Washington State Laws - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North West USA > Washington Jeep Forum > Washington State Laws

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 09-01-2009, 01:34 PM   #1
theAuthority

Washington State Laws

I was looking up lift laws, because I see atleast 2 full size '98 or newer fords rolling around with 52-56" tires and massive lifts pushing 13 ft.

Also wanted to see what the laws were about tire coverage since I was planning on gathering up some equipment for axle swap.

At the bottom is lists required equipment on vehicles.
Vehicle Classifications and Required Equipment - Washington State Patrol

Here is a list of passenger vehicles lift laws and bumper law

http://www.wsp.wa.gov/traveler/docs/.../passenger.pdf

Anyone wanna translate how this pertains to our jeeps.

It's saying doors are required and NO TIRES sticking out past fenders.

theAuthority is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2009, 12:09 AM   #2
deltabravo

I posted up a bunch of similar links to RCW's over at the WAVJC forum. Washington Virtual Jeep Club - wavjc.org - Jeep Jeeping Northwest Washington
deltabravo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2009, 10:01 AM   #3
Mykdiver
1997 ZJ 

I know of a lot of vehicles violating the tires sticking out past the fender rule, including mine! My 04 Hemi Durango does not conform to that either.

[B]OPTIONS:[/B] 4X4/AWD, 5.2L (318) V-8, PW, PDL, PS, PDB, A/C, Pwr Seats, Leather, Pwr Moon roof, Tow pack, Tow hooks
[B]MODS:[/B] Rough Country 4" Lift, 31" G/T Adventuro MTs(siped), Rear Aussie Locker, Cobra CB, Vent visors, K&N filter, tint, Sylvania Silverstar bulbs
[B]FUTURE PLANS:[/B] Swaybar disconnects, Adjustable track bars, Custom bumpers, Winch, Rock sliders, Braided brake lines, Headers, Exhaust, Mild rebuild on the 318, OD green paint job[/color]
[url=http://michaelsbarefootrunning.blogspot.com/][COLOR="Sienna"]My Barefoot Running Blog[/COLOR][/url]
[url=http://forum.minimalistrunner.com][color=sienna]My Minimalist Running Forum[/color][/url][/center]

/ []__[\,[____],
l--L--L----–olllllllo-
(o)_)---(o)_)--o-)_)
Mykdiver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2009, 10:21 AM   #4
theAuthority

Well that's what I've been trying to figure out, both my past 2 jeeps didn't meet those standards, I even got pulled over for speeding and he didn't notice, or that I had NO mirrors either. Even gave me a warning.
Unread 09-03-2009, 10:39 AM   #5
Mykdiver
1997 ZJ 

Yeah, it is an RCW, but they do not really ever pull you over for it. I think it is one of those things that if you are a jerk to them they can ticket you for. I have had a lot of vehicles that did not follow this law and I have never been pulled over.

[B]OPTIONS:[/B] 4X4/AWD, 5.2L (318) V-8, PW, PDL, PS, PDB, A/C, Pwr Seats, Leather, Pwr Moon roof, Tow pack, Tow hooks
[B]MODS:[/B] Rough Country 4" Lift, 31" G/T Adventuro MTs(siped), Rear Aussie Locker, Cobra CB, Vent visors, K&N filter, tint, Sylvania Silverstar bulbs
[B]FUTURE PLANS:[/B] Swaybar disconnects, Adjustable track bars, Custom bumpers, Winch, Rock sliders, Braided brake lines, Headers, Exhaust, Mild rebuild on the 318, OD green paint job[/color]
[url=http://michaelsbarefootrunning.blogspot.com/][COLOR="Sienna"]My Barefoot Running Blog[/COLOR][/url]
[url=http://forum.minimalistrunner.com][color=sienna]My Minimalist Running Forum[/color][/url][/center]

/ []__[\,[____],
l--L--L----–olllllllo-
(o)_)---(o)_)--o-)_)
Unread 09-03-2009, 10:50 AM   #6
theAuthority

What's the widest you've gone? I want to put on full width axles and find some extended flares .. ?
Unread 09-03-2009, 10:58 AM   #7
Mykdiver
1997 ZJ 

The widest I have gone in a Jeep is my rig now which is stock width, but I have gone to fullsize D60 front and a fullsize Ford 9" in my 1973 Bronco with 35X13.50R15s that I used to have.

I thought about fender flares, but I think I would just rip them off on the trail.

/ []__[\,[____],
l--L--L----–olllllllo-
(o)_)---(o)_)--o-)_)
Unread 09-08-2009, 05:08 AM   #8
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

It all depends on the cop and if they choose to enforce it or not, but I've checked on many law enforcement forums and all of them say doorless is fine so long as you have a mirror over there. Not sure about the legalese here in WA, but I've seen tons of non-Wranglers without doors -- old Land Cruisers, Broncos, Blazers mostly (also jacked to the sky with huge tires). I think Jeeps get a pass though because the doors are factory designed for removal and don't require owner modification; just like you can flop your windshield down and drive around, but you have to have some sort of eye protection conforming to the rules adopted by the state patrol -- whatever those are. I've looked and looked and emailed and called around and no one seems to know. I guess I'll ask SP the next time I get pulled over.

Also, you're supposed to have mudflaps that come down to the center of the axle (if your flares don't extend that far). But when's the last time you saw a brand new truck fresh off the lot that met those requirements? It's a ticky-tack thing, just try not to piss off the cop that pulls you over and you're likely to get off with only a warning or a fix-it ticket.

Last edited by PhilipJ; 09-08-2009 at 07:12 AM..
PhilipJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2009, 06:09 AM   #9
Mykdiver
1997 ZJ 

Good point, I forgot about the mudflap rule.

/ []__[\,[____],
l--L--L----–olllllllo-
(o)_)---(o)_)--o-)_)
Unread 09-08-2009, 07:26 AM   #10
keaton
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Ive been pulled over once for my tires sticking out too far and my exhaust. I think the main reason was because it was 4 am on the same road as a bar so I think he was just tryin to find a drunk driver or something. He let me off on both but i didnt have an updated insurance card so he got me for that. Oh well.
keaton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2009, 06:34 PM   #11
lupinsea
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I've been pulled over for a cracked windshield and not having a mirror. The officer never even mentioned a thing about the fender flare coverage (my tires stick out 1.5" beyond the flares). And this was the ONLY time I've been pulled over in my Jeep. It was just after doing some wine tasting in Eastern WA (can I say that and still drive my Jeep?) with my wife and I think the officer was staking out the road leading past several wineries looking for anyone too sloshed to drive. I'm not a wine drinker and hadn't had anything so he had to come up with something. Let me off with a warning . . . no ticket.

And after driving past officers over the years (even pulled up next to them in traffic or at stop lights) with the tires the way they are and no doors on it doesn't seem to be an issue.
Unread 09-08-2009, 06:51 PM   #12
theAuthority

I was pulled over doing 37 in a 25. Just changed to 25 mph 1 block in front of me. Was 30 mph before that.

My speedometer said 30

The copy let me off with a 'warning'. Never told me to fix it, was extremely polite, because my wife and I were polite.

I had no mirrors, no rear view or side mirrors. Tires stick out over 2 inches. Loud dual exhaust...

He just said 'nice jeep' and walked back to his car.

2 .. This was in my cherokee, 6" lift, roof rack, lights... I was sitting in the 'exit' driveway from our Apartments and a cop passed by and stared right at me. I knew he was eyeballing me, I hadn't done anything wrong.

He spun a quickie and followed me for 2 blocks while running my license plate. Pulled me over after another SUV cop pulled up behind me. Asked for my driver's license and particulars. The plate came up as PO with a suspended license. He had his hand on his gun a she approached. Like wtf? After he saw it was just me and my wife he cooled down and just let us go.

Never said nice jeep while I was in an XJ , haha....
Unread 09-09-2009, 03:19 PM   #13
lupinsea
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theAuthority View Post
Never said nice jeep while I was in an XJ , haha....
Probably because he was a SWB fan.

I think, too, you can attract attention if you're rig isn't looking up to snuff (if it's looking beat up with obvious stuff misisng) or it's obviously heavily modified or . . . you're actually speeding.

My rig is only lifted 2" with 32" tires. The rest of my Jeep looks mostly "normal" and not that tall. And when I drive my Jeep I don't speed. . . it's just no fun. . . pointless, really.
Unread 09-14-2009, 02:08 AM   #14
+Crusader+

If your vehicle is moderately built and you're polite, then 99.9% of the time you'll get just the obligatory warning. People get pulled over because it gives reason to search for the bigger things that make for a better bust.

If you are looking to get pulled over, then lift it too high, have too wide of tires on it, turn the stereo way up, and also be sure to show off your prison tats. Then when your arresting officer approaches you be sure to say, "Why you hasslin' me pig!"
Unread 09-18-2009, 10:08 PM   #15
paulp575
2007 JK Wrangler 

Jk

Quote:
Originally Posted by theAuthority View Post
I was looking up lift laws, because I see atleast 2 full size '98 or newer fords rolling around with 52-56" tires and massive lifts pushing 13 ft.

Also wanted to see what the laws were about tire coverage since I was planning on gathering up some equipment for axle swap.

At the bottom is lists required equipment on vehicles.
Vehicle Classifications and Required Equipment - Washington State Patrol

Here is a list of passenger vehicles lift laws and bumper law

http://www.wsp.wa.gov/traveler/docs/.../passenger.pdf

Anyone wanna translate how this pertains to our jeeps.

It's saying doors are required and NO TIRES sticking out past fenders.
As far as I have heard, this is what they go by:

http://www.wsp.wa.gov/traveler/docs/..._equipment.pdf

Print it out and keep it with you!

I've also heard that due to the state budget deficit, they are cracking down (poor choice of words????) on violations. One person I know was towing his highly modified rig on a trailer and was stopped by WSP and was asked to provide his registration so the office could verify if he had paid the correct fee to trailer that much weight! He had, so he was let go!

So watch out. With the state deficit they are looking for any reason to make some money!
=====================
Spokane WA
=========
Member of:
North Idaho Trail Blazers (NITB): http://www.nitrailblazers.org/
Washington Off-Highway Vehicle Alliance: http://www.wohva.org
EA WA ATV Association: http://www.ewatv.org/
paulp575 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.