Cheap Jeep repairs in the Portland area? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North West USA > Oregon Jeep Forum > Cheap Jeep repairs in the Portland area?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 06-15-2010, 05:32 PM   #1
konad
1997 ZJ 

Cheap Jeep repairs in the Portland area?

Well I just bought a ZJ from a guy in Molalla and it has a torn CV boot, He agreed to do the repair this weekend but once I discovered both CV boots are torn and I likely need new axles he doesn't seem so eager to help.

Does anyone have a good suggestion as to the cheapest way to go about repairing this? Its a done deal, I bought the car. My fault. Any help would be appriciated.

Is this what I need? (passenger side too of course.) http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/de...QA1603220.html

Last edited by konad; 06-15-2010 at 05:55 PM..
konad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2010, 10:10 AM   #2
sdmoose429
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by konad View Post
Well I just bought a ZJ from a guy in Molalla and it has a torn CV boot, He agreed to do the repair this weekend but once I discovered both CV boots are torn and I likely need new axles he doesn't seem so eager to help.

Does anyone have a good suggestion as to the cheapest way to go about repairing this? Its a done deal, I bought the car. My fault. Any help would be appriciated.

Is this what I need? (passenger side too of course.) 1993-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Axle Assembly - A1 Cardone - Front, Driver Side, OE comparable
Do you want cheap, or good value? PM me for some suggestions
Unread 06-16-2010, 10:30 AM   #3
IslandTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Location: where I wheel: N 45║ 36.663' W 123║ 20.935', Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmoose429 View Post
Do you want cheap, or good value? PM me for some suggestions
There is a difference .
1998 TJ Moss [COLOR=darkgreen][B][SIZE=3]Green[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR] Sahara w/ numerous scratches & dents whose playground is on a tropical island that's 33 miles long and 4-12 miles wide, in year-round 82 degree weather.

[Edit] "Now jeepin in Oregon" [/Edit]
IslandTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2010, 04:59 PM   #4
WJ00

Does anyone know a good shop for front rotor repairs in Portland / Hillsboro / Beaverton, Oregon? I'd like to do the repair myself, but I've never changed the brakes / rotors before so I'd like to watch someone if possible before attempting it myself. But for now, I'd just like to find a place that will do the job right without costing more than the Jeep is worth.
WJ00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2010, 05:17 PM   #5
IslandTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Location: where I wheel: N 45║ 36.663' W 123║ 20.935', Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJ00 View Post
Does anyone know a good shop for front rotor repairs in Portland / Hillsboro / Beaverton, Oregon? I'd like to do the repair myself, but I've never changed the brakes / rotors before so I'd like to watch someone if possible before attempting it myself. But for now, I'd just like to find a place that will do the job right without costing more than the Jeep is worth.
This is the way to do it...

Jeep TJ Front Disc Brake Pads and Rotor Replacement

It's really not that difficult. I would also invest in a chilton, haynes or the factory service manual.
1998 TJ Moss [COLOR=darkgreen][B][SIZE=3]Green[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR] Sahara w/ numerous scratches & dents whose playground is on a tropical island that's 33 miles long and 4-12 miles wide, in year-round 82 degree weather.

[Edit] "Now jeepin in Oregon" [/Edit]
IslandTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2010, 05:27 PM   #6
ReconBen
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Do you have a place and the tools to do it? If so their are a few of us that I am sure wouldn't mind helping you out as it is pretty straitforward. If not, someone may chime in here with an offer of a place. (I would but my yard limits us to sunny days) lol.
ReconBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2010, 06:01 PM   #7
konad
1997 ZJ 

I have a decent space and I have the tools except for the (36mm?) one for the hub. I was just quoted at $470 from Meineke for both front half shafts. It looks like thats all I need done. and honestly thats not a terrible price as far as i can tell.
konad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2010, 10:18 AM   #8
sdmoose429
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I have a decent space and I have the tools except for the (36mm?) one for the hub. I was just quoted at $470 from Meineke for both front half shafts. It looks like thats all I need done. and honestly thats not a terrible price as far as i can tell.
That is a fair price. There is much more to changing the half shafts than there is with the rotors.
Unread 06-17-2010, 11:50 AM   #9
WJ00

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandTJ View Post
This is the way to do it...

Jeep TJ Front Disc Brake Pads and Rotor Replacement

It's really not that difficult. I would also invest in a chilton, haynes or the factory service manual.
I have a garage where I could do it, but since the Jeep is my only vehicle and it's a 5 mile trek to the auto-parts store... If I had an extra car, I'd probably attempt it. That's why I'd like to find a shop that will allow me to watch them change it so that I can at least do brake pads myself and save some money next time.

The calipers on my WJ were actually undersized for the weight of the vehicle. Jeep changed them in 2002, but the upgrade calipers are $280 and I've only had to change the rotors once or twice so far over a 10 year period (only 82000 miles). The other factor is that I might not even need new rotors. I probably do, but a shop might be able to repair rather than replace.
WJ00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2010, 06:13 PM   #10
ReconBen
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Is this what I need? (passenger side too of course.) 1993-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Axle Assembly - A1 Cardone - Front, Driver Side, OE comparable
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJ00 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmoose429 View Post
That is a fair price. There is much more to changing the half shafts than there is with the rotors.
Yeah, Rotors and half-shaft guy are different people. lol, I know how to do the rotors, but am ok to help with either. I'm sure their is a write up on here or pirate lol.
ReconBen is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.