kind of sounds like those are there to keep people out? Don't like illegal wheelin.

Correct me if I'm wrong...
Unread 12-09-2011, 10:26 AM   #11
Racincowboy
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I know it has been some time since I have been on this board due to working out of town ect. I am a member of Pistonswild, a motorsports club that has been working for the past 4+ years on getting legal trails in the Jones Creek/ Jackson Pass Washington area that you are referring to.

Please stay on the gravel roads only and do not go around any gates or over any berms. We have thousands of hours invested in this project and are getting closer by the day to have a legal place for everyone to go wheel. As of right now there are no legal areas up there for 4wd vehicles.

The only legal area is for motorcycles and atvs at Jones Creek. There is A, B, C loop trails for the motorcyle and quads. Go to www.JCTRA.com for up to date info for these trails.

Info about the proposed trails can be found at our website which is www.pistonswild.com and click on the forum tab on your left. There is a section for Yacolt burn trail updates as we get them. Work parties on the 4 wheel drive trails are going to start in the spring and we can use all the help we can get. The forum is free and we encourage all to check it out and register so you will get email updates for work parties.

Thank you for helping us, to build trails for everyone to play on close to home.

Should you have any other questions ect feel free to pm me here or go to the pistonswild forum I have the same Racincowboy sn over there as well.

Thanks again for your help.
Lance

Check us out at WWW.Pistonswild.com
Racincowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2011, 11:14 AM   #12
Corcor4
1990 XJ Cherokee 

why did i have a dream about this thread last night and everyone trying to convince u to not hurt urself...
Corcor4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2011, 01:05 PM   #13
Shewoolf
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corcor4 View Post
why did i have a dream about this thread last night and everyone trying to convince u to not hurt urself...
Because you are a dork ???
Unread 12-09-2011, 01:32 PM   #14
rubiconrich
2004 TJ Wrangler 

When I was a youngster, there was an old lady that lived up on Jackson Pass. I used to visit her. It was ok to do so back then. When you walk with respect for Nature as we were taught in the old days, you don't damage anything. The mountains I speak of were free once. There wasn't the damage that I see now-a-days. I will not give up my freedom to travel these hills as I feel I am doing nothing wrong. I don't even leave tracks where I go. There are some old men still living up in those mountains.
I hear about you building those trails for jeeps and other offroad vehicles. You see, in my eyes, you are screwing up the land. I believe that people should respect Nature and not build areas for ripping up the land. Besides, your orv park is artificial. I understand that it is now politically correct to ride the trails in Tillamook. Measure your manhood in doing so. I live up top with a small pack of wolves. I travel the ridgelines and don't see another soul near me. When I grew up there was room to travel. Now, your modern ways sold the forest to people who are raping it for a dollar. Alcoa dumped their pollution in your soil, never heard anyone griping about that! I'm old and I'll one day die up there but I'll die as a free man.....walking my mountains. I've been in the woods for decades, many decades.
Unread 12-09-2011, 02:43 PM   #15
Racincowboy
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
When I was a youngster, there was an old lady that lived up on Jackson Pass. I used to visit her. It was ok to do so back then. When you walk with respect for Nature as we were taught in the old days, you don't damage anything. The mountains I speak of were free once. There wasn't the damage that I see now-a-days. I will not give up my freedom to travel these hills as I feel I am doing nothing wrong. I don't even leave tracks where I go. There are some old men still living up in those mountains.
I hear about you building those trails for jeeps and other offroad vehicles. You see, in my eyes, you are screwing up the land. I believe that people should respect Nature and not build areas for ripping up the land. Besides, your orv park is artificial. I understand that it is now politically correct to ride the trails in Tillamook. Measure your manhood in doing so. I live up top with a small pack of wolves. I travel the ridgelines and don't see another soul near me. When I grew up there was room to travel. Now, your modern ways sold the forest to people who are raping it for a dollar. Alcoa dumped their pollution in your soil, never heard anyone griping about that! I'm old and I'll one day die up there but I'll die as a free man.....walking my mountains. I've been in the woods for decades, many decades.

While I appreciate your reply no one is asking you to stay out of the woods. Feel free to walk wherever it is you see fit. I encourage you to walk the ridgelines and enjoy the forest.

I do enjoy traveling the woods as well in Tillamook and several other places around the country. I like to take in the beauty of nature as much as the next person. But when I am in a vehicle (doesnt matter what kind of vehicle) I abide by the laws and do not go into closed areas or around gates or over berms to get to where I want to go. I merely get out on my trusty two feet and go.

I am merely asking you to stay on the legal gravel roads in the Yacolt Burn area with your vehicle. That is all. I too have been in the woods for decades not as many as you perhaps but none the less I too have been there for decades. Good day to you sir.

Check us out at WWW.Pistonswild.com
Racincowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.