Tire recommendations for PacNW Wheeling wanted - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North West USA > Washington Jeep Forum > Tire recommendations for PacNW Wheeling wanted

Official Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!1999-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Headlight Pair

Unread 02-08-2013, 05:26 AM   #1
Washi
Rockbiter

2009 JK Wrangler 

Tire recommendations for PacNW Wheeling wanted

Hey all. I will be stationed at McChord here shortly and am wondering what kind of tire you would recommend? I have two different rigs with two different needs. One is more of a road rig ('90 4Runner) that might see some beach time and snow and ice up towards Ranier and the passes as well. The other is my JKR that I plan on wheeling like crazy. I have been wheeling in Utah for the last few years and am now unsure of which tire would be best for the terrain up north. I know that tire choices are subjective and based off of opinion, but that what I would love to hear!

I am looking at some AT's for the Runner and some MT's for the JK...of course.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________________________________

/l ,[_____],
l----L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)-o-)_)
Washi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2013, 06:31 PM   #2
jonwood
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I like my Iroks, they do everything great.
Unread 02-08-2013, 08:41 PM   #3
Pawjob
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Iroks are awesome ive used them with great results but the tread life isnt good if you run them on road. I didnt have very good luck with the MT/R's with kevlar bought them new sold them less then 3 months later.

1993 Wrangler, Rock Smashing Jeep, and November 2012 YJOTM... [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/rockcrawling-yj-build-1428039/"]YJ Build[/URL]
1.5" SOA, Stak 3 speed Tcase, 37" Swamper M16's...ALOTS of extras
Pawjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2013, 08:11 AM   #4
1982cj8
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I have been running swamper ssr's for the last couple of sets and they work pretty well in most terrains. The price jumped a 100.00 per tire in the last couple of years so I switched to the MTR's and I really like them. They have worked very well in all terrain so far.

4X4XNORTHWEST.COM
1982cj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2013, 02:45 PM   #5
zjzach
1993 ZJ 

BFG All Terrains for the 4Runner.
Goodyear Kevlar MTRs for the JK
Unread 02-17-2013, 12:19 AM   #6
Washi
Rockbiter

2009 JK Wrangler 

So people have good luck with the Kevlar MTR's? I was lead to believe that they were not so great in mud, which I will guess that there is quite a bit of wet terrain out there.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________________________________

/l ,[_____],
l----L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)-o-)_)
Washi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 08:14 PM   #7
SnoqulmieTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

MTR's really popular, but you will have to pick the tire for you! What terrain do you plan on wheeling? There are so many great tires out there to choose from. I just got a set of duratac's , and I love them!
SnoqulmieTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2013, 08:55 PM   #8
SmashinTJs
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoqulmieTJ View Post
MTR's really popular, but you will have to pick the tire for you! What terrain do you plan on wheeling? There are so many great tires out there to choose from. I just got a set of duratac's , and I love them!
I picked up a set of duratrax just before Thanksgiving. They have been a great tire so far. Excellent in the snow and sand. Haven't had a chance to get them in too deep of mud yet but Id imagine they will do ok.

TJ TECH BOOT CAMP: READ IF NEW

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tj-tech-boot-camp-must-read-new-tj-owners-forum-members-722109/
Help us form the JF Search and Rescue Team
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/jf-rescue-704069/
Quote:
Originally Posted by scavanau View Post
Is that bumper weighted to keep you from catching air at highway speed?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthWhiteWolf View Post
Well no (why would it) :confused:
Quote:
Originally Posted by scavanau View Post
Because I think your fender flares could easily pass for wings
SmashinTJs is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.