good place to go off-roading first time(portland oregon) - JeepForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 08-17-2009, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
mokthraka
Registered User
1973 FSJ Wagoneer 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Oregon
Posts: 21
good place to go off-roading first time(portland oregon)

so I live in portland oregon and just got my jeep. never went off-roading wonder a good place to go for my first time nothing really crazy.

wont be doing it for a month or 2 since i need to change my brakes from manual to power and drum to disc. and raise it 4-6"

I know of browns camp but there are so many people on ATV's and dirt bikes. if anyone has been there latley though. is the shooting range open again? or is it closed for good? i miss that place. I just read all the mining crap was took out in june and its open agian! just wondering if anyone can confirm this

mokthraka is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 22 Old 09-06-2009, 09:39 PM
phillsam
Registered User
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Portland/Beaverton, Oregon
Posts: 339
im going to bump this to the top...

just moved back to the portland/beaverton area

Any places closer than browns camp?

'93 YJ 2.5L 5spd,4" RC,33x12.5 trXus m/t,Rock-it intake,Clifford Performance header,Gibson cat-back, Mustang 19#Injectors, 3in BL(PO),5/8" Book Shackles
...homebrew rear bumper, boom shackles,ammo can speakers, center console sub, and sway bar discos,hi-lift/hood light bar... pics in build thread!
phillsam is offline  
post #3 of 22 Old 09-07-2009, 11:40 AM
IslandTJ
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: where I wheel: N 45║ 36.663' W 123║ 20.935'
Posts: 3,467
For PDX/Beaverton, TSF or Browns camp is the closest legal OHV trailing area. The designated shooting quarry is open.

Many trails for a stock Jeep to play. I was just there yesterday, and there weren't that many bikes or quads on the class II trails. I was mostly on the Archers Firebreak trail.


1998 Sahara TJ

Now Jeeping in Oregon
IslandTJ is offline  
post #4 of 22 Old 09-09-2009, 11:51 PM
ReconBen
Registered User
1987 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 694
I went to the "dirt church" last weekend. it is new (built within the year) off of highway 30 just past Bradley hill and Westport. only about 1-2 hour drive.
ReconBen is offline  
post #5 of 22 Old 09-10-2009, 07:30 AM
IslandTJ
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: where I wheel: N 45║ 36.663' W 123║ 20.935'
Posts: 3,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmymanYJ View Post
I went to the "dirt church" last weekend. it is new (built within the year) off of highway 30 just past Bradley hill and Westport. only about 1-2 hour drive.
Tried searching, couldn't locate. Do you have specifics?

1998 Sahara TJ

Now Jeeping in Oregon
IslandTJ is offline  
post #6 of 22 Old 09-10-2009, 12:22 PM
ReconBen
Registered User
1987 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 694
According to the department of forrestry it was finished August 15th or atleast thats when they put the rules out. I can't find a site for it, but it may just be because how new it is. here are directions of someone gets bored though.

I-5 north to Longview,
Cross Longview bridge into Oregon,
Take a right at end of bridge onto Highway 30,
Follow highway 30 threw Clatskinine, and Westport.
After you get threw westport you'll start heading up a huge hill (Bradley Hill to be exact)
about 1/4 mile past the bradley hill view point(top of hill) take a left
the road is unmarked as far as name. Although thier was a sign saying dirt church on it on monday. but once on it you should see huge powerlines, you know your in the right place.

If you dont have time to take a chance and explore I will head back that direction in a week or two. so I can just post lots of pictures on landmarks on the way thier. and trails of course.


Also it is mainly a quading area, but Jones Creek Trail system in Washougal is close, and lots of fun. Jeeps are aloud thier but the trail info says not reccomended, But as long as your not driving like an idiot you'll be fine. Although for Jones creek you need a permit. heres a link
Jones Creek Trail System - Washington Motorcycle and ATV Trails
if it doesn't work sign up for the site and then use it.

Sorry I am so long winded, I hope someone can find something useful in my jabber.
ReconBen is offline  
post #7 of 22 Old 09-10-2009, 03:14 PM
Racincowboy
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Boring Oregon
Posts: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmymanYJ View Post
According to the department of forrestry it was finished August 15th or atleast thats when they put the rules out. I can't find a site for it, but it may just be because how new it is. here are directions of someone gets bored though.

I-5 north to Longview,
Cross Longview bridge into Oregon,
Take a right at end of bridge onto Highway 30,
Follow highway 30 threw Clatskinine, and Westport.
After you get threw westport you'll start heading up a huge hill (Bradley Hill to be exact)
about 1/4 mile past the bradley hill view point(top of hill) take a left
the road is unmarked as far as name. Although thier was a sign saying dirt church on it on monday. but once on it you should see huge powerlines, you know your in the right place.

If you dont have time to take a chance and explore I will head back that direction in a week or two. so I can just post lots of pictures on landmarks on the way thier. and trails of course.


Also it is mainly a quading area, but Jones Creek Trail system in Washougal is close, and lots of fun. Jeeps are aloud thier but the trail info says not reccomended, But as long as your not driving like an idiot you'll be fine. Although for Jones creek you need a permit. heres a link
Jones Creek Trail System - Washington Motorcycle and ATV Trails
if it doesn't work sign up for the site and then use it.

Sorry I am so long winded, I hope someone can find something useful in my jabber.

Jones creek is just for atv's and motorcycles. Jeeps are allowed up there but are to stay on the gravel forest roads only. There is no legal 4x4 trails up there yet.

My club pistonswild has been working on getting legal 4x4 trails up in the Jones Creek area for the past 2.5 years. Good news now after 6000+ volunteer hours we have receieved word that we have gotten them approved. We still have a sepa study to go through but should be able to begin construction on the legal 4x4 trails this winter and we hope to have some open and ready for business by may 2010. If you would like to help with construction or volunteer please visit Home and sign up for the forum that will keep you up to date on this project.

If you are going to go up there in your jeep please stay on the gravel forest roads only. We are having a Clean up up there 9/26 with free doughnuts (courtesy of Woody's 4x4) and coffee for breakfast and a free lunch (courtesy of Pacific Northwest 4 wheel drive association) for all volunteers. Registration is at 8am at Jones Creek OHV parking lot.

Sorry for the longwinded post but below is how all these new trails came about. Go to this post it will give you all the info you need.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f157/...urn-wa-841881/

Thank you
Lance Schiedler
Home
Charter Member

99 TJ 2.5" OME lift, 1" body lift, Poison spyder tube fenders yada yada yada too much more to list.

Check us out at WWW.Pistonswild.com

Last edited by Racincowboy; 09-10-2009 at 03:30 PM.
Racincowboy is offline  
post #8 of 22 Old 09-10-2009, 03:25 PM
IslandTJ
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: where I wheel: N 45║ 36.663' W 123║ 20.935'
Posts: 3,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmymanYJ View Post
I hope someone can find something useful in my jabber.
It was useful, thanks .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racincowboy View Post
My club pistonswild has been working on getting legal 4x4 trails up in the Jones Creek area for the past 2.5 years. Good news now after 6000+ volunteer hours we have receieved word that we have gotten them approved.
Racincowboy, mahalo to you and your club for keeping our wheelin positive and alive in the PNW .

1998 Sahara TJ

Now Jeeping in Oregon
IslandTJ is offline  
post #9 of 22 Old 09-10-2009, 04:15 PM
Racincowboy
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Boring Oregon
Posts: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandTJ View Post
It was useful, thanks .



Racincowboy, mahalo to you and your club for keeping our wheelin positive and alive in the PNW .

Thank you Island TJ we like to play hard as well. This project has taken alot of blood, sweat and tears so far it is only going to get better as we can get out there and start building trails. You guys are going to like what you will see up there as we get them open. Beautiful views of surrounding mountains.

If you want up to the minute updates and other motorsports activities around the northwest go sign up for our forum at Home. I try and cross post everything 4x4 related over here as well but I cant always get to everything. We are a motorsports club into 4x4 racing, atvs, motorcyles, snowmobiles, sprint boat racing, drag racing and of course trail riding in our jeeps.

Again thank you for the kind words you dont know how much it means to us when we have hit roadblocks along the way its you guys that keep us motivated to get the job done.

99 TJ 2.5" OME lift, 1" body lift, Poison spyder tube fenders yada yada yada too much more to list.

Check us out at WWW.Pistonswild.com
Racincowboy is offline  
post #10 of 22 Old 10-09-2009, 09:33 PM
czjeeper
Registered User
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Woodland
Posts: 1,506
Yj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racincowboy View Post
Thank you Island TJ we like to play hard as well. This project has taken alot of blood, sweat and tears so far it is only going to get better as we can get out there and start building trails. You guys are going to like what you will see up there as we get them open. Beautiful views of surrounding mountains.

If you want up to the minute updates and other motorsports activities around the northwest go sign up for our forum at Home. I try and cross post everything 4x4 related over here as well but I cant always get to everything. We are a motorsports club into 4x4 racing, atvs, motorcyles, snowmobiles, sprint boat racing, drag racing and of course trail riding in our jeeps.

Again thank you for the kind words you dont know how much it means to us when we have hit roadblocks along the way its you guys that keep us motivated to get the job done.

Cool info.
I signed up.
Hope I can help out someday. I'm in Washougal.

US Army combat vet
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 3.6
Armed Forces Jeeps Member #125
Red Jeep Club Member #251

In the Portland/Vancouver area? Check 'em out! Piston's Wild Motorsports Club

Click here for 2.5L AX5 to AX15 swap
czjeeper is offline  
post #11 of 22 Old 10-23-2009, 12:29 PM
Roye77
Registered User
2011 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Oregon
Posts: 212
Jordan creek up towards Archers has some good trails they head towards Browns camp and Lyda (not sure about the spelling) camp. I do these all the time with my kids and wife. By the way anyone looking for a wheeling partner on a weekend I live in Tillamook so I'm close by and always interested just PM me.

"All men are created equal, then a few become firemen." ~Author Unknown
"Volunteer firemen do it for free!" ~Author Unknown
Roye77 is offline  
post #12 of 22 Old 05-24-2010, 03:12 AM
AniesR
Registered User
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Portland
Posts: 6
Hey everyone. Ive got a RWD WJ and wondering if its worth taking it on a trail. I REALLY wanna take it out on one, but not sure if I can even take it. Im in Beaverton and looking to find a nice trail in the area, thanks.
AniesR is offline  
post #13 of 22 Old 05-24-2010, 03:54 AM
ReconBen
Registered User
1987 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 694
Someone may disagree but personally I would suggest keeping it on firebreak roads as it is only 2 wheel drive. however if you check the longbeach thread out you will see that a bunch are going on June 13th I believe is the date. and you can have a bit of fun out their knowing you are in good hands of fellow members to help you out when you bury it. It would be nice if you can get ATLEAST one tow point though so you can be pulled out without harming your vehicle regardless what you decide. however if your on longbeach it is sand and I can lend you a shovel and 2 hands to help dig. and welcome to the forum.
ReconBen is offline  
post #14 of 22 Old 05-26-2010, 12:00 PM
SmashinTJs
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Tigard, Oregon
Posts: 429
Ben,

Anymore info on the Dirt Church?

Steve

RED 1997 Modded TJ l 3.5 Rancho l PIAA's l 33'' KM2 l Custom Yakima Roof Setup l Armor l.

TJ TECH BOOT CAMP: READ IF NEW

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tj-tech-boot-camp-must-read-new-tj-owners-forum-members-722109/
Help us form the JF Search and Rescue Team
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/jf-rescue-704069/
Quote:
Originally Posted by scavanau View Post
Is that bumper weighted to keep you from catching air at highway speed?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthWhiteWolf View Post
Well no (why would it) :confused:
Quote:
Originally Posted by scavanau View Post
Because I think your fender flares could easily pass for wings
SmashinTJs is offline  
post #15 of 22 Old 05-26-2010, 03:36 PM
ReconBen
Registered User
1987 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmashinTJs View Post
Ben,

Anymore info on the Dirt Church?

Steve
Eh looks like I am headed to the coast this weekend and I have to drive right past it, I will post some pictures and see if i can dig up any more info. I was out their early April and it is still open, and I didn't see one other person out their other then a logging truck on the main line.
ReconBen is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
Good driveshaft shop in Portland merkur92 Oregon Jeep Forum 5 04-18-2014 04:39 PM
Place around Bellingham WA for light/mild off roading?? Bertamus Washington Jeep Forum 3 02-12-2010 05:56 PM
Good place to get steel in Raleigh? gharris54 South East USA 0 05-27-2009 02:14 PM
Good place to Regear-Atlanta, Ga HandBananas South East USA 9 05-06-2009 10:23 AM
A good place to regear? BulldogTJ98 Washington Jeep Forum 10 01-20-2009 12:07 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome