van epps, naches, and fortune creek trails - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North West USA > Washington Jeep Forum > van epps, naches, and fortune creek trails

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 07-08-2013, 05:39 PM   #1
GOATjeep
2006 TJ Wrangler 

van epps, naches, and fortune creek trails

So my group just got started offroading, we've gone to tahuya a few times, but want to explore some of the other trails.

Are those three good for beginners with stock rigs?
Theres three tjs, an xj, and a lifted ford ranger(I believe its just a body lift, and he hasnt taken it offroad yet)

What order would you suggest we do it in? And any other trails we could run stock?Any we should avoid until we modify them more?

Veggie Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/adventures-lechuga-lettuce-1557657/
GOATjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2013, 01:34 PM   #2
72MellowYellow
1987 YJ Wrangler 

You could run quite a few trails in Elbe: Sunrise, mainline, gotcha, swamp, and rainier vista. Stay off the busy for sure. Just make sure you go in a group and have recovery equipment: winch, tree saver, etc.

Try to go when it's dry, the mud can get snotty and holes can be deeper than you think. The bigger rigs can tear it up in a hurry. Scout the trails out and use the bypasses. This is NOT Tahuya.

I ran most of Elbe in a YJ with 31's several times. We just had a stock 4 runner with us last weekend run it, however the longer wheel base took some beatings and had to work harder than the rest of us.

I would suggest this after you run a few more trails.
Unread 07-10-2013, 02:39 PM   #3
GOATjeep
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Well, we're not thinking of heading to elbe yet, from what I've read its a difficult area. We definitely want to upgrade but we want to explore some of the trails we could run stock you know?

Fortune creek attaches to van epps, could we do both stock then?

Veggie Build Thread
Unread 07-11-2013, 10:23 AM   #4
SnoqulmieTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Fortune creep trail can be done with a stock rig. Van epps pass (spur off of fortune creek trail) is harder, and changes seasonally. Van epps pass in a nut shell is a old ming road that gets covered with snow, so after many years of snow melting. The road is more like a dry river bed with elevation gain. Lots of loose rocks/ boulders along that path. Like any trail easy or extream it only takes a moment to turn a good situation into a bad one. Oh yea bring a camera lots of great views up there!!!
SnoqulmieTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2013, 12:35 PM   #5
Pawjob
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Not sure how far north you are but have you looked into Tillimook State forest OHV park in Oregon? I has everything from stock to buggy all trails are well mark with difficulty signs. Its about an hour and a half south of where I live in Longview.

1993 Wrangler, Rock Smashing Jeep, and November 2012 YJOTM... [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/rockcrawling-yj-build-1428039/"]YJ Build[/URL]
1.5" SOA, Stak 3 speed Tcase, 37" Swamper M16's...ALOTS of extras
Pawjob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2013, 03:42 PM   #6
GOATjeep
2006 TJ Wrangler 

So we'd be ok up there then, thanks! Just be more cautious in van epps?
Could both be done in one day or should we plan for overnight?

Veggie Build Thread
Unread 07-11-2013, 03:44 PM   #7
GOATjeep
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawjob View Post
Not sure how far north you are but have you looked into Tillimook State forest OHV park in Oregon? I has everything from stock to buggy all trails are well mark with difficulty signs. Its about an hour and a half south of where I live in Longview.
Im in bothell/bellevue area, way to far north for oregon, maybe in some road trip later on haha

Veggie Build Thread
Unread 07-11-2013, 03:44 PM   #8
GOATjeep
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoqulmieTJ View Post
Fortune creep trail can be done with a stock rig. Van epps pass (spur off of fortune creek trail) is harder, and changes seasonally. Van epps pass in a nut shell is a old ming road that gets covered with snow, so after many years of snow melting. The road is more like a dry river bed with elevation gain. Lots of loose rocks/ boulders along that path. Like any trail easy or extream it only takes a moment to turn a good situation into a bad one. Oh yea bring a camera lots of great views up there!!!
Well, we want to go in about a month, so itd be dry right?

Veggie Build Thread
Unread 07-16-2013, 03:53 PM   #9
lupinsea
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Hey, I'm near by in Bothell. Welcome to Jeep'n!

I would counsel that a stock TJ can handle "most" of the trails in the state. What we have up here isn't too insane but it's fun. That said, a little lift and some larger tires just makes it a little easier to do. So, don't be scared off most trail systems. Also, I've come to figure about 16-20 miles of 4x4 trail makes for a reasonably full day of Jeep'n, lunch eat'n, picture taking, and BS'n.

Good starter trails would be:

Nor Cle Elum
Anything in the North Cle Elum area (Van Epps trail, Fortune Creek, etc.). It is open seasonally from ~mid-June to ~mid-October (verify with the Cle Elum Forest Service office). With round trip travel times it makes for a full day. Camp or lunch on the shores of Gallagher Head Lake at the top of the Fortune Creek trail. Then press on to the top of the Hawkins Mt. Mine trail.

Liberty
This area was burned out by the big wild fire last year so I don't know what's open or nor. There is camping in the area and a lot of trails. The obstacles aren't too bad but some of the trails can be steep . . . which are easy in the dry but snot slick at the least hint of moisture. You could spend a weekend over here exploring the trails. There are about 48 miles of 4x4 trails, goo for 2-3 days of Jeep'n.

Naches
This would be ok. I'm not sure how the Ranger would fare but the XJ and TJs shouldn't have much of a problem. Last year I acted as a guide and ran some stock TJ's over this route as an beginner 4x4 church group. Only issue was one muddy section but once past that 10 ft of trail the rest was no sweat. You can stop at the Pacific Crest Trail (hiking trail) crossing and check out the log cabin on the edge of Government Meadows. The trail itself takes about 4-6 hrs to run at a relaxed pace. But there is the travel time to and from. If you run it west-to-east it dumps you out about 10 miles north of Hwy 410 on FS Rd 19 (paved). Where that meets up with Hwy 410 is halfway between Chinook pass and Naches, WA. It also drops you on the edge of Manastash Ridge ORV area.

For the last several years my friends and I have done a 4-day camping weekend where we take the Naches over the mountains, then motor up Manastash Ridge and set up camp. Then spend the next several days wheel'n Manastash Ridge.

Manastash
After we ran the Naches, I took the beginner 4x4 group over Manastash Ridge. It's an area encompassing approximately 115 sq miles of territory criss-crossed by 4x4 routes. None of them had any difficulty with the trails. Though there were some routes I did not take them on due to potential damage. THis is a big area and there were some closures and access issues a couple years ago due to storm damage. I'm not sure on the status of repairs.

There are about 86 miles of 4x4 trails here, enough for 3-4+ days of wheel'n

Some more advanced trails:

Evan's Creek
The stock TJs can run many of the trails down here, the stock XJ should be able to run a few with caution. I wouldn't take the stock Ranger down there. Too long and low. Stay off of trail #197 and you should be fine. Also, carefully scout the trails and back off of any you don't feel comfortable on. This wheel'n area is much more intense than the other areas. Not as bad as Elbe, IMO. With a full day you could run all the trails here, about 16+ miles total of 4x4 trails.

Walker Valley
Hm.... been a little while since I've been up there. Not sure of the current conditions. You could check it out, it's about 1 hr north of the Bothell / Woodinville area. About a day's worth of wheel'n on the 16 miles of trail.

Elbe
I don't get down here much but from what I remember and the pix I've seen it can get very intense, especially on Busywild. Probably a full day's worth of wheel'n but it's a 2 hr drive one way between Woodinville and Elbe.

Rimrock
Hoooboy. Make sure you brakes and cooling system are in good order. There are about 100 miles of 4x4 tralis in this area with most running straight up and down the sides of a big ridge. The trails get very steep and while most of that is straight up the side there are a few side-hill areas that can get hairy if you're not paying attention. This is about a 4 hr drive from Bothell / Woodinville area so if you're heading down it's best to make it a looong weekend, I'd recommend 3-4 days min, figuring half a day on each end of the trip gets burned up with travel.

Also, the closest gas station is 45 miles away so . . . bring some spare fuel cans if you plan to be wheel'n for more than a day. Otherwise you'll burn up about 3-4 gal of gas just getting from the gas station to the trail head.
Unread 07-17-2013, 10:05 AM   #10
clintrivera
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I've always wanted to run Rimrock.
Unread 07-19-2013, 01:14 AM   #11
GOATjeep
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupinsea View Post
Hey, I'm near by in Bothell. Welcome to Jeep'n!

I would counsel that a stock TJ can handle "most" of the trails in the state. What we have up here isn't too insane but it's fun. That said, a little lift and some larger tires just makes it a little easier to do. So, don't be scared off most trail systems. Also, I've come to figure about 16-20 miles of 4x4 trail makes for a reasonably full day of Jeep'n, lunch eat'n, picture taking, and BS'n.

Good starter trails would be:

Nor Cle Elum
Anything in the North Cle Elum area (Van Epps trail, Fortune Creek, etc.). It is open seasonally from ~mid-June to ~mid-October (verify with the Cle Elum Forest Service office). With round trip travel times it makes for a full day. Camp or lunch on the shores of Gallagher Head Lake at the top of the Fortune Creek trail. Then press on to the top of the Hawkins Mt. Mine trail.

Liberty
This area was burned out by the big wild fire last year so I don't know what's open or nor. There is camping in the area and a lot of trails. The obstacles aren't too bad but some of the trails can be steep . . . which are easy in the dry but snot slick at the least hint of moisture. You could spend a weekend over here exploring the trails. There are about 48 miles of 4x4 trails, goo for 2-3 days of Jeep'n.

Naches
This would be ok. I'm not sure how the Ranger would fare but the XJ and TJs shouldn't have much of a problem. Last year I acted as a guide and ran some stock TJ's over this route as an beginner 4x4 church group. Only issue was one muddy section but once past that 10 ft of trail the rest was no sweat. You can stop at the Pacific Crest Trail (hiking trail) crossing and check out the log cabin on the edge of Government Meadows. The trail itself takes about 4-6 hrs to run at a relaxed pace. But there is the travel time to and from. If you run it west-to-east it dumps you out about 10 miles north of Hwy 410 on FS Rd 19 (paved). Where that meets up with Hwy 410 is halfway between Chinook pass and Naches, WA. It also drops you on the edge of Manastash Ridge ORV area.

For the last several years my friends and I have done a 4-day camping weekend where we take the Naches over the mountains, then motor up Manastash Ridge and set up camp. Then spend the next several days wheel'n Manastash Ridge.

Manastash
After we ran the Naches, I took the beginner 4x4 group over Manastash Ridge. It's an area encompassing approximately 115 sq miles of territory criss-crossed by 4x4 routes. None of them had any difficulty with the trails. Though there were some routes I did not take them on due to potential damage. THis is a big area and there were some closures and access issues a couple years ago due to storm damage. I'm not sure on the status of repairs.

There are about 86 miles of 4x4 trails here, enough for 3-4+ days of wheel'n

Some more advanced trails:

Evan's Creek
The stock TJs can run many of the trails down here, the stock XJ should be able to run a few with caution. I wouldn't take the stock Ranger down there. Too long and low. Stay off of trail #197 and you should be fine. Also, carefully scout the trails and back off of any you don't feel comfortable on. This wheel'n area is much more intense than the other areas. Not as bad as Elbe, IMO. With a full day you could run all the trails here, about 16+ miles total of 4x4 trails.

Walker Valley
Hm.... been a little while since I've been up there. Not sure of the current conditions. You could check it out, it's about 1 hr north of the Bothell / Woodinville area. About a day's worth of wheel'n on the 16 miles of trail.

Elbe
I don't get down here much but from what I remember and the pix I've seen it can get very intense, especially on Busywild. Probably a full day's worth of wheel'n but it's a 2 hr drive one way between Woodinville and Elbe.

Rimrock
Hoooboy. Make sure you brakes and cooling system are in good order. There are about 100 miles of 4x4 tralis in this area with most running straight up and down the sides of a big ridge. The trails get very steep and while most of that is straight up the side there are a few side-hill areas that can get hairy if you're not paying attention. This is about a 4 hr drive from Bothell / Woodinville area so if you're heading down it's best to make it a looong weekend, I'd recommend 3-4 days min, figuring half a day on each end of the trip gets burned up with travel.

Also, the closest gas station is 45 miles away so . . . bring some spare fuel cans if you plan to be wheel'n for more than a day. Otherwise you'll burn up about 3-4 gal of gas just getting from the gas station to the trail head.
Thanks! I was really looking for an answer like this. I just got my tj in feb and really want to start going offroad more, only been up to tahuya twice, third time this sunday. After this trip, I plan on going camping in august at the cle elum trails since you guys have been saying stock is no problem. After that, going to take some time to save up for some modifications.

What part of Bothell? Im pretty much in dowtown Woodinville, but over the Bothell line, I live by Bill the Butcher. Maybe I've seen your rig?

Veggie Build Thread
Unread 07-27-2013, 02:24 PM   #12
1982cj8
2005 LJ Wrangler 

We are going to Rimrock Labor day weekend, there are a number of trails you can run stock, welcome to come along if you want.
rick

4X4XNORTHWEST.COM
1982cj8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.