Desperate Help Needed!!!!! ASAP - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North West USA > Oregon Jeep Forum > Desperate Help Needed!!!!! ASAP

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 04-14-2012, 05:36 PM   #1
NW99XJ
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Desperate Help Needed!!!!! ASAP

Working on my axle U-joints.... But I've run out of leverage. All I have is my trusty H.F. Press tool, which has worked fine for drive line joints, but its just not doing the trick for these axle joints. I have the shaft(s) out, and the axle side of the U-joint out, but the short shaft side is giving me trouble. I've tried everything, heat, hammering, breaker bar on my press tool, Nothing is working.
The XJ is our only vehicle right now, and I dont have anyone nearby to call for help... other than maybe you guys...So is there anyone willing to come out to my place in Gresham, and give me hand.... or a ride to a shop who has a press, or who has a press themselves, and can press the rest of these old crusty U-joints out of my axles for me? I'm totally out of commission until I can get this resolved!
Gas money, home made dinner, beer, etc. can/will be provided.
Thanks in advance.

NW99XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2012, 06:22 PM   #2
jonwood
2003 TJ Wrangler 

A hammer and a socket should work. grab a slightly smaller socket than the U joint cap and beat. if its not going on then take the cap off to make sure a needle bearing didnt come out and sit funny inside( i have had that happen)
Unread 04-14-2012, 06:27 PM   #3
NW99XJ
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Yea, i've hit this with heat, AND the BFH....no luck. They're in there pretty good. The one side came out with ALOT of reluctance... I got the one cap off and it was nothing but red dust inside. The other cap exploded on me. If I had a vice...then I'd be able to lock my press tool into position, and get the leverage I need....
Unread 04-14-2012, 10:35 PM   #4
jonwood
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Hmmmm you sure you have the right joints? I have never needed a press I always use a 5lbs hammer and a brass punch and can do them from start to finish in 30 min.
Unread 04-15-2012, 01:29 AM   #5
NW99XJ
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwood View Post
Hmmmm you sure you have the right joints? I have never needed a press I always use a 5lbs hammer and a brass punch and can do them from start to finish in 30 min.
I'm sure they're the right joints as they've been in the vehicle for 205k miles.... its getting them out is what seemed to be the trouble..... I managed to find some help in the local Jeep community here, a guy who had a big hydraulic press, and we got the old ones out.... but when trying to put the new 760's in, he blew the end of one of the caps off of one new joint, and we couldn't get the clips on the other.... so now I'm back home with 1 1/2 u-joints that dont fit.... The Spicer boxes are labeled 5-760, but the joints (both of them) are stamped 549... not sure if this has anything to do with it or not. All I know is that I now have to find a way to the parts store tomorrow to get some "lesser brand" joints to put in there that will fit.... at least I got the old ones out -that was the hard part.
Unread 04-15-2012, 01:36 AM   #6
justanotherjpr

You can put the stub shafts back in the bearings and stuff rags in the axle tubes to keep debris out. It's safe to drive this way as long as you have the stub shaft through the bearing with the axle nut properly torqued.

I would bet you dropped a needle by accident and that's why the cap blew out.
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2012, 11:54 AM   #7
NW99XJ
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherjpr View Post
You can put the stub shafts back in the bearings and stuff rags in the axle tubes to keep debris out. It's safe to drive this way as long as you have the stub shaft through the bearing with the axle nut properly torqued.

I would bet you dropped a needle by accident and that's why the cap blew out.
Good to know... I was thinking about that but didnt want to risk it. The needle bearings were all there when the cap blew out, it was kind of weird too. We had the clip on that side and were trying to get the other cap in far enough to clear the ears to get the clip on when it blew out. We measured the center sections of the old vs. new, and they're the same length, but for some reason they dont seat down far enough....It was the same story, only worse on the other shaft. Maybe its the seals? I dont know.... these are the "sealed/non-greasable" kind... maybe those just dont work for the HP D30 shafts.
Unread 04-15-2012, 03:07 PM   #8
jonwood
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I donno but something is wrong, and there is nothing special in a high pinion d30 shaft from a low pinion d30 shaft. There the same. That and the nongreasable joints are better IMO
Unread 04-15-2012, 03:35 PM   #9
justanotherjpr

Did you bend the ears of the shaft trying to remove the old joints?
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2012, 06:23 PM   #10
IslandTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Location: where I wheel: N 45º 36.663' W 123º 20.935', Oregon
Same exact thing happened to me yesterday. Driver's side went without issue but the passenger's side was the complete opposite . I also bought Spicer 760x and it did not want to fit into the longer axle yoke. I had to gently hammer the joint in, which was weird as the original joint came out easily, I don't look forward to taking it back out but I imagine I will in the future since I cracked a portion (retaining channel) of the u-joint where the retaining clip sits. I cracked it while I was pressing in the opposite side to give more room to seat the opposite clip. Well when I was doing this, there was enough force to press the opposite clip hard against the retaining channel to crack it.

To top it off, the rubber seal deformed while I was trying to press in the new joint into the yoke. We'll see how long the joint lasts...

Lastly, when I was done and took the Jeep on a test drive, everything felt fine. As a last step, I did a visual inspection on the joints and noticed that there was coolant dripping from my radiator petcock, when I reached up to turn and tighten it - the top portion snapped right off. Spent the day today drilling out the rest of the petcock and driving around looking for a replacement. Found a 3/8 nylon hex bolt at Home Depot that fit perfectly in the drain outlet. Finally done with the Jeep for this weekend. At least it wasn't raining...
1998 TJ Moss [COLOR=darkgreen][B][SIZE=3]Green[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR] Sahara w/ numerous scratches & dents whose playground is on a tropical island that's 33 miles long and 4-12 miles wide, in year-round 82 degree weather.

[Edit] "Now jeepin in Oregon" [/Edit]
IslandTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2012, 08:22 PM   #11
NW99XJ
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

(sorry Island...sounds like we both had a banner weekend!)
Well all is done..... got the new (napa brand/precision-ultra heavy duty) u-joints in, but not without trouble... i'm pretty sure the ears were bent after trying to remove the old ones. I tried everything I could to get them to straighten out, but I ended up having to grind about a 1/16" off between the two ears in order to clear the clips.
Got it all back together, and took it for a test drive, came back and noticed my passenger tire all wet....looks like I damaged the shaft seal when putting the axle back in.....F_CK!!!! I swear, If its not one thing its another.... So it looks like I now have to tear apart the 30 completely now. Hope I can drive on this for a few days....

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.