Help a college students jeep. Clutch Problem! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North West USA > Oregon Jeep Forum > Help a college students jeep. Clutch Problem!

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 01-20-2013, 09:58 PM   #1
94built

Unhappy Help a college students jeep. Clutch Problem!

Hey fellow Jeepers,
I am in need of some serious help! My '94 YJ Jeep Wrangler is having a clutch problem. When the vehicle is on and I try to switch gears it makes this horrible grinding noise. Especially when put into reverse, it is almost impossible to get it in/out of reverse. At first I did some research and it seemed to be the clutch fluid was low. So that day I got the cap off looked at the fluid. It was low but not terribly low. Well I went and got some DOT 3 anyway and filled it up and pumped the clutch. Nothing. Problem is still there. I talked to my uncle back in Iowa today (previous mechanic for 20+years) He didn't think it was the clutch going out since it only happened when the vehicle is on. (Goes into gear perfectly fine when turned off) So what he suggested was one of three things. 1 to bleed the fluid. Maybe some air just got in -simple easy fix I can do- 2. Some thing has come lose and needs to be tighten -again simple- 3. The disc is dragging and needs to be adjusted. I have no clue how this is done or if this is even the problem. So here is the deal 1. I would love to hear input from you guys(and gals?) about other possible problems/solutions for me since I am not very well rounded in mechanics, I am also a 19 year old college student paying my own way through college, so taking it to the shop is pretty much out of the question. Now I do have 2 hands and am fairly quick at picking things up and accomplishing them. If you can help with advice, a phone call, or even a meet up. I would truly be thankful! If able to do a meet up my gas money is limited and I only get 15 miles to the gallon, so the closer you are the better for me. Again I greatly appreciate any and all help with this problem. I just would prefer to drive my beloved jeep, instead of using my jeep bike everywhere. Thank you all again for your kindness and time
-Noel

94built is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2013, 04:08 PM   #2
OR-TJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

You should post this in the YJ forum, get a lot more eyes on it there. Good luck
OR-TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2013, 11:20 PM   #3
W7NB
2013 JK Wrangler 

Is this a 4 cyl or 6 cyl? Big difference in the AX5 and AX15. Could be that the clutch needs to be bled. How long since a transmission fluid change?

1985 CJ7 With HO 4.0 Conversion
2013 JK
W7NB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2013, 07:11 PM   #4
94built

6 cyl, I have not changed the transmission fluid since 2010
94built is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.