Back in the NW. Now I need a Jeep! And advice. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North West USA > Oregon Jeep Forum > Back in the NW. Now I need a Jeep! And advice.

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!

Unread 11-11-2010, 01:08 PM   #1
nwAdamR
2008 JK Wrangler 

Back in the NW. Now I need a Jeep! And advice.

Hey all.

This is my first post here, and let me just say... super stoked on this forum. Lots and lots of useful information. Nice work!

I just recently moved back to the Pacific Northwest after living down in Cali for almost 10 years. IT'S GREAT TO BE BACK! Now that I'm back, however, I'm ready to get an appropriate vehicle... something that I can take off the pavement and into the forest, mud and snow and not worry about getting stuck, etc... So, I'm in the market for a Jeep! And it would be awesome to get some advice from the people who would know best: YOU!

I know most of you guys are pretty hard-core. That's great! But I'm not that hard-code (yet, at least). I'm wanting something used, but not that used. Can you let me know what you think about the '07 Wrangler JK (4x4, of course)? I'm diggin' the 4-door for the extra room (room for friends, camping equipment, snowboards, etc).

Here's a bit of a twister: I'd like something that the lady can drive, but she doesn't know how to drive a manual. And, there's a chance that this Jeep would be her daily driver (since I work from home and she doesn't). Is this lame? Should I get a manual instead and let her drive my car (VW Mk5 R32) as the daily driver?

What do you guys think about something like this? * * * * * 2007 JEEP UNLIMITED 4 DOOR 4X4 WRANGLER * * * * * Hardtop (This like will probably die sometime soon.) How's the price on this? Normal?

I'm really looking forward to hitting the dirt! Especially with snow season pretty much here. Hopefully go on some group off-road trips with you guys. I'm curious, would the Jeep I listed above be able to hit some fun and exciting trails? Nothing to crazy (like this: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f157/...-10-a-1089358/), but maybe a step below crazy. Or, should I get something older that I can spend some extra cash to beef up, etc?

Thanks guys and gals for any advice. If you have any questions that'll help with your guidance, ask away.

Thanks again,
Adam.

nwAdamR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2010, 10:42 AM   #2
md41969
2008 JK Wrangler 

Welcome back to the NW and welcome to JF.

I can't answer all you questions but give you some of my opinions on the JK. I've got an 08 unlimited and love it. There is quite a bit of room in it, especially with the back seats down. I've surprised people with how much can be stuffed back there. You should be able to find some good deals on 07-08's as people start getting rid of them. Just keep your eye open and something will pop up, but personally wouldn't get one without a hard top.

As for manual vs auto, that's up to you. These get pretty bad mileage so if her commute is very long or is during rush hour you might have her drive the VW. I get between 15-17 and just live with it, also have 35's and a lift which doesn't help any.

Browns Camp, the trail link you posted, is close and has all kinds of trails from easy to ridiculously hardcore. Even stock you'd be able to go and have some fun, mine will handle way more than I'm willing to try.

I'd say find a decent used JK and start building it up. They are pretty easy to work on, suspension and what not, so you can save some cash there. The older Jeeps are good too so you can't go wrong with what ever you choose and of course I'm biased towards the JK unlimited.

Matt
1995 Wrangler

White Jeep Club Member #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourbyFour View Post
"....you know what hurts the most, it's the lack of respect, that hurts the most.....and, and the the other thing hurts too, BUT not as much as the lack of respect..disgusting.."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob99 View Post
Your dog's head doesn't look like it belongs on his body. Is it an aftermarket head?
md41969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2010, 10:39 AM   #3
nwAdamR
2008 JK Wrangler 

Thanks Matt! Great advice. Much appreciated!

Thanks for the heads-up about the gas milage. Pretty much what I expected. We did a little hiking at Brown's camp this last summer. I'm looking forward to going back with a Jeep. Is Brown's a good place to go all year round (ie, in the wet/winter time)?

We test drove an '08 Rubicon 4-door this weekend. 38k miles. Felt great! It's got the hard top installed and the (never used) soft top in the back. We're feeling pretty good about it... thinking about taking the plunge. Do you have any pictures of your '08 with the lift and 35's? I think the first thing thing to do would be get new tires, but might want a little lift at the same time.

Thanks again! I'll keep you posted.

Aam.
Unread 11-15-2010, 04:57 PM   #4
IslandTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Location: where I wheel: N 45║ 36.663' W 123║ 20.935', Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwAdamR View Post
Is Brown's a good place to go all year round (ie, in the wet/winter time)?
It is .

1998 TJ Moss [COLOR=darkgreen][B][SIZE=3]Green[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR] Sahara w/ numerous scratches & dents whose playground is on a tropical island that's 33 miles long and 4-12 miles wide, in year-round 82 degree weather.

[Edit] "Now jeepin in Oregon" [/Edit]
IslandTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2010, 10:52 PM   #5
md41969
2008 JK Wrangler 

Of course I have pictures, here's a couple from two trips up. I've had pretty good luck the times I've went up. Only once was there too much snow and the rigs I was with got stuck right off the bat so we didn't venture in. It does rain a lot up there though. You can through a BB on for cheap, Rough Country has one for 140 that will give you 2", basic lift to hold you over. Grab one and go have fun.

1995 Wrangler

Quote:
"....you know what hurts the most, it's the lack of respect, that hurts the most.....and, and the the other thing hurts too, BUT not as much as the lack of respect..disgusting.."
Quote:
Your dog's head doesn't look like it belongs on his body. Is it an aftermarket head?
Unread 11-16-2010, 10:33 AM   #6
nwAdamR
2008 JK Wrangler 

That's awesome guys! Thanks for the pictures (and video)!! Very cool!

We ended up taking the plunge. We got the '08 Rubicon 4-door last night. We're pretty excited and lookin' forward to getting her dirty. Might check out Brown's on Saturday! (Anyone have a trail map they can forward?)

Any advice on a navi unit? Anything that includes trails too? If not, a breadcrumb feature would be a must.

Here's a quick picture:

Thanks again all!! See you on the trails!

-Adam.
Unread 11-16-2010, 12:01 PM   #7
IslandTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Location: where I wheel: N 45║ 36.663' W 123║ 20.935', Oregon
Nice Rubi nwAdamR .

You can pick up a trail map at the Gales Creek Shell Gas Station (next to Coleman's Shady Rest) while on your way to Browns Camp.

55870 NW Wilson River Hwy Gales Creek, OR
Phone: 503-357-9645

Make sure you also pick up an OHV permit to avoid a potential $ fine. The Shell station usually sells the permits but be aware - they do run out of permits sometimes.

As for a GPS, I use the Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx (which is what S&R uses). I used to use a Garmin eTrex but it often lost the Sat signal under heavy tree canopy. I've never lost a signal with the 60CSx .
1998 TJ Moss [COLOR=darkgreen][B][SIZE=3]Green[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR] Sahara w/ numerous scratches & dents whose playground is on a tropical island that's 33 miles long and 4-12 miles wide, in year-round 82 degree weather.

[Edit] "Now jeepin in Oregon" [/Edit]
IslandTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2010, 09:06 PM   #8
hoosier
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwAdamR View Post
That's awesome guys! Thanks for the pictures (and video)!! Very cool!

We ended up taking the plunge. We got the '08 Rubicon 4-door last night. We're pretty excited and lookin' forward to getting her dirty. Might check out Brown's on Saturday! (Anyone have a trail map they can forward?)
Nice! You'll love it! I have an 08 Rubicon 4-door as well, and it's great. I've only been to Brown's camp a couple of times but it was a lot of fun.

Here's an electronic version of the TSF trail map.
hoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2010, 09:34 PM   #9
md41969
2008 JK Wrangler 

Congrats Adam, good looking Jeep. As Island said, don't forget that permit if you go to Browns Camp. I've usually taken along someone who's ran the trails before. Even with a map I'm not confident finding my way around up there, just haven't been enough. But the worst that would happen is that you end up at the coast, which isn't so bad. A guy I work with goes quite a bit and says when in doubt just head downhill.
1995 Wrangler

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 11-16-2010, 10:25 PM   #10
06_LJCON
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Beautiful jeep! Welcome back!!

(SOLD) 1987 wrangler 2.5L 5-speed BLACK!
S.O.A. with 4" springs and a 2" body lift. Lincon locked front. 33" TSL's NEED bigger tires!!

(WRECKED) 2002 Apex Wrangler 4.0L 5-Speed Silver
2.5" skyjacker single flex, skyjacker shicks, Rock Krawler adjustable lower control arms f/r, 1.25" JKS body lift, 1" JKS motor mount lift, JKS Quicker Disconnects, Warn engine/transmission skid plate, Rock Crusher Front diff cover, Poison spyder rocker knockers, 1.25 wheel spacers, 4.10 gears f/r, Detroit Trutrack rear, aussie automatic locker front

(CURRENT) 2006 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited LJ 4.0L 6-speep, Silver, 3.5" Rubicon express lift with Rubicon express disconnects. Hella 500 lights, HID Bi-xenon headlights, Rock-It intake, Red top Optima, Factory MOPAR rocker knockers, TNTCustoms Front full tube fenders, 35x12.5R15 BFG KM2, Black steel wheels.
06_LJCON is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2010, 09:51 AM   #11
nwAdamR
2008 JK Wrangler 

Very, very cool guys! I very much appreciate the info and advice!!

I'll definitely grab an OHV permit before heading out on the trails. It's the least I can do to help maintain the trails, etc...

IslandTJ: Thanks for the advice on the Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx. I'll go check it out here shortly. Any particular map (via microSD) that you recommend?

hoosier: Thanks for the PDF map!

md41969: "When in doubt, just head downhill." Haha. That's great. Makes sense. Thanks! Though I know you're not suppose to bet your life on technology, hopefully I'll have a GPS device of some kind before going too deep into Brown's.

Looks like some possible crazy weather this weekend! I might postpone the Brown's trip this weekend and head up to Mt. Hood for some snow. We'll see. One thing's for sure: I'll be having fun in the Jeep whatever I do!

Thanks again all!!

-Adam.
Unread 11-17-2010, 09:52 AM   #12
MacK
2010 JK Wrangler 

Stick with a 2009 or newer. '07s had a lot of weird issues.
I don't want your d**n lemons! What the hell are these?! Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN!

Mango Tango 2010 JK Wrangler Rubicon
Silver 2000 TJ Wrangler Sport
---
Quote:
The 2008 Jeep Wrangler is not so much an SUV as it is an experience. It's slow and loud, handles poorly, has crummy interior materials and features doors that provide virtually no crash protection. But when it comes to off-road performance, the Wrangler is simply the best choice available.
MacK is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.