Where To Go Offroading In Washington State - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North West USA > Washington Jeep Forum > Where To Go Offroading In Washington State

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Tweaks at JeepHutJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wd

Unread 07-19-2011, 06:40 PM   #16
lupinsea
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken123 View Post
SUper thanks! Well needed info for me. Can you take the Naches trail to like the Cle Elum area? Maybe an over night trip?

Thanks a bunch-
You "can" do it but it's a little more round-about.

From Enumclaw / Greenwater the Naches Trail will cross the Cascade mountains all on 4x4 trail. On the eastern side it will terminate at Forest Service (FS) Rd 1913. Once you hit that road turn right and drive maybe 1/2 block to the main FS Rd 19..... that paved road will take you all the way down to Hwy 410 near Cliffdell.

This puts you on the south side of Manastash Ridge from Cle Elum. To reach Cle Elum you need to climb up and over Manastash Ridge and drop down to I-90 on the north. You'll need a decent trail map to make it through the Manastash Ridge trails (take FS Rd 1708 up to the top of the ridge, then Tripod Flats trail to Manastash Campground, from there work your way on gravel roads to Cle Elum or backtrack to Ellensburg via the Manastash Rd). You can also head up Kaner Flats Trail or take some other FS Rds up from Cliffdell if you want to top off your fuel tank at the gas station.

As you can see, the whole route covers a fairly extensive swath of Washington state. It's tough to fit it all on a single map. And the one above shows approximations of where the trails and routes are. To go from Manastash Campground to Cle Elum is very confusing for me.... lots of different gravel FS roads. Only done it once with a guide and I got so turned around I couldn't figure out which way we were going other than "down hill" and (roughly) north-ish.

In the past some of my Jeep club members and I did a Naches - Manastash - Liberty Jeep run. Spent about 2 nights and 3 days on the trail. First day was crossing the Naches. Then we set up camp at Tripod Flat and spent some time wheel'n Manastash Ridge Trail. The second night we had made out way down into Cle Elum, grabbed a good burger at the burger joint on the east end of town, and headed up Hwy 97 to set up camp in Liberty. Spent the night wheel'n Liberty's trails and headed out the next day late afternoon for home heading back on I-90.

EDIT: Update July 25th, 2011

Due to massive flooding that wiped out several roads, Manastash Campground, Manastash Road, and Taneum Road and basically all access between I-90 and the Manastash trail system has been closed. So the above route is basically undoable.

Access to the Manastash trails is still possible via Hwy 410 and Naches Trail.

Sorry for the bad news. For more info I posted here.

Unread 07-22-2011, 12:41 AM   #17
xcape2usa

Jay, all this info is incredibly helpful. I find myself looking at this link often these last few days! Thanks for putting it together.
Lee
xcape2usa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2011, 06:02 PM   #18
4x4Jeep
2001 WJ 

yes thanks again. all this will be helpful, when i move to eastern WA/ID, although i wish there where more places closer to the Spokane area and not a 4-5 hour drive away.
Unread 08-08-2011, 07:20 PM   #19
paulp575
2007 JK Wrangler 

Jk Re: Where To Go Offroading In Washington State

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4Jeep View Post
yes thanks again. all this will be helpful, when i move to eastern WA/ID, although i wish there where more places closer to the Spokane area and not a 4-5 hour drive away.
Don't have to drive 4-5 hours to western WA. While eastern WA is quite limited, OHV-friendly Idaho has much more!

When you get here be sure to contact me. I can show you where the trails are. I also have the Motor Vehicle Use Maps for the Colville NF (NE WA) and the Idaho Panhandle NF (northern ID). They show all the legal motorized trails/roads.
=====================
Spokane WA
=========
Member of:
North Idaho Trail Blazers (NITB): http://www.nitrailblazers.org/
Washington Off-Highway Vehicle Alliance: http://www.wohva.org
EA WA ATV Association: http://www.ewatv.org/
paulp575 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2012, 06:13 PM   #20
maverick2107
2001 TJ Wrangler 

You rock man. I just moved here (Maple Valley) from Southern California. I've been trying to find some spots. Thanks!
maverick2107 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2013, 04:51 PM   #21
Submariner
Submariner

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I have wheeled all these. The only one that was disappointing was Tahuya. Use to have 20+ miles and slowly DNR shut down a little bit and then a little bit more and now it is more of a joke to say there is wheeling out there. Use to belong to the Quadrapaws 4x4 club upo there.

The rest are pretty good Minastash ridge was fun, as well as rimrock. great places to camp. head out on friday and drag you butt home on Sunday dog tired from wheeiling. fun times.

Best part is check with the Yakima county sheriff department for trail maps

With 20 years in the US Navy, and nine+ years underwater on Nuc Subs.

And they wonder why I am the way I am!!!!!!
Submariner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2013, 09:10 AM   #22
fourbtgait
1930 MK Patriot 

Anyone in Spokane area?

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
fourbtgait is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2014, 04:23 PM   #23
rootbeerfreak21
1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbtgait View Post
Anyone in Spokane area?

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
Im in the area
rootbeerfreak21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2014, 02:39 AM   #24
rootbeerfreak21
1977 CJ5 

Finally found the compressor trail on google maps I have been looking for the trail for 6-8 months. I feel so accomplished right now.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
rootbeerfreak21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2014, 12:40 PM   #25
terrabit

Any updates? I live in Seattle and am looking to hit some trails for the first time in a lotta years.

Thanks!
terrabit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.