couple o questions pdx area? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North West USA > Oregon Jeep Forum > couple o questions pdx area?

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comWarn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORClayton Off Road XJ Long Arm Suspension Systems!

Unread 09-04-2008, 09:35 PM   #1
ta2rtist
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Tj couple o questions pdx area?

so just got my tj bout 3 weeks ago and slowly getting to know her, however shes runnin too slow, 2.5, ( for what i paid it was too good ) now i have a good line on a 4.0, but i am not sure how much work it would take, and if its worth it. i paid 2500 for this jeep and ill put up some pics , it was a great deal, so i think i can justify the swap moneywise but dont wanna have her down too long , so i thought maybe gearing it would help with accl., cant decide which is better.
any thoughts would be greatly appriciated, oh yeah the 2.5 has 110k on it.
thanx again for any help

ta2rtist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2008, 01:11 PM   #2
FooK
2002 WJ 

Start with a re-gear. If you're still unsatisfied with the results, then do the 4.0.

At that point you'll already be geared for a taller tire.

You can talk to Garrett at Rob's Off-Road on HWY212 in Clackamas for parts/labor.
Driver #1724 Team WP Jeepspeed
Co-Driver #36 ERS Rally Team
FooK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2008, 10:30 PM   #3
ta2rtist
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FooK View Post
Start with a re-gear. If you're still unsatisfied with the results, then do the 4.0.

At that point you'll already be geared for a taller tire.

You can talk to Garrett at Rob's Off-Road on HWY212 in Clackamas for parts/labor.
so i called and he never got back to me with prices, anyone else you can refer me to?
Unread 09-26-2008, 09:32 AM   #4
IslandTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Location: where I wheel: N 45║ 36.663' W 123║ 20.935', Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ta2rtist View Post
so i called and he never got back to me with prices, anyone else you can refer me to?
Welcome to JF ta2rtist

There are three reputable shops in our area:

1. Woody's 4x4, Inc. in Vancouver
2. Leonards Off Road in Hillsboro
3. Rob's Off Road in Clackamas

Dependent on your location, any of the above should be able to take care of your needs
1998 TJ Moss [COLOR=darkgreen][B][SIZE=3]Green[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR] Sahara w/ numerous scratches & dents whose playground is on a tropical island that's 33 miles long and 4-12 miles wide, in year-round 82 degree weather.

[Edit] "Now jeepin in Oregon" [/Edit]
IslandTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2008, 09:34 AM   #5
IslandTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Oh, and I recommend regearing - get locked while you're at it.
1998 TJ Moss [COLOR=darkgreen][B][SIZE=3]Green[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR] Sahara w/ numerous scratches & dents whose playground is on a tropical island that's 33 miles long and 4-12 miles wide, in year-round 82 degree weather.

Unread 09-26-2008, 11:02 PM   #6
ta2rtist
1997 TJ Wrangler 

thanx, gonna lock it with arbs? someone suggested detroit?
Unread 09-27-2008, 09:40 AM   #7
IslandTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
thanx, gonna lock it with arbs? someone suggested detroit?
Both are great lockers, one is automatic (Detroit) while the other is a selectable (ARB). The ARB costs more than the Detroit and is worth it for many, due to it's ability to switch to an open diff when off. Sometimes our winters get snow and ice, if your Jeep will be your daily driver in the winter - I would consider a selectable. Given the short wheelbase of the TJ, the rear tends to swing out (from a stop, turning left or right) during acceleration on ice or snow with a auto locker like a Detroit. Switching snow or ice covered lanes during acceleration can also be scary with an auto locker. However, Detroits are extremely reliable though. If it weren't for our winters, I would have opted for a Detroit softlocker, but I am satisfied with my decision to install a TrueTrac in my D35. The TrueTrac limited slip fits my needs spot on, as I rarely lift a tire and I don't do rocks.

What rear axle do you have? If it's a D35, I wouldn't recommend locking it unless without upgrading the axle with a Super/Grande 30 splined kit. If you have a D44, this kit upgrade is unnecessary.

Good luck with your choice and remember...

Jeep hard, Jeep safe!
-ken

Unread 09-29-2008, 08:09 PM   #8
FooK
2002 WJ 

Quote:
call them again they probably just got busy
Driver #1724 Team WP Jeepspeed
Co-Driver #36 ERS Rally Team
FooK is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.