10-08-11 Jeepforum TSF run - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North West USA > Oregon Jeep Forum > 10-08-11 Jeepforum TSF run

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 10-09-2011, 10:15 PM   #1
IslandTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Location: where I wheel: N 45║ 36.663' W 123║ 20.935', Oregon
10-08-11 Jeepforum TSF run

Tillamook State Forest

October 8th JF run

Participants:
  • Chase (Red TJ)
  • Corcor4 (Silver XJ)
  • Fingerz (Silver TJ)
  • IslandTJ (Green TJ)
  • 141 (Blue TJ)
  • MoonyJohn (Blue WJ)
  • Nickfast (Green TJ)
  • NW99XJ (Black XJ)

It was a great day to wheel, perfect weather and conditions in TSF. The weather averaged around 60░ with a slight cloud overcast but the sun did manage to peek though towards the afternoon. Dust was kept to a minimum thanks to the rains of the days prior, and a slight mist during the early morning.

A total of 8 Jeeps participated on the run.

Staging

Everyone met up at the Rogers staging area to air down and disconnect.

Above from L-R: NW99XJ, Fingerz, Nickfast, Corcor4, 141, Chase and IslandTJ.

MoonyJohn.

Nickfast, Corcor4, and Chase.

1998 TJ Moss [COLOR=darkgreen][B][SIZE=3]Green[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR] Sahara w/ numerous scratches & dents whose playground is on a tropical island that's 33 miles long and 4-12 miles wide, in year-round 82 degree weather.

[Edit] "Now jeepin in Oregon" [/Edit]
IslandTJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2011, 10:17 PM   #2
IslandTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Trails

We started out our run by hitting Powerline, sections 4a and 4b (circled above). Rated moderate, this section was pretty much uneventful. There were puddles from the morning’s rainfall and a nice short hill climb that consisted of roots and embedded rocks. Everyone was able to transverse without any issues.

The next trail we hit was University Firepower 10 (circled above). Rated moderate, this particular trail has 2 nice hill climbs. The damp ground created a mud and clay mixture that gave a nice challenge for the group.

On our way to University Firepower…

University Firepower (1st section hill climb)

The 1st hill climb provided a great crystal ball of trails to come. While not a difficult hill, it is a good way to get started. As this particular hill was out in the open, it dried up significantly, where traction wasn’t an issue.

Chase

Corcor4, somehow I didn’t catch him on the way up.

MoonyJohn

NW99XJ

Nickfast

And 141 bringing up the rear.

University Firepower (2nd section hill)

The second hill on University Firepower proved to be a bit more interesting. Unlike the 1st hill, there was much more tree canopy and shade covering the trail, that the ground remained damp with a mixture of mud and clay.

Additionally, there were some off camber sections within the hill that caused some to momentarily lose traction. We all drove down this section and immediately turned around to climb back up. Note: as with all stills, the pics do not do this hill any justice.

Fingerz

MoonyJohn

NW99XJ

Corcor4

Nickfast

1998 TJ Moss [COLOR=darkgreen][B][SIZE=3]Green[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR] Sahara w/ numerous scratches & dents whose playground is on a tropical island that's 33 miles long and 4-12 miles wide, in year-round 82 degree weather.

Unread 10-09-2011, 10:18 PM   #3
IslandTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Powerline 4c & 4d

We made our way back to Powerline and continued on to sections 4c and 4d. On 4c, there are a few off camber sections that eventually lead to an uphill switchback strewn with a stump, boulders and some roots.

Fingerz

Chase

MoonyJohn

NW99XJ

Corcor4

Nickfast

Shortly after, we completed Powerline section 4c, onward to section 4d.

A view from another hill climb on section 4d.

Pics of the hill climb…

Fingerz

Chase

MoonyJohn

NW99XJ

Corcor4

Nickfast

After the completion of Powerline, we proceeded west and headed towards Bates Road 24.

Unread 10-09-2011, 10:20 PM   #4
IslandTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Bates Road 24

Rated difficult, Bates Road 24 at the bottom of the trail begins with 2 well placed berms at the entrance that may be present as a filter, for unmodified SUVs. Additional berms are placed apart from one another before one reaches the section of Bates where the ascent begins.

The 1st technical obstacle we encounter on Bates is a short off camber section that causes the driver’s front tire and passenger’s rear tire to droop simultaneously. If you are open and without adequate articulation, a sudden loss of traction will ensue.

IslandTJ

Fingerz

MoonyJohn

NW99XJ

Corcor4

Nickfast

Unread 10-09-2011, 10:21 PM   #5
IslandTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

The next technical obstacle on Bate’s was a “V – shaped” hill that if you straddled would force your tires inwards. Else, you could drop a side in the ‘V’.

Fingerz

MoonyJohn

NW99XJ

Corcor4

Nickfast

We kept on heading up Bate's Road and encountered a few more hill obstacles until we all made it to the top of the trail. At the top we all stopped for a quick lunch. After lunch, we descended back down and headed southeast towards Firebreak Five 14.

Unread 10-09-2011, 10:23 PM   #6
IslandTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Firebreak Five 14

Firebreak Five is personally one of my favorite trails in TSF, there are sections for all build types - from a stock Jeep to a buggy. The trail starts with a few off camber spots with stumps mixed with a variety of switchbacks. And then leads you to the...

"Rock o' DOOM"

Today's version of Firebreak Five offered slick, wet mud & clay - which immediately presented the group with a degree of traction challenges. Everyone elected to take the left side up.

Fingerz

NW99XJ

Corcor4

"Ouch!"

Nickfast

MoonyJohn

Unread 10-09-2011, 10:24 PM   #7
IslandTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

After the "Rock o' Doom", we proceed up to the next section of Firebreak Five - an up hill climb scattered of loose rocks, mud and clay.

Fingerz

MoonyJohn

Nickfast

Corcor4

Unread 10-09-2011, 10:24 PM   #8
IslandTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Towards the end of this section of Firebreak Five, there is a nice switchback that gives 2 options, 1st option - a tight rocky left turn surrounded by trees. The trees all have paint scars on them from the unfortunate rigs that misread how tight the turns actually were. The 2nd option is to take a left turn where you pivot your rig off a large boulder on the driver's side. We all opted for option 2.

IslandTJ

Fingerz

MoonyJohn

Nickfast

Corcor4

After we all completed the section, we decided to call it a day, it was roughly 4:00p. We all proceeded to Browns Camp day use area to air back up and reconnect.

Unread 10-09-2011, 10:25 PM   #9
IslandTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

All done!

Aloha!

Big mahalo to Chase, Corcor4, Fingerz, IslandTJ, 141, MoonyJohn, Nickfast, and NW99XJ! I had a great time on this run.

Unread 10-09-2011, 10:34 PM   #10
Corcor4
1990 XJ Cherokee 

GREAT WRITE UP island! lots of good pics, that freakin rock o' doom.. next time
Corcor4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2011, 10:40 PM   #11
Shewoolf
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Great Pics and write up! We never thought about going back up the soupy University trail LOL we went down. It was fun. I felt like mother nature was taking me on a ride LOL no help needed from me LOL
Shewoolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2011, 10:42 PM   #12
Shewoolf
2005 TJ Wrangler 

MoonyJohn I LOVE the color of your rig!
Shewoolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2011, 12:21 AM   #13
jameslee97206
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Great write up and a good read bro. Looks like everyone had fun.
jameslee97206 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2011, 10:00 AM   #14
Noplainsdrifter
1974 CJ5 

Very nice! Looks like all had a fantastic run. I'm severly disappointed I didn't make it. Next time for sure!
Unread 10-10-2011, 10:02 AM   #15
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Yesterday was good time for sure. Nice to meet some new wheeling friends too. Thanks to Ken for his guide service!
141 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.