good place to go off-roading first time(portland oregon) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North West USA > Oregon Jeep Forum > good place to go off-roading first time(portland oregon)

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 08-17-2009, 04:30 PM   #1
mokthraka
1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

good place to go off-roading first time(portland oregon)

so I live in portland oregon and just got my jeep. never went off-roading wonder a good place to go for my first time nothing really crazy.

wont be doing it for a month or 2 since i need to change my brakes from manual to power and drum to disc. and raise it 4-6"

I know of browns camp but there are so many people on ATV's and dirt bikes. if anyone has been there latley though. is the shooting range open again? or is it closed for good? i miss that place. I just read all the mining crap was took out in june and its open agian! just wondering if anyone can confirm this

mokthraka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2009, 10:39 PM   #2
phillsam
1993 YJ Wrangler 

im going to bump this to the top...

just moved back to the portland/beaverton area

Any places closer than browns camp?
Unread 09-07-2009, 12:40 PM   #3
IslandTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Location: where I wheel: N 45║ 36.663' W 123║ 20.935', Oregon
For PDX/Beaverton, TSF or Browns camp is the closest legal OHV trailing area. The designated shooting quarry is open.

Many trails for a stock Jeep to play. I was just there yesterday, and there weren't that many bikes or quads on the class II trails. I was mostly on the Archers Firebreak trail.

1998 TJ Moss [COLOR=darkgreen][B][SIZE=3]Green[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR] Sahara w/ numerous scratches & dents whose playground is on a tropical island that's 33 miles long and 4-12 miles wide, in year-round 82 degree weather.

[Edit] "Now jeepin in Oregon" [/Edit]
IslandTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2009, 12:51 AM   #4
ReconBen
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I went to the "dirt church" last weekend. it is new (built within the year) off of highway 30 just past Bradley hill and Westport. only about 1-2 hour drive.
ReconBen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2009, 08:30 AM   #5
IslandTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmymanYJ View Post
I went to the "dirt church" last weekend. it is new (built within the year) off of highway 30 just past Bradley hill and Westport. only about 1-2 hour drive.
Tried searching, couldn't locate. Do you have specifics?
1998 TJ Moss [COLOR=darkgreen][B][SIZE=3]Green[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR] Sahara w/ numerous scratches & dents whose playground is on a tropical island that's 33 miles long and 4-12 miles wide, in year-round 82 degree weather.

Unread 09-10-2009, 01:22 PM   #6
ReconBen
1987 YJ Wrangler 

According to the department of forrestry it was finished August 15th or atleast thats when they put the rules out. I can't find a site for it, but it may just be because how new it is. here are directions of someone gets bored though.

I-5 north to Longview,
Cross Longview bridge into Oregon,
Take a right at end of bridge onto Highway 30,
Follow highway 30 threw Clatskinine, and Westport.
After you get threw westport you'll start heading up a huge hill (Bradley Hill to be exact)
about 1/4 mile past the bradley hill view point(top of hill) take a left
the road is unmarked as far as name. Although thier was a sign saying dirt church on it on monday. but once on it you should see huge powerlines, you know your in the right place.

If you dont have time to take a chance and explore I will head back that direction in a week or two. so I can just post lots of pictures on landmarks on the way thier. and trails of course.

Also it is mainly a quading area, but Jones Creek Trail system in Washougal is close, and lots of fun. Jeeps are aloud thier but the trail info says not reccomended, But as long as your not driving like an idiot you'll be fine. Although for Jones creek you need a permit. heres a link
Jones Creek Trail System - Washington Motorcycle and ATV Trails
if it doesn't work sign up for the site and then use it.

Sorry I am so long winded, I hope someone can find something useful in my jabber.
Unread 09-10-2009, 04:14 PM   #7
Racincowboy
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
According to the department of forrestry it was finished August 15th or atleast thats when they put the rules out. I can't find a site for it, but it may just be because how new it is. here are directions of someone gets bored though.

I-5 north to Longview,
Cross Longview bridge into Oregon,
Take a right at end of bridge onto Highway 30,
Follow highway 30 threw Clatskinine, and Westport.
After you get threw westport you'll start heading up a huge hill (Bradley Hill to be exact)
about 1/4 mile past the bradley hill view point(top of hill) take a left
the road is unmarked as far as name. Although thier was a sign saying dirt church on it on monday. but once on it you should see huge powerlines, you know your in the right place.

If you dont have time to take a chance and explore I will head back that direction in a week or two. so I can just post lots of pictures on landmarks on the way thier. and trails of course.

Also it is mainly a quading area, but Jones Creek Trail system in Washougal is close, and lots of fun. Jeeps are aloud thier but the trail info says not reccomended, But as long as your not driving like an idiot you'll be fine. Although for Jones creek you need a permit. heres a link
Jones Creek Trail System - Washington Motorcycle and ATV Trails
if it doesn't work sign up for the site and then use it.

Sorry I am so long winded, I hope someone can find something useful in my jabber.

Jones creek is just for atv's and motorcycles. Jeeps are allowed up there but are to stay on the gravel forest roads only. There is no legal 4x4 trails up there yet.

My club pistonswild has been working on getting legal 4x4 trails up in the Jones Creek area for the past 2.5 years. Good news now after 6000+ volunteer hours we have receieved word that we have gotten them approved. We still have a sepa study to go through but should be able to begin construction on the legal 4x4 trails this winter and we hope to have some open and ready for business by may 2010. If you would like to help with construction or volunteer please visit Home and sign up for the forum that will keep you up to date on this project.

If you are going to go up there in your jeep please stay on the gravel forest roads only. We are having a Clean up up there 9/26 with free doughnuts (courtesy of Woody's 4x4) and coffee for breakfast and a free lunch (courtesy of Pacific Northwest 4 wheel drive association) for all volunteers. Registration is at 8am at Jones Creek OHV parking lot.

Sorry for the longwinded post but below is how all these new trails came about. Go to this post it will give you all the info you need.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f157/...urn-wa-841881/

Thank you
Lance Schiedler
Home
Charter Member

Check us out at WWW.Pistonswild.com

Last edited by Racincowboy; 09-10-2009 at 04:30 PM..
Racincowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2009, 04:25 PM   #8
IslandTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I hope someone can find something useful in my jabber.
It was useful, thanks .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racincowboy View Post
My club pistonswild has been working on getting legal 4x4 trails up in the Jones Creek area for the past 2.5 years. Good news now after 6000+ volunteer hours we have receieved word that we have gotten them approved.
Racincowboy, mahalo to you and your club for keeping our wheelin positive and alive in the PNW .

Unread 09-10-2009, 05:15 PM   #9
Racincowboy
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandTJ View Post
It was useful, thanks .

Racincowboy, mahalo to you and your club for keeping our wheelin positive and alive in the PNW .

Thank you Island TJ we like to play hard as well. This project has taken alot of blood, sweat and tears so far it is only going to get better as we can get out there and start building trails. You guys are going to like what you will see up there as we get them open. Beautiful views of surrounding mountains.

If you want up to the minute updates and other motorsports activities around the northwest go sign up for our forum at Home. I try and cross post everything 4x4 related over here as well but I cant always get to everything. We are a motorsports club into 4x4 racing, atvs, motorcyles, snowmobiles, sprint boat racing, drag racing and of course trail riding in our jeeps.

Again thank you for the kind words you dont know how much it means to us when we have hit roadblocks along the way its you guys that keep us motivated to get the job done.

Check us out at WWW.Pistonswild.com
Racincowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2009, 10:33 PM   #10
czjeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Yj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racincowboy View Post
Thank you Island TJ we like to play hard as well. This project has taken alot of blood, sweat and tears so far it is only going to get better as we can get out there and start building trails. You guys are going to like what you will see up there as we get them open. Beautiful views of surrounding mountains.

If you want up to the minute updates and other motorsports activities around the northwest go sign up for our forum at Home. I try and cross post everything 4x4 related over here as well but I cant always get to everything. We are a motorsports club into 4x4 racing, atvs, motorcyles, snowmobiles, sprint boat racing, drag racing and of course trail riding in our jeeps.

Again thank you for the kind words you dont know how much it means to us when we have hit roadblocks along the way its you guys that keep us motivated to get the job done.

Cool info.
I signed up.
Hope I can help out someday. I'm in Washougal.
Armed Forces Jeeps Member #125
Red Jeep Club Member #251

In the Portland/Vancouver area? Check 'em out! Piston's Wild Motorsports Club

Click here for 2.5L AX5 to AX15 swap
czjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2009, 01:29 PM   #11
Roye77
2011 JK Wrangler 

Jordan creek up towards Archers has some good trails they head towards Browns camp and Lyda (not sure about the spelling) camp. I do these all the time with my kids and wife. By the way anyone looking for a wheeling partner on a weekend I live in Tillamook so I'm close by and always interested just PM me.
Unread 05-24-2010, 04:12 AM   #12
AniesR
2002 WJ 

Hey everyone. Ive got a RWD WJ and wondering if its worth taking it on a trail. I REALLY wanna take it out on one, but not sure if I can even take it. Im in Beaverton and looking to find a nice trail in the area, thanks.
AniesR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2010, 04:54 AM   #13
ReconBen
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Someone may disagree but personally I would suggest keeping it on firebreak roads as it is only 2 wheel drive. however if you check the longbeach thread out you will see that a bunch are going on June 13th I believe is the date. and you can have a bit of fun out their knowing you are in good hands of fellow members to help you out when you bury it. It would be nice if you can get ATLEAST one tow point though so you can be pulled out without harming your vehicle regardless what you decide. however if your on longbeach it is sand and I can lend you a shovel and 2 hands to help dig. and welcome to the forum.
Unread 05-26-2010, 01:00 PM   #14
SmashinTJs
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Ben,

Anymore info on the Dirt Church?

Steve

TJ TECH BOOT CAMP: READ IF NEW

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tj-tech-boot-camp-must-read-new-tj-owners-forum-members-722109/
Help us form the JF Search and Rescue Team
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/jf-rescue-704069/
Quote:
Originally Posted by scavanau View Post
Is that bumper weighted to keep you from catching air at highway speed?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthWhiteWolf View Post
Well no (why would it) :confused:
Quote:
Originally Posted by scavanau View Post
Because I think your fender flares could easily pass for wings
SmashinTJs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2010, 04:36 PM   #15
ReconBen
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmashinTJs View Post
Ben,

Anymore info on the Dirt Church?

Steve
Eh looks like I am headed to the coast this weekend and I have to drive right past it, I will post some pictures and see if i can dig up any more info. I was out their early April and it is still open, and I didn't see one other person out their other then a logging truck on the main line.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.