How's Oregon? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North West USA > Oregon Jeep Forum > How's Oregon?

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 02-10-2009, 09:14 AM   #16
Sambox
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Well, I appreciate all the info and opinions. Something else I am concerned about is the liberal nature of the state. I am all for protecting the environment but not to an extreme.

I just read an article that stated Oregon legislatures are trying to pass a law prohibiting vehicle modifications. I can't deal with that kind of crap. Is there a lot of stuff like that up there?

I know you're not allowed to pump your own gas...which never made any sense to me. You also don't pay sales tax right?

1996 Cherokee XJ, All stock except for a Flow Master exhaust.........for now. He He.

http://www.cityprofile.com/forum/tucson/
Sambox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2009, 11:11 AM   #17
aaron1981
1999 TJ Wrangler 

It is only liberal in major city's Eugene, Portland. As soon as you get out of town it is very redneck. As for the truck mods havn't heard anything about that. The lift law for the state is like 14ft for the truck height since that is the lowest bridge or something like that. I don't mind them pumping my gas. It is the only state I think that does that now. We don't pay sales tax but we do pay state tax. It think it is kinda a wash for most people. My mom loves coming down from Washington and visiting me so she can buys stuff with out paying sales tax.
aaron1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2009, 11:19 AM   #18
damage inc.
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Xj

i agree with you. i recently became aware of the new legislation.and i don't know of a club around thats not fighting HARD! personally i wouldn't consider us a "radical" state, but there is a good sized hippie tree huggin! mostly in the valley. i personally run w/ Deschutes County 4WHLRS (.com) and they are VERY INVOLVED!!.We had a monthly meeting sunday w/ national forest service present!
damage inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2009, 08:55 AM   #19
Rock Dawg 97124
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I would also say all the 4x4 clubs are fighting Hard (in and out) of Oregon to keep our trails open. I run with a group outside of Portland (http://poorboy1.proboards31.com/index.cgi) and we are always fighting the different issues. Here is one example just posted today (from a fellow poorboy) below for all to read...

It seems that our Governor does not have enough pressing issues to deal with like the economy, unemployment, illegals, and the school systems, so he went and got the speaker of the house to introduce HB 2186, the link to the full bill and a list of representitives on the comittee that working on the bill are below, basically they want to ban the sale and distrobution of after market parts in the state if it affects greenhouse gasses. Now my experience with the government is if they get a foot they will take 100 miles so this idea scares the !@#$ out of me. The first thing they want to limit or control is tires.
In the SEMA link there is contact info for all the members of the committee and yesterday I contacted everyone of their offices and voiced my displeasure. I also called my distric representitive and left a message on the Governor's comment line. It took about 15 to 20 min and even if it did not help at least I tried. All the representitive's secretaries noted the oposition and about half said they have been recieving tons of calls against this bill. It seems it is making noise on lots of car and truck forums and some shops in the area are sending out emails urging people to contact the idiots in Salem.
I know the people on Poorboy have done lots of things to help TSF and other causes and if this bill gets passed it could hurt everyone of us in some way or another. Please if you can call the people listed in the link, your district representitive, and even the Governor and tell them you disagree with the bill.

http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?id=62515

http://www.leg.state.or.us/09reg/mea...2186.intro.pdf

MAIL
Governor Kulongoski
160 State Capitol
900 Court Street
Salem, Oregon 97301-4047

PHONE
Governorís Citizensí Representative Message Line
FAX
Unread 02-18-2009, 04:18 PM   #20
SmashinTJs
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I doubt the vehicle law will pass. It is unconstitutional.

Anyway..... yea the cities are pretty liberal but its easy to tune out of there crap. It was said above that once your out of the cities you lose the hippiness. That is very true, most of the people outside of Portland and Eugene are pretty conservative and down to earth people.

TJ TECH BOOT CAMP: READ IF NEW

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tj-tech-boot-camp-must-read-new-tj-owners-forum-members-722109/
Help us form the JF Search and Rescue Team
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/jf-rescue-704069/
Quote:
Originally Posted by scavanau View Post
Is that bumper weighted to keep you from catching air at highway speed?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthWhiteWolf View Post
Well no (why would it) :confused:
Quote:
Originally Posted by scavanau View Post
Because I think your fender flares could easily pass for wings
SmashinTJs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2009, 11:42 PM   #21
larryjbutler1
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Tj

Eugene is cool, the work front could be better but really depends on what type of work you do. Wheeling is good just hook up with a club and they can show you around. The weather is moderate 2 weeks of real cold (in the 20ís) and 2 weeks of very hot (for our area 101') the rest is 45 to 75 degrees rain in the winter months but is fairly dry 5 month out of the year and we always have 2 weeks in February that is in the 70's and sunny. It gets dark early in the winter and stays light late in the summer. I love Eugene because you are 1 hour from the beach and dunes 1 hour to the mountains and 2 ski resorts 1 hour to 7 lakes and 6 rivers it really is a sportsmenís dream and with all the scenery you could want. Good luck with the move.
larryjbutler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2009, 05:22 PM   #22
lupinsea
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I can't speak to specifics in OR but it's a beautiful state. My family has some property along the Oregon coast we've had for maybe 90 - 100 years so I've gone own there my hole life for vacations and visits (Rockaway, OR between Canon Beach and Tillamook). Recently my wife and I split out OR visits between the family beach cabin and Portland.

As others have said, OR and WA share many similarities in terms of beautiful geography and incredible outdoor recreation opportunities. I'd hazard a comment that WA has more wheel'n places and trail net works but OR isn't too shabby and I'm not that familiar with the ORV trail situation down there as well, I know there's Browns Camp and Virtue Flats that come up in discussion frequently, and a new trail was recently opened. What OR does have that WA doesn't is some incredible dune areas for running ATVs and Sandrails. Just phenomenal dunes. And from Eugene I think they are may be 2hrs away on the coast. . . a coast that is far nicer than Washington's, BTW. Both for spending time on the beach and for driving up and down an exploring the coastal communities.

Politically, OR is a very liberal state, similar to WA (probably a bit more so?) but that main demographic is in the more densely populated area around the big cities such as Portland. Outside of that in the surround rural areas I wouldn't be surprised if it's similar to WA in that the outlying areas are far more conservative. Still, its the more populated liberal areas which control state politics.

Tax wise it's maybe a wash between OR and WA. OR has no sales taxes but it has an income tax and I think property taxes are a bit higher. WA has no income tax but we have a sales tax and property taxes. Inevitably there is usually recriminations come budget "crisises" where polititans from each state lament how backward their state's tax system is and things would only be better if their state adopted the other state's tax system. Only thing is that it doesn't really matter much as each system has their pros and cons and it all equals out in the end. As it is, I appreciate not paying sales tax in OR but I'm just fine not having an income tax in WA.

Overall job wise I think the economy is a little harder hit in OR than WA but I don't think it's significantly worse and I think the NW region in general is about on par with the national average. Again, it all depends on what field you're in.

Weather wise the NW is reasonably moderate through out the year near the costal zone due to the ocean's moderating effect. It doesn't get super cold, nor super hot. You don't really have humidity problems, no nasty deadly bugs or snakes to worry about. It's a pretty mild place to live as far as that goes.

If you're considering the NW then scope out the whole region as it's hard to go wrong anywhere. There are several colleges and Universities all over the place with a bunch in the Seattle area to inquire at, too.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.