Help needed in Corvallis! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North West USA > Oregon Jeep Forum > Help needed in Corvallis!

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-18-2011, 04:04 AM   #1
marksman1941
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Help needed in Corvallis!

All righty. So, it is currently 2:53 am in Corvallis. 45 minutes ago, my friend knocked on my dorm room door and said he needed a ride to Salem, where we would meet his parents, who would then take him to a hopsital in Portland. Still not sure what is wrong with him. Something with his teeth. But his parents are nearly here, so he'll be on his way shortly.

Anyways, after a quick once over, I jumped in my Jeep and drove over to his car (~60 feet). It was making a weird grinding noise, and I stopped twice to look around for it. Couldn't pinpoint it, stopped by his car and started doing some testing. Found out I could only turn the tires to straight and left. When they hit straight they stopped. I get out and look again, and find this

So, being as how it's 3 am, I'm exhausted, and really don't have much experience, how hard of a fix will this be? And I guess the help part is, if it's an easy fix that won't require my dad to come all the way up from Medford with a trailer, does anyone have a garage and some experience that might be able to help me? Thank you soooooo much for any help. I'll post up in the morning once I talk to my dad.

marksman1941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2011, 07:08 AM   #2
GrouchyTim
1988 YJ Wrangler 

It's possible you didn't screw up too much. If you are not going to do a ton of hard driving you can get it rolling again with a castle nut and a cotter pin. Get the castle nut from an auto parts store (they should be able to tell you which one you need) and a cotter pin which they should also have. May cost you a couple bucks tops. Then tighten the nut on tight and put the cotter pin thru the hole and bend it up so it won't come out again. Keep an eye on your steering components. That could have been disasterous.
Unread 03-18-2011, 10:20 AM   #3
marksman1941
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Thank you. I just got off the phone with my dad, and he said about the same thing. The werid thing is, my jeep has sat for the past month. I drive home for a weekend (freeway only) came back (also freeway only), had no troubles either way. It sat for a month, and when I jumped in, thi happened. There is no castle nut in that parking lot. Which means A) I lost it a while ago, and got lucky it didn't come apart til now, or B) Someone really doesn't like me.
Unread 03-18-2011, 02:15 PM   #4
marksman1941
1989 XJ Cherokee 

All right. Crisis averted. It wasn much simpler than I expected. I guess everything looks worse at 3 am when you're already stressed, lol.
Unread 03-18-2011, 08:04 PM   #5
c-longm2
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Ryan, time to get a newer kee!
How is school going, and give me a day when you think you can start work so I can let the people know.
Take care.
c-longm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2011, 09:45 AM   #6
marksman1941
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-longm2 View Post
Ryan, time to get a newer kee!
How is school going, and give me a day when you think you can start work so I can let the people know.
Take care.
I definitely agree on that! I'm going to save up everything I earn this summer, and search for something newer and more reliable. A 96-97 would be best, but anything above 92 would be better than what I have now. I'll check on what day my last term ends and give you a call this afternoon.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.